Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Summer graze at the moment as I don’t think out-wintering or feeding in a yard would work well. We don’t have any slatted shed (yet!)

Ya they will be heavy bullocks to over winter outside 500kgs+ I would expect and 12 of them would want a bit of room.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was watching the heifers selling online in manorhamilton earlier. Thought they were a good enough trade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ya they will be heavy bullocks to over winter outside 500kgs+ I would expect and 12 of them would want a bit of room.

What kind of daily weight gain would you be talking about for these types of animal? I'm guessing there's nothing to be gained feeding them meal at this stage so they'll be on grass only for the next 4-5 months.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

What kind of daily weight gain would you be talking about for these types of animal? I'm guessing there's nothing to be gained feeding them meal at this stage so they'll be on grass only for the next 4-5 months.

Middle of October is 150 days. Will you hold that long? With good grass they might hit 120 kgs. When selling I am not sure it payd to give them 1-2 kgs for last 30 days. But it is very marginal. My own opinion is come late September unless you have loads of grass offload. It might even pay to chance them on DD in late August. A bit of hay or straw if they will eat it will stop them from being empty the day you sell if late in the year.

Yours looked a bit too good I prefer to buy Friesian s bit more storish. However there colouring suggest they are fairly square as friesian's go. It about getting weight on them and hoping for the best.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Was watching the heifers selling online in manorhamilton earlier. Thought they were a good enough trade.

The heifers were a great trade imo for all types, plenty of customers especially for good CHx and LMx heifer weanlings circa 300kg. There was a pen of very fleshy coloured SIMx heifers that were off the scale dear I thought, they'd be very middling cattle without all that feeding.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Ah you can’t beat good Kilkenny type Fr that got a good start, they’ll grow on in size regardless . If you are returning them to market a couple of Kgs of meal from mid June as in October Siamsa as bass is not the customer you want! You want them shining and looking warm and well to tempt the gentleman finisher.

2kgs/head for 150 days is 300kgs at 240/ton its 72 euro plus time feeding. You would want 100 euro extra on the friesian. The big problem is if you start replacing grass in diet with ration. As well they get fussier about what they pick. I have put bullocks to finish on 3kgs. Its imposssible to get them to clean out paddocks i have to lets the stores in to clean it out

While taking 680 euro off Jj for nice fleshy friesians in a mart in late September Bass's 580 with no ration is just as good value out of a field in Mid August. Your still have plenty of grass for to finish your heifers

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Farm365

2kgs/head for 150 days is 300kgs at 240/ton its 72 euro plus time feeding. You would want 100 euro extra on the friesian. The big problem is if you start replacing grass in diet with ration. As well they get fussier about what they pick. I have put bullocks to finish on 3kgs. Its imposssible to get them to clean out paddocks i have to lets the stores in to clean it out

While taking 680 euro off Jj for nice fleshy friesians in a mart in late September Bass's 580 with no ration is just as good value out of a field in Mid August. Your still have plenty of grass for to finish your heifers

What’s the key to summer grazing bass? Is it buying early around Feb before prices rise and get them straight to grass if possible?

Farm365 wrote: »
    What’s the key to summer grazing bass? Is it buying early around Feb before prices rise and get them straight to grass if possible?

IMO at present it nearly impossible to make decent money off summer grazing.I gave up winter finish because it ate into my nitrates and cattle bought to replace finished cattle from the shed left no margin. I buy from June-November and sell the following year. used to buy a few wanling and carry to finish but now I just buy stores. The trick is to know your costs and decide on your margin and then buy with that in mind. you work off the price you got for the cattle you sold.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

IMO at present it nearly impossible to make decent money off summer grazing.I gave up winter finish because it ate into my nitrates and cattle bought to replace finished cattle from the shed left no margin. I buy from June-November and sell the following year. used to buy a few wanling and carry to finish but now I just buy stores. The trick is to know your costs and decide on your margin and then buy with that in mind. you work off the price you got for the cattle you sold.

We’re you up at 170kg/n per ha when winter finishing?

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »

Yes an above it at times. I would still be hitting above the 160, with the late finishing last year I was slightly above it I was lucky I had slurry exported :rolleyes:

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

is that 170 the limit??

High bike wrote: »
    is that 170 the limit??

With a derogation. I was doing a derogation for a few years was hitting above 190. But you cannot draw GLAS if you are in a derogation so I was already giving up winter finishing so GLAS was another incentive

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Quick question......selling a March’19 lmx bull weanling, about 350kg, nice shape to him.....was offered €2.25 a kg.

Also selling 2 March’19 lmx heifers...one black(good quality) - 280 kg and one red 240Kgs (average quality)...was offered €2.05 a kg each.

Any thoughts? I thought they would be worth more but is this the new norm?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Quick question......selling a March’19 lmx bull weanling, about 350kg, nice shape to him.....was offered €2.25 a kg.

Also selling 2 March’19 lmx heifers...one black(good quality) - 280 kg and one red 240Kgs (average quality)...was offered €2.05 a kg each.

Yeah 2.25 for the bull is about right. Can’t comment on the heifers

Yes an above it at times. I would still be hitting above the 160, with the late finishing last year I was slightly above it I was lucky I had slurry exported :rolleyes:

We’re you buying in all your stock in the back end? Find killing cattle under 24 months keeps the nitrates down. You must still be stocked highly?

• Advertisement

Tell whoever offered you that for the heifers to shove it up in their hole mac and I wouldn't sell the bull at that money either. Watched plenty of sales online over the last week and they are not as bad as lads are making them out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Whoever is offering those prices is having a laugh.
    You'll get at least €900 for the bull, €860 at the very worst.

I sold two heifers in between those weights in the mart today, very average quality, one red Sim, one red Saler, €2.90/kg for the Sim and €2.70/kg for the Saler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

tanko wrote: »
    Whoever is offering those prices is having a laugh.
    You'll get at least €900 for the bull, €860 at the very worst.

I sold two heifers in between those weights in the mart today, very average quality, one red Sim, one red Saler, €2.90/kg for the Sim and €2.70/kg for the Saler.

What mart was that

What mart was that

Ballyjamesduff.

The live trade should probably be at those prices due to the current beef trade but as usual it bears no resemblance to what's happening outside the farm gate. To answer your question provided your weights and estimation of quality are accurate I'm thinking the bull price is probably €50-100 short and the heifer's are closer to €150 a piece short.

I've saw a fair lot of cattle traded lately and those sort of long-term grass cattle are a flying trade all thing's considered. In old money any reasonable bull weanling that weight is making circa €500 with the euro a kilo and the heifer's would definitely be €400-450. As limestone said above I'd be inclined to tell whoever offered that thanks but no thanks and into the local on line sales with them.

• Advertisement

We’re you buying in all your stock in the back end? Find killing cattle under 24 months keeps the nitrates down. You must still be stocked highly?

Ys would normally have a bullock/acre I have a few more than that this year. I would not be carrying to heavy weights generally. Problem I found killing cattle 24 months is you always had a meal bill

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Have heifers for sale - CH and LM weighing 390kg born April 2019. Not over fancy but Nice animals with good coloring. What kind of €/kg should I be asking? Anyone buy/ sell something similar lately?

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Have heifers for sale - CH and LM weighing 390kg born April 2019. Not over fancy but Nice animals with good coloring. What kind of €/kg should I be asking? Anyone buy/ sell something similar lately?

€2.30 to €2.50 a kilo if there good square types. I'd be expecting those sorts to come into €900 to €1000 a piece with the current trade.

Sugarbowl wrote: »

Without seeing them they are worth somewhere between 850-1000 going by what I have seen sold. If nice quality I'd say 900-1000. I sold a few at home around 350kg yellow charolais, good storey heifers not balls of flesh and got 925 for them. I probably got a touch more than they were worth in fairness.

Tell whoever offered you that for the heifers to shove it up in their hole mac and I wouldn't sell the bull at that money either. Watched plenty of sales online over the last week and they are not as bad as lads are making them out to be.

I’ve bought a good number of continental bulls in the last 6 weeks at 2.25-2.30. Average 350kg 50/50 r and u grades and I still think I’m paying too much for them at current beef prices.
    I know the man with the cow needs every penny of it but getting €900 for a 350kg bull at current beef prices isn’t doing too bad imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Lads....thanks for all the replies.......kinda what I was thinking. Unfortunately, no on-line marts etc around here so I'm go to hold them until the marts open again.

Farming is hard enough without giving them away:D:D:D

In my head, I had €400 with their weight for the heifers and €500-€550 for the bull....but when you have no reference point, its hard to know where the prices are.

I’ve bought a good number of continental bulls in the last 6 weeks at 2.25-2.30. Average 350kg 50/50 r and u grades and I still think I’m paying too much for them at current beef prices.
    I know the man with the cow needs every penny of it but getting €900 for a 350kg bull at current beef prices isn’t doing too bad imo.

350 X 2.25 is a long way short of 900.

Lads....thanks for all the replies.......kinda what I was thinking. Unfortunately, no on-line marts etc around here so I'm go to hold them until the marts open again.

Farming is hard enough without giving them away:D:D:D

In my head, I had €400 with their weight for the heifers and €500-€550 for the bull....but when you have no reference point, its hard to know where the prices are.

Ennis is starting up this week. Download the livestock live app if you don't have it and you can watch a few sales. Will give you something to work off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

I sold two heifers in between those weights in the mart today, very average quality, one red Sim, one red Saler, €2.90/kg for the Sim and €2.70/kg for the Saler.[/QUOTE]

Was the saler a cross. Was thinking of getting a saler bull for the dairy herd. Would the calves and year olds sell better than Angus.

The Saler was off a 7/8 bred Lim heifer, she's a bit plain and leggy.
    I find weanling and yearling Saler bullocks and heifers usually sell reasonably well, not far behind Lims i'd say. They should be better sellers than Angus.

• Advertisement

350 X 2.25 is a long way short of 900.

It is but I wouldn’t like to pay much more for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It is but I wouldn’t like to pay much more for them.

Looking at Drumshambo mart on line yesterday
    Bulls/bullocks 300-400kg making €2.50 - €2.85 /kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

As a finisher I'm looking at those prices and I can't see a twist for me in them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ennis is starting up this week. Download the livestock live app if you don't have it and you can watch a few sales. Will give you something to work off.

I this the website you are talking about?

https://www.livestock-live.com/

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I this the website you are talking about?

https://www.livestock-live.com/

Ya that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Ya that's it.

Do you have to register with the Mart first if you want to bid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

jfh wrote: »
    Do you have to register with the Mart first if you want to bid?

You enter your herd number, then it will ask you to verify your mart account on a drop down menu if you are an existing customer. If not you need to contact the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

An online auction of blks shall be held @Ennis mart on fri 15th,to bid online download livestock live app and contact us to reg 065 6824411

Received today

Talking to a man today who went to a mart to pick up 20 cattle that he thought be bought on line only to be told seller wouldn’t sell one lot of 8 he had bid on.You can imagine he wasn’t happy only getting half a load as the mart never contacted him to tell him.As he said if they did he could have bought another lot to fill the load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Talking to a man today who went to a mart to pick up 20 cattle that he thought be bought on line only to be told seller wouldn’t sell one lot of 8 he had bid on.You can imagine he wasn’t happy only getting half a load as the mart never contacted him to tell him.As he said if they did he could have bought another lot to fill the load

He should have rang ahead first all lots sold subject online I'm led to believe?

richie123 wrote: »
    He should have rang ahead first all lots sold subject online I'm led to believe?
    your right all sold subject but the mart were able to contact the seller so why not the buyer,bad form in my book

your right all sold subject but the mart were able to contact the seller so why not the buyer,bad form in my book

One of the disadvantages of online sales ..in the ring the buyer would get a second go at them if seller refused to sell ..you'd know straight away then what u had.

Cattle dealers are going to hate these online sales if this keeps up for a few months and people get used to the online auctions. Would do away with a lot of the polling and messing that goes on ringside.

Cattle dealers are going to hate these online sales if this keeps up for a few months and people get used to the online auctions. Would do away with a lot of the polling and messing that goes on ringside.

Intimidation etc..it's a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You click on your mart account and it shows a invoice with the details of lot numbers, how much you paid including commission etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

Base price wrote: »
    You click on your mart account and it shows a invoice with the details of lot numbers, how much you paid including commission etc.

Dont think they are all fully set up yet, I bought cattle in Tullamore last week and nothing showed up on my mart account on Livestock live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Watched a bit of gortatlea yestersay evening. Lovely chx calf came into the ring. 285kg 7 mts old. Good width shape and lengthy. €910 bidding finished at.

There are plenty of dealers buying away online surely to keep customers happy. They won’t want to be losing business.

There are plenty of dealers buying away online surely to keep customers happy. They won’t want to be losing business.

Not at present but as time goes by and lads get used to it more and more lads will be buying a few this way. Lads that are more tech savvy will be first. Every mart that has it in place will continue it. Now you no longer need to spin 30-50 miles to a mart. Take a late lunch and spend an hour watching it on a phone or computer screen. Log into your account and buy a few.

It might be a saviour to calf marts like Bandon. Go online there in early March and buy WH or Friesian calves at 50-70% of your local mart early in the day. Take a half day and spin down and collect them. Yes a busy day but if 10 calves cost you 50-100/head cheaper than local mart is it not worth a try

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

But can you tell the true quality of the animals from video alone?

It would be great if you had seen the animals beforehand ..... like a neighbour selling a suckler cow or fancy breeding bull or heifer. I'd say a lot would be sold on colour alone. Good hairy yellow charolais etc.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
Advertisement