Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Thought the weanlings prices in gortalea were poor the other night. Some nice part bulls made small money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Thought the weanlings prices in gortalea were poor the other night. Some nice part bulls made small money

No wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

No wonder

Parthenaise id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    Parthenaise id say.

I meant that there is always a discounted price for parthenaise /aubrac etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I meant that there is always a discounted price for parthenaise /aubrac etc

Once you go away from bright coloured CH and the very tops of LM then everything else is discounted to varying degrees. Having said that certain stock types seem to go through different phases of popularity, 10 year's ago Belgium Blue's were all the rage locally but you'd seldom see a pen of blue weanlings anymore. I saw a few Lincoln red bullocks in the mart last night, they seem comparable to an AA.

A local high profile auctioneer and others have been campaigning for year's to get the seller's name removed from the display board ringside. It's rumored that they've hit luck as seemingly it could be breaching personal data privacy to display such information around the ring. There's definitely less dealt cattle about presently compared to other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Once you go away from bright coloured CH and the very tops of LM then everything else is discounted to varying degrees. Having said that certain stock types seem to go through different phases of popularity, 10 year's ago Belgium Blue's were all the rage locally but you'd seldom see a pen of blue weanlings anymore. I saw a few Lincoln red bullocks in the mart last night, they seem comparable to an AA.

A local high profile auctioneer and others have been campaigning for year's to get the seller's name removed from the display board ringside. It's rumored that they've hit luck as seemingly it could be breaching personal data privacy to display such information around the ring. There's definitely less dealt cattle about presently compared to other years.

Why would it bother the Auctioneer ?

Robson99 wrote: »
    Why would it bother the Auctioneer ?

I suppose you'd have to ask him that question, the short answer is I don't know tbh. It's not going to make much difference to most lad's although it would definitely be a help to the dealers. Of course the thought of anything to benefit the tanglers will stop some lad's from getting a good night's sleep but thankfully I only have time to worry about my own affairs. I suppose if I had the option of not having my name and particulars scrolling across for all to see I'd be happier but then I'm a fairly private individual. It's not the end of the world either way and as with everything there's ways around the current system anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I suppose you'd have to ask him that question, the short answer is I don't know tbh. It's not going to make much difference to most lad's although it would definitely be a help to the dealers. Of course the thought of anything to benefit the tanglers will stop some lad's from getting a good night's sleep but thankfully I only have time to worry about my own affairs. I suppose if I had the option of not having my name and particulars scrolling across for all to see I'd be happier but then I'm a fairly private individual. It's not the end of the world either way and as with everything there's ways around the current system anyway.

In gortatlea on line you can't see the sellers name but u can see the days in herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Don't understand the fall of the blue at all. I sold 7 blue bulls today

394kg @ €1310
    420kg @ €1300
    382kg @ €1210
    344kg @ €1040
    362kg @ €1060
    392kg @ €1200
    398kg @ €1190
    All after my own stock bull, all calves naturally and the vast majority unassisted.

I also sold 2 limousin bulls
    402kg @ €970
    388kg @ €940

The Belgian blue is not or should not be dead anyhow.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    In gortatlea on line you can't see the sellers name but u can see the days in herd.

It varies from mart to mart depending on the format of the board that's displayed. I couldn't see the days in herd on the board in manorhamilton today either which is a change it just showed the number of owner's.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »

394kg @ €1310
    420kg @ €1300
    382kg @ €1210
    344kg @ €1040
    362kg @ €1060
    392kg @ €1200
    398kg @ €1190
    All after my own stock bull, all calves naturally and the vast majority unassisted.

402kg @ €970
    388kg @ €940

I'm not knocking blue's as a breed although I've little personal experience of them. It's hard to argue with the above results and there a credit too you. The LM made good prices but they definitely pale in significance when compared to the blue's. The only thing I'd argue is that it's easier to sell an average CH or LM compared to an average BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It varies from mart to mart depending on the format of the board that's displayed. I couldn't see the days in herd on the board in manorhamilton today either which is a change it just showed the number of owner's.
    Carrigallen show the sellers name but Carnaross don't although all the other details are shown including the number of days in the sellers herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

394kg @ €1310
    420kg @ €1300
    382kg @ €1210
    344kg @ €1040
    362kg @ €1060
    392kg @ €1200
    398kg @ €1190

402kg @ €970
    388kg @ €940

Were those blues exported?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Base price wrote: »
    Carrigallen show the sellers name but Carnaross don't although all the other details are shown including the number of days in the sellers herd.
    I wonder why Carnew are now only showing the sellers name and no address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

394kg @ €1310
    420kg @ €1300
    382kg @ €1210
    344kg @ €1040
    362kg @ €1060
    392kg @ €1200
    398kg @ €1190

402kg @ €970
    388kg @ €940

Hi grueller, what were the dams? Did you say that you were moving into dairy, don't keep a close eye on the forum anymore so not sure, apologies if I'm off.
    Do you sell all as weanlings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I wonder why Carnew are now only showing the sellers name and no address
    I heard someone raised the issue of names & addresses been broadcast on the internet under GDPR and some marts have now stopped showing them as a result. But the way some mat boards are set up it cant be removed for some of the apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

The dealers were very unhappy with names and days been shown on board. There were getting a lot of misses with their cattle through the rings.. I think at a minimum days in herd should be shown.

:) I

Were those blues exported?

Ya patsy. At least five of them were bought by a local buyer that used buy for Garavalli. Don't know who he is operating for now.

jfh wrote: »
    Hi grueller, what were the dams? Did you say that you were moving into dairy, don't keep a close eye on the forum anymore so not sure, apologies if I'm off.
    Do you sell all as weanlings?

Hi Jfh. The dams would be 3 blonde d'acquitaine with 2 of those blondes bred from blue x fr cows. The other blonde was off of a limo x fr cow.
    3 limousin (3/4 bred) and one parthenaise.

All calves were born last August and September so selling weanlings.

Yes I am started dairying. I will keep sucklers still though on the fragmented blocks of land that I have and milk on the home block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Hi Jfh. The dams would be 3 blonde d'acquitaine with 2 of those blondes bred from blue x fr cows. The other blonde was off of a limo x fr cow.

Yes I am started dairying. I will keep sucklers still though on the fragmented blocks of land that I have and milk on the home block.

Are u long milking ?

richie123 wrote: »
    Are u long milking ?

Started this spring

Started this spring

Big lifestyle change. Are u happy enough so far ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Well fair play, must be on top of game to get those prices, I'm sure you'll transition to dairy successfully.
    Interesting the lim were good good behind the blues, I take it you like the blondes, never really got into them, might in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Would see the sellers name not on the board as a huge disadvantage for selling and buying. A lot of men will buy cattle from herds that they always buy from due to the thrive of the cattle. Usually when we sell in the mart the same 3 or 4 lads will buy them year on year and one guy will always buy the cull cows and won’t be stopped when bidding starts. Due to cows being well bred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Would see the sellers name not on the board as a huge disadvantage for selling and buying. A lot of men will buy cattle from herds that they always buy from due to the thrive of the cattle. Usually when we sell in the mart the same 3 or 4 lads will buy them year on year and one guy will always buy the cull cows and won’t be stopped when bidding starts. Due to cows being well bred.

Agree 100% I look out for certain peoples cattle and people look for mine. When you are online and you see the name and address of someone whose cattle you like you would be more inclined to buy.
    GDPR was only ever a rogues charter.

• Advertisement

That's something I hadn't really considered but it is a valid point. On the flip side of that there's lad's who's cattle I wouldn't touch at any price as there bad thrivers, dodges ect. Having said that I wouldn't get overly caught up in buying stock from the same seller unless they suited my requirements. Granted some lads always have nice storey stock to sell that should do very well on better ground and I would be watching out for them if buying. Usually there's more buyer's with the same idea and the stock end up a total rob which kind of defeats the purpose imo.

richie123 wrote: »
    Big lifestyle change. Are u happy enough so far ?

To be honest I am not finding the lifestyle change that big. Cows are cows, be they sucklers or dairy they have to be looked after properly. I put in a parlour that's too big for my needs really so milking take 90 minutes start to finish including getting cows in and out so I am not killed.
    Just to add, one major advantage is that the cows are so quiet compared to sucklers that the kids are happy out around them and love being involved where they were terrified of the sucklers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Well done on those prices.
    What weight would the cows that bred those calves be, would they be R+/U- cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Well done Grueller. More power to you.

To be honest I am not finding the lifestyle change that big. Cows are cows, be they sucklers or dairy they have to be looked after properly. I put in a parlour that's too big for my needs really so milking take 90 minutes start to finish including getting cows in and out so I am not killed.
    Just to add, one major advantage is that the cows are so quiet compared to sucklers that the kids are happy out around them and love being involved where they were terrified of the sucklers.

Fair play to you.ill bet that cheque every month is a big driver.and some change from suckling financially.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Well done on those prices.
    What weight would the cows that bred those calves be, would they be R+/U- cows?

R and U cows but mainly r grades. My cows are not your typical suckler that lads breed shapey weanlings from. I weighed for beep recently so I just looked it up there. The dams of those seven animals weighed from 520 to 660 kilos. The average cow here would be in or around 600kg and generally be a second cross from a friesian. I like a handy enough sized ow and have no desire for huge 800kg cows about the place, save for the day that I'd cull them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

2 LM bull calves 10 months
    460kg €1020 very plain
    505kg €1070 nicely done

Heifer yearlings LM

360kg €1050 plain
    400kg €1060 butty but nice shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

2 LM bull calves 10 months
    460kg €1020 very plain
    505kg €1070 nicely done

Heifer yearlings LM

360kg €1050 plain
    400kg €1060 butty but nice shape

Where is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What's the story now with marts?
    If you want to buy, do you have to notify the mart in advance, or can you just turn up on the day?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

If you want to buy, do you have to notify the mart in advance, or can you just turn up on the day?

Just be there early.

You can just turn up to any of the marts I frequent, you might have to sign a contact tracing register but that's all I've encountered in our local mart. There's staff there to oversee the social distancing aspect so obviously follow there instructions and try to spend the minimal amount of time necessary on the premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You can just turn up to any of the marts I frequent, you might have to sign a contact tracing register but that's all I've encountered in our local mart. There's staff there to oversee the social distancing aspect so obviously follow there instructions and try to spend the minimal amount of time necessary on the premises.

Is that so that you don't buy too much?

Water John wrote: »
    Is that so that you don't buy too much?

I'm not fully sure what you mean John?

I take it you meant my comment about spending the minimal amount of time around the ring. By this I meant that if you haven't any business there then stay away. If you're buying bullocks then there's not much need in standing ringside for the duration of the heifer sale and vice versa. It's a different matter if your actually conducting some business but there is no need for a gang of nosey hoors watching what everyone else is doing and minding there business for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Had a txt from SMB 2 weeks ago saying buyers had to notify the mart of their attendance the evening before the sale.
    But there was no mention of it though on the last 2 weekly notifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

I'm not fully sure what you mean John?

I take it you meant my comment about spending the minimal amount of time around the ring. By this I meant that if you haven't any business there then stay away. If you're buying bullocks then there's not much need in standing ringside for the duration of the heifer sale and vice versa. It's a different matter if your actually conducting some business but there is no need for a gang of nosey hoors watching what everyone else is doing and minding there business for them.

I'd say he understood what you meant but was cracking a joke. Spend the minimum amount of time and money.

• Advertisement

Any one see the blue heifers sold in gortatlea last night?

475 1500

340kg €1310

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

340kg €1310

41/2 mts and 340kgs ????

High bike wrote: »
    41/2 mts and 340kgs ????

Think she was on the high protein ration from early on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Think she was on the high protein ration from early on ;)

Must be great stuff altogether.
    Say 40 kgs birth weight and she's gaining 2.25kgs/day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

High bike wrote: »
    41/2 mts and 340kgs ????

Probably in the rushes a while. Lads messing will want to watch it with sales being videoed. Delay will see a lot of it

Slava Ukrainii

Probably in the rushes a while. Lads messing will want to watch it with sales being videoed. Delay will see a lot of it

Don't be jealous of the Kerry lads, "up the west" don't have a patent on breeding good cattle ;)

Any one see the blue heifers sold in gortatlea last night?

Anything with muscle seemed mentle dear, €900-€1000 with the weight was standard enough for those types. You'd rarely see a bundle of blue weanlings around here anymore but fair play to that man he had good stock and got on well. There was very little value through it I thought, a LM heifer announced as being hurt and sold as seen @ €480 seemed ok but might look very different in the flesh. There was another wisp of a hungry heifer @ €420 that would probably come on with a bit of feeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

watched a few of the weanling sales the last few weeks in Gortalea, this week those heifers were mental but the previous weeks there was plenty value available. I noticed he moved the camera a bit too so you couldn't see the social distancing around the ring...

in Listowel yesterday the auctioneer repeatedly was on the 2m rule so I assume they were wary of inspection

Advertisement