Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

farming93 wrote: »
    37 month old belgian blue u grade fatscore 3+ 750kgs. Anyone an idea what she is worth? She didn't go back in calf after last year.

Easily 1500 at the right mart. This online stuff has fellas losing the run of themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jjameson wrote: »
    If she’s u grade and fleshy I think you could add 150 to that.

That more than 4/kg DW.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

I sold 5 weanlings today
    all Limousin bullocks
    all Sep -19

355kg -940
    340kg -920
    295kg- 920
    295 kg -900
    280kg -850
    no much feeding in them
    I think if i had feed meal I wouldn't have got much more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I sold 5 weanlings today
    all Limousin bullocks
    all Sep -19

355kg -940
    340kg -920
    295kg- 920
    295 kg -900
    280kg -850
    no much feeding in them

Excellent prices, must have been nice stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

I sold 5 weanlings today
    all Limousin bullocks
    all Sep -19

355kg -940
    340kg -920
    295kg- 920
    295 kg -900
    280kg -850
    no much feeding in them

They must have been fairly good weanlings

they were well breed out of good cows and after a decent bull
    I was disappointed with the way I did them over the winter didn't have them heavy enough
    I'm wondering do buyers have a price and that's as high as they go
    that weight of an animal seems to sell really well
    I was happy with the price considering their weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

they were well breed out of good cows and after a decent bull
    I was disappointed with the way I did them over the winter didn't have them heavy enough
    I'm wondering do buyers have a price and that's as high as they go
    that weight of an animal seems to sell really well
    I was happy with the price considering their weight

Did you sell them through online mart or privately?

no I left them into the mart and buyers came in and put their best price on them

I Had them squeezed about 6 weeks ago
    I thought they might appeal more to a summer grazer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I Had them squeezed about 6 weeks ago
    I thought they might appeal more to a summer grazer

You're spot on with that assumption. It definitely pays to squeeze all but the best quality weanlings if selling at this time of year imo. The summer grazers usually want minimal work and buying bullocks often means they can turn them straight out to grass after purchase without having to house them.

I've often seen a bullock make the guts of a hundred more than a similar bull weanling in the spring time due to interest from grass buyer's, this premium isn't usually as apparent in the autumn. The trick is to squeeze them at least a month presale so there bags have reduced down and they look like a bullock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I sold 5 weanlings today
    all Limousin bullocks
    all Sep -19

355kg -940
    340kg -920
    295kg- 920
    295 kg -900
    280kg -850
    no much feeding in them

Great price. As a comparison the best weanlings I bought last Oct were full Ch bulls weighing 448 kg paid €950.
    A 320/330 kg LM I would have paid about €800. The light 280 Kg animal I would have bought for €650/700.
    I was wondering about spring buying so that I wouldn't carry two winters. I think you're telling me, not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Had no problem with that. Buying organic stock, would be able to finish more if not carrying for two winters, but those spring prices would take the profit of that and more IWT.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

There’s another trick too! I seen a bunch of 5 shapey but not over growthy bulls in a mart some years back. Possibly 2014. 300 and something kg and the dealer couldn’t get his 900€ for them. A week later I seen they were in a neighbours yard. Two wealthy bachelors who farm well and like good bullocks. Their agent had bought them in another mart as bullocks well in excess of €1100. They were sequze morning of sale and weren’t a bit swelled and had lost no ground. If the mark of a burdizzo is on them they are castrated apparently.

Just a quick one on that actually. With the online sales how does one know if the a beast is a bull or bullock. Saw a few SIx go through Ennis today and was hard to tell which they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭High bike

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Just a quick one on that actually. With the online sales how does one know if the a beast is a bull or bullock. Saw a few SIx go through Ennis today and was hard to tell which they were.
    surely the auctioneer announces which it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I sold 5 weanlings today
    all Limousin bullocks
    all Sep -19

355kg -940
    340kg -920
    295kg- 920
    295 kg -900
    280kg -850
    no much feeding in them

Nothing wrong with that. Lucky the Marts are trading again. No talks of 2.20-2.40/kg now 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

CHOPS01 wrote: »

If there sold through the bullocks I'd expect them to be a bullock and vice versa with bull's. Otherwise they should be announced eg auctioneer states this lot is a full bull ect. I'd imagine you'd have a comeback of sorts if you could prove they weren't announced and were sold as being something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

High bike wrote: »
    surely the auctioneer announces which it is

Ya maybe but picture was only average and sound crap

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

What would be a fair price for a 13mth freisan teaser bull? approx 300kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

RobinBanks wrote: »
    What would be a fair price for a 13mth freisan teaser bull? approx 300kg
    1.40/1.50 a kg.
    Edit to say that is the price that they are making for export.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Seen a whopper of a u grade bullock in Ennis this morning online. 915kg, 38 months and €2020 final bid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grange mac

Saw 16*600Kg AAx make 1360 in Gortalea this evening.... Unbelievable... Had to be factory buying them.

grange mac wrote: »
    Saw 16*600Kg AAx make 1360 in Gortalea this evening.... Unbelievable... Had to be factory buying them.

Fair play to the farmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

A 870 kg 2012 u grade bb type cow brought €1820 tonight.

How did the sucklers with calves at foot go in Carnew Jjameson? Meant to tune in but was late milking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭kk.man

Seen a whopper of a u grade bullock in Ennis this morning online. 915kg, 38 months and €2020 final bid.

No weight or age limits there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Think that bullock was owned by Billy Gubbins, he probably done the shows last couple of years.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Think that bullock was owned by Billy Gubbins, he probably done the shows last couple of years.

He was some animal. A 520kg lmx came in after and looked like a runner :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Anyone following the online sales in Kilmallock today? They don't seem to give the weights in the sold catalogue which is a bit pointless...

ppn wrote: »
    Anyone following the online sales in Kilmallock today? They don't seem to give the weights in the sold catalogue which is a bit pointless...

There is alot of things about the mart in Killmallock that are pointless

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

ppn wrote: »

Ya I saw that too ..I'm sure they'll change it it's early days yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Good prices for FR cattle in KLM yesterday.1.70 to 1.95 a kilo for heavy Fr's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Hi all. Normally buy Fr bullocks 350 kg late march/April . Keep for winter , start selling from July on. Owing to marts closure this year didn't buy. Spread N only in Feb. and for silage. Was thinking of changing to buy 500 kg in autumn to sell from July as previously.Given the cost of wintering would it be better to wait till spring and buy 550 kg?

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Hi all. Normally buy Fr bullocks 350 kg late march/April . Keep for winter , start selling from July on. Owing to marts closure this year didn't buy. Spread N only in Feb. and for silage. Was thinking of changing to buy 500 kg in autumn to sell from July as previously.Given the cost of wintering would it be better to wait till spring and buy 550 kg?

Generally no. However 550kgs will be hard to buy autumn or spring. Expect to pay 2/kg for them in spring will you buy for 250-300 with there weight in the Autumn. As well the mart weight of autumn is totally different to spring. 500kgs might be plenty heavy to buy if it late in the evening in a mart. However you could also be on the watch out from July on if you have grass. You might buy 400-450kgs cattle if prices stall a bit

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Generally no. However 550kgs will be hard to buy autumn or spring. Expect to pay 2/kg for them in spring will you buy for 250-300 with there weight in the Autumn. As well the mart weight of autumn is totally different to spring. 500kgs might be plenty heavy to buy if it late in the evening in a mart. However you could also be on the watch out from July on if you have grass. You might buy 400-450kgs cattle if prices stall a bit

Thanks Bass. I take one cut of silage so would have grass from July on. Buying 400-450kg instead of 350kg in the spring would mean less cattle on farm as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Watching cull cows in Ennis now. Good U-grade Lim cows making over €2/kg.
    Just saw one 875 kg red lim make €1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Some serious prices in Ballymahon today. 2 AA bullocks 702kg made €1490 and 2 ch bullocks 712kg made €1630. It's hard to see any profit in them. I saw a 2 year old Ch heifer 485 kg making €1290.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭kk.man

huey1975 wrote: »
    Some serious prices in Ballymahon today. 2 AA bullocks 702kg made €1490 and 2 ch bullocks 712kg made €1630. It's hard to see any profit in them. I saw a 2 year old Ch heifer 485 kg making €1290.
    I'd say those are going to the factory. Just shows there is a shortage.

kk.man wrote: »
    I'd say those are going to the factory. Just shows there is a shortage.

The factorys will give it in the marts to suppress the factory quotes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

Cull cows fit for killing are the dearest animal in the marts these days. Some difference between a factory fit cow say 750kg+ and a cow for grass (500 -650kg). A factory fit cow can make up to €1500, while the same type cow not fit maybe needing 2-3 months grass can be bought for exactly half the price

Some prices from Skibbereen mart online today...

Heifers
    CH 360 820 May 19
    CH 337 770 may 19
    Ch 342 780 may 19
    Ch 325 760
    Ch 418 960 March 19
    Lm 430 860
    Lm 420 900 March 19
    Ch 300 690 Jan 20
    He 342 640
    SI 370 860 June 19

Bullocks
    Lm 465 1210
    Lm 420 890
    Ch 405 900
    Aa 505 900

• Advertisement

ChuckieEgg wrote: »
    Cull cows fit for killing are the dearest animal in the marts these days. Some difference between a factory fit cow say 750kg+ and a cow for grass (500 -650kg). A factory fit cow can make up to €1500, while the same type cow not fit maybe needing 2-3 months grass can be bought for exactly half the price

Aye u couldn't touch a cow with flesh on it and thinner cows or poorer cows seem to be in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Bullocks - Cahir 3rd June

Brd, Kg, €, Age, per Kg
    AA 388 €720.00 15 €1.86
    AA 387 €750.00 15 €1.94
    AA 443 €840.00 16 €1.90
    AAX 477 €880.00 16 €1.84
    HFD 390 €730.00 15 €1.87
    HFD 427 €830.00 15 €1.94
    HFD 426 €830.00 15 €1.95
    HFD 452 €830.00 15 €1.84
    HFD 392 €750.00 12 €1.91
    FR 378 €640.00 15 €1.69
    FR 441 €660.00 16 €1.50
    FR 440 €690.00 16 €1.57
    LMX 441 €860.00 15 €1.95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Cracking ch bullocks in bandon today 450 ish €900. There comrad a minter of a white ch... a shake with €1000.

Anyone see cow/calf pairs recently? What could you expect for a handy HE cow about 6 yr old with strong LM bull at foot and bulled to another LM for Spring 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

You could be looking anywhere from €1,000 to €1,500 for the cow & calf, really depends on what they look like, I know thats not much help to you sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Sold sone culls on carnaross today. Both 600kg made 1250 and 1270
    A 3rd than needed feeding made 1080 at 595kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Sold sone culls on carnaross today. Both 600kg made 1250 and 1270
    A 3rd than needed feeding made 1080 at 595kg

Was told trade in delvin was bad yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Factories still happy to have there meat from fat cull cows. These are the best seller at the moment. Anything that needs grass/further feeding is well back.
    Maybe a few quid to be made on buying stores now if you have the grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Factories still happy to have there meat from fat cull cows. These are the best seller at the moment. Anything that needs grass/further feeding is well back.
    Maybe a few quid to be made on buying stores now if you have the grass

Ya a cousin sold store cattle in gortatlea today he was disappointed. Saw some lovely store heifers at the start of it worth the money.
    Suppose the drought would eventually take the steam out the trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

That the reality.....there is feck all growth....was bound to hit prices.

That the reality.....there is feck all growth....was bound to hit prices.

Growth will return after the rain. Main thing effecting prices nor is the 7 month ANC mannis gone out if the market. Since June 1st he cannot fulfill ANC conditions by buying cattle. You are back to farmers that need a margin on cattle there was some stupid prices over the last while it never always continues. I know the man selling needs every penny of the price but the lad finishing can only deal with what is in front of him.

You need a good bullock to hit 1200 euro now and a great one to hit 1400 euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement