Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Dairy stock are bucket reared & handled far more than their suckler counterparts at a young impressionable age. Of course they're going to have a better grasp of humans and react much better.
    I have to laugh every time someone claims continental cattle are daft. It's the way they are treated & handled, along with keeping it up on a daily basis.
    If sucklers don't see anyone, or get a daily count from a lad in a jeep out on the road, of course they're going to not have a fecking clue what a human is, if they walk into the field shouting & cursing at them. Tis the method of farming driving them wilder, along with keeping the good looking heifers which may be bloody nutty as well, which can't be handled when they calve, just prolonging the crazy circle.

As Danzy said above, what works in one place won't suit somewhere else & it's ridiculous to claim X is better than Y when the practices/land/finishing aim/feeding/income is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Buy most of our cattle here in the marts, mostly continental and usually in lots of one to two. Rarely have problems with mad cattle. We walk through them in the field regularly, maybe give them a taste of meal on the ground so they know what a bag is then they will follow us wherever we go.
    It’s usually the mad farmer that drives them mad.

Exactly same as that. Never had much of a problem with contenintal cattle here bar the occasional one and the previous farmer gets the blame.
    In relation to the good cattle / dairy cattle I'd be always buying u grade store cattle. But everyone has there own system / preference. I think most of us on here a fairly clued in and try our best at our systems. Its the ****e /careless farmer that will struggle no matter which system they go at.
    One good point Bass made in relation to the fresians is the capital involved. If I bought more land in the morning I'd probably buy some of them for a few years as the capital required to stock it would be less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Quick question......selling a March’19 lmx bull weanling, about 350kg, nice shape to him.....was offered €2.25 a kg.

Also selling 2 March’19 lmx heifers...one black(good quality) - 280 kg and one red 240Kgs (average quality)...was offered €2.05 a kg each.

Any thoughts? I thought they would be worth more but is this the new norm?

Quick update.....sold the lmx bull for €875 and sold the red lmx for €650. Sold from home so between fees and transport I can add another €27 per head. Mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

trg wrote: »
    Folks is there somewhere that gives a list of the live marts? Google directing me to marts held in 2017!
    By live marts do you mean online marts, if so
    https://www.livestock-live.com/MartMemberAccess/Market/Marts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Base price wrote: »
    By live marts do you mean online marts, if so
    https://www.livestock-live.com/MartMemberAccess/Market/Marts

That's it, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Bought a good mixture of stock types this last month.
    All 20-24 months from well looked after dairy BBx to suckler beed Chx and very middling AAx at a range of prices. Will be interesting to see how each returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

That's it, thanks

I don't think it gives all the marts though as u have agrimart, Mart eye and martbids too could be a few more that I don't know about
    Livestock live list only the marts they operate in.

That's it, thanks

I don't think it gives all the marts though as u have agrimart, Mart eye and martbids too could be a few more that I don't know about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

richie123 wrote: »
    AFAIK https://www.livestock-live.com/ are the only operator for online cattle sales, other marts are operating the system where potential buyers view the cattle and offer a written bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

AFAIK https://www.livestock-live.com/ are the only operator for online cattle sales, other marts are operating the system where potential buyers view the cattle and offer a written bid.

Marteye started an online sale in Ballyjamesduff last week. I think they're doing the online sales in Cootehill also but not certain about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Dairy stock are bucket reared & handled far more than their suckler counterparts at a young impressionable age. Of course they're going to have a better grasp of humans and react much better.
    I have to laugh every time someone claims continental cattle are daft. It's the way they are treated & handled, along with keeping it up on a daily basis.
    If sucklers don't see anyone, or get a daily count from a lad in a jeep out on the road, of course they're going to not have a fecking clue what a human is, if they walk into the field shouting & cursing at them. Tis the method of farming driving them wilder, along with keeping the good looking heifers which may be bloody nutty as well, which can't be handled when they calve, just prolonging the crazy circle.

As Danzy said above, what works in one place won't suit somewhere else & it's ridiculous to claim X is better than Y when the practices/land/finishing aim/feeding/income is completely different.

Ya the way they are treated makes a huge difference.

Nope there's a number of different companies operating an online sales platform.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

richie123 wrote: »
    Nope there's a number of different companies operating an online sales platform.

Yes Livestock live seem to have the greatest number of online sales operating at present but there's also Online mart.ie, Marteye and Mart bids operating online sales to the best of my knowledge.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    You identified the problem with those cattle & wasnt that they were contentials, it was the thick farmer. If had dairy reared cattle they would have been just as mad. The maddest bullock I had in recent years was a Fr bought in a bunch of 5 but when I look at the orgional owner on the card it explained alot. Knew him in night clubs year ago a full jack ass and his stock take after him...

+1 on the above. I always find that if the owner is hard handled then the cattle are usually the same. From working in the marts I've found that it's the same few lads that always have wild stock and vice versa with quiet ones. Granted anyone can have an odd outlier that breaks the rule due to genetics or whatever.

There's a few lads that once I see the trailer backing up to the chute I could guarantee that they'll be letting off some very wild stock. One man always had cattle that were nervous but he had a serious short fuse and the stock were the same. Another client is a total gentleman but by his own admission he has a big area of land and herded them by looking in across the roadside hedge.

Some fella's lived in the back arse of nowhere and had cattle stuck in the forestry for 3 year's who never saw anyone before being landed to the mart. A neighbor of mine had a only a few acre's and always kept 3 cows who would be nervous at the best of times. The same cow's could draw a kick on you that would demolish a war memorial never mind a man. This had everything to do with the fact that there owner had only the one method of handling cattle, namely roaring and shouting along with wielding the graip and giving them a prod of it whenever he got within reach.

A lot of it is down to how you handle them and your own patience level's. If your going to leave cattle to there own devices for the most part and only round them up rodeo style a few times a year with a dog, quad or jeep then they'll probably be somewhat hard handled. The same lads then wonder why the stock are more like deer than cattle and blame the "continental" genetics but they'd make wild cattle out of quiet one's with that type of carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Ive 3 Hereford heifers, 2 no. 5 star and the other is a 4 star. 13 months, 14 months and 15 months old are the ages. What are they worth? grand stock, not pushed. I havnt weighed them so dont no there weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Jjameson wrote: »
    Stories abound of cattle that were “quiet” in the Mart and cracked when they got home. It simply isn’t an issue with dairy stock. It’s not because they were continental, but the saler and limousine temperament deniers are only codding themselves! it is mainly because of the nature of single suckling and yes while these stock can improve with new management the one that doesn’t often causes near heart failure and serious stress that I don’t need!

There are two distinct advantages of dairy cross cattle, the capital involved and their manageability.
    It remarkable the constant moaning about hardship and lack of money amongst suckler lovers, but anyone suggest that they’re not compulsory and it’s akin to Insulting asking that they sell the mother.

What do you mean about the saler and limousin temperament deniers? I can’t talk to salers but limousins I can..... there has been a huge amount of work done to improve docility...the same auld shyte over and over. :mad:.

All dairy x’s are narrow good for nothing’s....fact....but it’s not like every breed there are the good and the bad....generalisations like yours really piss me off (just in case you cannot tell)

Well said lad, there's so much wrong with that post you wouldn't know where to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bought a mix of organic beef weanlings last fall, am I mad or what?
    I think all came from small herds, which tends to be the profile of organic farmers. Most are relatively quiet, you wouldn't get to rub any in the field but they come close and will follow me. Ch are quiet, LM a little more flighty but not bad, Aubrac very docile, Speckle Park quiet, Saler very giddy. Will avoid buying them again.

Water John wrote: »
    Bought a mix of organic beef weanlings last fall, am I mad or what?
    I think all came from small herds, which tends to be the profile of organic farmers. Most are relatively quiet, you wouldn't get to rub any in the field but they come close and will follow me. Ch are quiet, LM a little more flighty but not bad, Aubrac very docile, Speckle Park quiet, Saler very giddy. Will avoid buying them again.

I think that the likes of LM and Saler are often more headstrong than wild. Having said that they seem to be easier spooked than other breeds and require a more relaxed approach to handling. It's more difficult to make them do something they don't want to compared to other breeds in my experience.

From working in the mart I've encountered the good, bad and ugly in all breed's and there's wild and quiet cattle of all colours. I encountered a young purebred CH bull at the weekend that's as rough a beast temperament wise as I've saw in a while. The nearest I've came to being seriously injured was with a Simmental cow and I find there's no more ignorant beast than an AA when they decide they don't want to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Jjameson wrote: »

There are two distinct advantages of dairy cross cattle, the capital involved and their manageability.
    It remarkable the constant moaning about hardship and lack of money amongst suckler lovers, but anyone suggest that they’re not compulsory and it’s akin to Insulting asking that they sell the mother.

I'd love to get out of Continental cattle but the state of the Dairy bred calves these days is dreadful. Three of them taped together wouldn't make a decent animal. Up to 20 years ago you had decent stock coming out of British Friesian herds but nowdays it's all Holstein and Jerseys bred off a runt of an Angus bull for easy calving. And we're expected to pay 3-400 from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Albert I'm afraid at least one or two marts don't do themselves or cattle any favours when it comes to handling them. mainly poorly designed, layout, facilities, small sales rings especially for bigger stock, auctioneers microphone speaker so badly positioned that it's spooking anyway a anxious beast.

All that without mentioning the odd lad working there that isn't good with stock handling.

undoubtedly though anyway, being in a cattle mart and more so working in one is a
    dangerous job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    What do you mean about the saler and limousin temperament deniers? I can’t talk to salers but limousins I can..... there has been a huge amount of work done to improve docility...the same auld shyte over and over. :mad:.

All dairy x’s are narrow good for nothing’s....fact....but it’s not like every breed there are the good and the bad....generalisations like yours really piss me off (just in case you cannot tell)

There is temperament and there is temperament. dairy bred stock especially FR's and traditional breeds are usually extremely placid. I have had them come up to you in a field and nose you and that is bullocks. You will never get even a suckler CH bullocks not to mind other continental's do that. You bring them into a yard or Pen and its the sucklers that are charging around the place.They the one's out in the field that you cannot get near enough to read a tag, or if uou need to cull one out in the field you need to bring 2-3 with as they will jump any temporary put up as a roadway. CH are the most placid in general but not all. If you then add in the X-Factor of getting a nutcase which is a higher risk compared to dairy cross cattle.

I'd love to get out of Continental cattle but the state of the Dairy bred calves these days is dreadful. Three of them taped together wouldn't make a decent animal. Up to 20 years ago you had decent stock coming out of British Friesian herds but nowadays it's all Holstein and Jerseys bred off a runt of an Angus bull for easy calving. And we're expected to pay 3-400 from them.

However you have to factor in the fact that market demand is for cattle killing 280-360 DW and most continental bullocks need kill above this to leave a margin to the suckler man and finisher, Yes I agree some dairy cross cattle especially AA from KYA type breeding is not producing an animal with good weight gain figures. Most of the dairy breeding on HO has moved away from extreme to a middle of the road cow. The main issue is easy calving bulls on the beef cross

Slava Ukrainii

Geography is a thing that plays a part in our systems. No point going from the West or North West to the south for Dairy bred cattle. And vice versa. Wouldnt be much point coming from Kerry or Wexford with a 12 x 5 10 and going home with 2 or 3.
    I wouldn't knock either system. As I said previously most are smart enough on here to know what's making a pound for them
    As for the contenintals not coming up to you in the field well some won't but a lot will and I'm pretty sure not all fresians are pets either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw 3 Aax bullocks, 380 Kgs, 2.25 a kg in Midd tipp mart, an online auction.

No photo of them, hard to see how they were worth it, beef price considered.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Geography is a thing that plays a part in our systems. No point going from the West or North West to the south for Dairy bred cattle. And vice versa. Wouldnt be much point coming from Kerry or Wexford with a 12 x 5 10 and going home with 2 or 3.
    I wouldn't knock either system. As I said previously most are smart enough on here to know what's making a pound for them
    As for the contenintals not coming up to you in the field well some won't but a lot will and I'm pretty sure not all fresians are pets either

Yes I have a nut case of a fr at present. Had an awful job of loading him last autumn to bring him into the shed. But he is the only one I have had in over 9-10 years. In that time 50% of my stock would have been Fr. During the same time frame I have had a Saler, 3-4 LM's, 2 SIM's 2-3 CH's an AA and a SH bullock in the other 50%. Funny enough I cannot recall a nutty HE bout I probably had one of them as well. The odds are just different

Slava Ukrainii

The sales can be wild enough but imo the Lims have improved a lot over the last 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

There is temperament and there is temperament. dairy bred stock especially FR's and traditional breeds are usually extremely placid. I have had them come up to you in a field and nose you and that is bullocks. You will never get even a suckler CH bullocks not to mind other continental's do that. You bring them into a yard or Pen and its the sucklers that are charging around the place.They the one's out in the field that you cannot get near enough to read a tag, or if uou need to cull one out in the field you need to bring 2-3 with as they will jump any temporary put up as a roadway. CH are the most placid in general but not all. If you then add in the X-Factor of getting a nutcase which is a higher risk compared to dairy cross cattle.

However you have to factor in the fact that market demand is for cattle killing 280-360 DW and most continental bullocks need kill above this to leave a margin to the suckler man and finisher, Yes I agree some dairy cross cattle especially AA from KYA type breeding is not producing an animal with good weight gain figures. Most of the dairy breeding on HO has moved away from extreme to a middle of the road cow. The main issue is easy calving bulls on the beef cross

An awful lot of it is down to handling I think. I have a bundle of 17 yearling heifer a mix of ch and lim. Maybe twice a week when I'm herding them I bring a bucket of nuts with me and feed them in the yard. They walk in and out with no fear of it whatsoever, all I have to do when I'm herding is call them and they will all come. Its not a massive effort or even a massive amount of time to keep them sociable.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

This is my bunch of crazy continentals from last year. Nearly broke my heart. The lad 5 back is going 2 abreast and I trying to get them out the gate in an orderly manner. Ridiculous stuff!;)

FC19F1BA-969D-4A54-B58F-1F4F10F2AF99.jpeg

To suggest that a Charolais bullock or any other breed of continental bullock will never come up to you and nose you in a field or that you cannot get near enough to them to read a tag is complete and utter rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

There all fine till you try and get them in. I’ve a few here that’ll cock the head as soon as you appear it doesn’t matter the breed. I’ve a lmx here the kids can pet in the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I says wrote: »
    There all fine till you try and get them in. I’ve a few here that’ll cock the head as soon as you appear it doesn’t matter the breed. I’ve a lmx here the kids can pet in the field.

Ya, can walk up to them in the field but try and move them:rolleyes:,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭kk.man

A couple of years ago I was discussing cattle with a work colleague who would be stubborn by nature. He had inherited a farm from his relatives. I was advising him what to buy.

To cut along story short he went looking at cattle and bought them and was impressed how 'quiet' they were. He sold them eventually and it came round to him buying again.

I was telling him I had just bought friesian cattle and I explained the virtues of these cattle. He then asked me were they 'quiet' at that moment I stopped advising my colleague and never will again.
    I came to the conclusion he only wanted cattle for a hobby and he didn't understand friesian cattle as being docile. That's why hobby farmers have a bad name.

Livestock to me have to make a margin whether docile or otherwise and if they are not docile on arrival they will be by the time they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

looked at Ennis today weanling bulls on, thought prices were average enough, noticeable price difference between CH and everything else continues.

some nice LM's 300 -340kgs April - May 19 bulls making around the 800-850 range not exactly leaving a massive margin there.

one march 19 CH 530kgs made 1700 cracking calf but mad stuff.

is is me or do cattle look alot more settled in the ring now on the online sales that all the crowds of people aren't there, lads could be in for a surprise when they land home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Dozer1 wrote: »
    looked at Ennis today weanling bulls on, thought prices were average enough, noticeable price difference between CH and everything else continues.

some nice LM's 300 -340kgs April - May 19 bulls making around the 800-850 range not exactly leaving a massive margin there.

one march 19 CH 530kgs made 1700 cracking calf but mad stuff.

is is me or do cattle look alot more settled in the ring now on the online sales that all the crowds of people aren't there, lads could be in for a surprise when they land home

Was just looking at the heifers in Ennis, the camera is terrible. Very hard to make out the quality. Personally id have to go to see the stock in the mart.

In Gortatlea and macroom you can stand in the passageway and see the cattle coming out the ring.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Albert I'm afraid at least one or two marts don't do themselves or cattle any favours when it comes to handling them. mainly poorly designed, layout, facilities, small sales rings especially for bigger stock, auctioneers microphone speaker so badly positioned that it's spooking anyway a anxious beast.

All that without mentioning the odd lad working there that isn't good with stock handling.

undoubtedly though anyway, being in a cattle mart and more so working in one is a
    dangerous job.

There's always room for improvement when it comes to facilities and general animal welfare around marts. Oftentimes I wonder if whoever designed some of the handling systems ever tried to put stock through it in on a busy sale day. It's often the small things that make a big difference and a few hours spent adjusting the setup could leave it a lot easier on man and beast.

As for lads with poor stock handling skill's yes they exist but they usually either improve with time or find alternative work. Working in a mart is hardly rocket science type stuff but it does take a certain level of skill, without said skill a sometimes difficult job can get even harder. I often watch young lads starting out and it will take them twice the time and effort to handle cattle because they stand in the wrong place, approach them wrong ect. This usually leads to them working twice as hard and more likely than not they get an odd belter of a kick.

A good auctioneer will often average nearly 60 lots an hour on a day with a good trade. The lads behind the scales therefore have to get a lot loaded on the bridge every 60 second's having sorted them numerically and grouped up any lots with multiple animals. If you've gotten a big pen, wild stock or someone has penned them arse ways in the morning then you'll have no bother with boredom setting in while all this is ongoing. It's easy to be critical when watching from the safety of outside but try being in a confined space with a few hundred kilos of a pissed off beast and only an ash plant for protection.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I was discussing cattle with a work colleague who would be stubborn by nature. He had inherited a farm from his relatives. I was advising him what to buy.

To cut along story short he went looking at cattle and bought them and was impressed how 'quiet' they were. He sold them eventually and it came round to him buying again.

I was telling him I had just bought friesian cattle and I explained the virtues of these cattle. He then asked me were they 'quiet' at that moment I stopped advising my colleague and never will again.
    I came to the conclusion he only wanted cattle for a hobby and he didn't understand friesian cattle as being docile. That's why hobby farmers have a bad name.

Livestock to me have to make a margin whether docile or otherwise and if they are not docile on arrival they will be by the time they leave.

I have that problem with summer grazers every spring, doesn't matter what you buy or how much value they are if there giddy. A quiet beast at a €100 more is still better value in there eye's so that's what has to be bought. As for quieting then over time it will work with the majority of stock and oftentimes all they need is a bit of patience and a few bags of meal.

However there is a small minority of truly wild stock that never settle and imo the more handling on them the wilder they get. These sorts are best left to the own devices as much as possible as trying to do much else with them is only further antagonizing them. I often hear lad's on about a "wild" beast, this might be one that can't be approach close up in the field and is therefore wild in there opinion. I'd love to show them what I'd consider wild cattle. There was 2 weanlings in the mart the last day and they'd climb the walls to get away without anyone near them. One of them made it nearly 8 feet up a wall from a standing jump before gravity took over rather than go through an open gate a few foot further down the passage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

What are factory fit Cows making? I have a few big Simmental roughly 800kg to go

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Maybe whips should be used to load cattle, like these lads are doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m92xY2wIKJk

God help the animals, and god help whoever buys them :eek:

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A good auctioneer will often average nearly 60 lots an hour on a day with a good trade. The lads behind the scales therefore have to get a lot loaded on the bridge every 60 second's having sorted them numerically and grouped up any lots with multiple animals. If you've gotten a big pen, wild stock or someone has penned them arse ways in the morning then you'll have no bother with boredom setting in while all this is ongoing. It's easy to be critical when watching from the safety of outside but try being in a confined space with a few hundred kilos of a pissed off beast and only an ash plant for protection.

I often wonder would it not be best weight on entry and longer chutes going into the ring
    Even to be able to separate 1 animal into 1 section of the chute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We''ll have to get Temple Grandin on the case.
    Simply have it so that any animal sees another animal in front of it. Don't try and get a single animal onto the weighbridge or into the ring.

• Advertisement

A lot of marts have changed to having the scales fed from a chute where the cattle are held in single file before entering the weighbridge compared to just having a serious of holding pens. This system has the advantage of allowing cattle to be handled without a shared space and you can have sliding gates and backstops to help control them.

However someone still has to put them into the chute in the first place and unless you load them in numerical order you'll need to have side gates to allow you draft out stock from different places along the chute. In this case you'll still have to load the animal onto the scales without the use of the chute. A chute requires more space which can be problematic in older more confined buildings.

As for weighing stock on entry it's another job that would need doing and you'll still have to sort the stock before going through the ring. The weights would need to be recorded and matched to the lot number or available when the lot is sold.

I often wonder would it not be best weight on entry and longer chutes going into the ring
    Even to be able to separate 1 animal into 1 section of the chute

The problem with weighing on entry you would get messing going on. Dealers or farmers might be slipping 5 euro to lad weighting to increase weights. Cattle that would be near the mart would have fierce fresh weight, while cattle traveling a distance would still weight empty.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The problem with weighing on entry you would get messing going on. Dealers or farmers might be slipping 5 euro to lad weighting to increase weights. Cattle that would be near the mart would have fierce fresh weight, while cattle traveling a distance would still weight empty.
    That had potential no matter the system.
    Sure could be going on currently

An animal could lose 10kg in a day at the mart
    Local cattle will always have the advantage over ones brought long journeys
    I see lots of cattle arriving an hour before sale

The reason I prefer is allot of weighbridges are shaky and this adds stress to the animal

The reason I prefer is allot of weighbridges are shaky and this adds stress to the animal

I say nearer 20 kg weight loss in a mart in a mart in the day. No when cattle are weighted going into the ring the results are visible on the scales. I always watch it. While local cattle have the advantage if they are 3-4 hours in a mart the advantage is less pronounced

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

After selling a few fresh weight over the last few weeks, I'd say cattle would lose at least 10kg, could be up to 20kg.

jfh wrote: »
    After selling a few fresh weight over the last few weeks, I'd say cattle would lose at least 10kg, could be up to 20kg.

If you take the truck journey into account cattle will lose 20-30kgs minimum and up to 50 kgs if they arrive at a mart early and are standing in a pen for 6-8 hours

Slava Ukrainii

What are factory fit Cows making? I have a few big Simmental roughly 800kg to go

There's cows being sold on marteye.ie in Ballyjamesduff mart at the moment, very clear picture and sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

do u have to sign up to watch it tanko ??

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

37 month old belgian blue u grade fatscore 3+ 750kgs. Anyone an idea what she is worth? She didn't go back in calf after last year.

leoch wrote: »
    do u have to sign up to watch it tanko ??

Yeah i think so. If you can watch you can bid so they have to verify who you are.
    Don’t think you can watch without signing up but i’m open to correction on this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement