Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sold two more BB bulls today.
    320 kg for €1120
    350 kg for €1200

Both 8 months old and the lighter fella was a twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

No need for a blockade this July at them prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Are marts prices on a rising curve since they reopened ,i have 5 or so hereford 2 yo heifers about 400 -450 kg what would I expect for them

cute geoge wrote: »
    Are marts prices on a rising curve since they reopened ,i have 5 or so hereford 2 yo heifers about 400 -450 kg what would I expect for them

1.60 to 1.80 a kilo based on today depending on quality

Jjameson wrote: »
    Carnew?

Ya.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Yes in my opinion all classes of stock are getting dearer by the day. At this time of year the quality (and quantity) of cattle showed around here anyway tends to decrease each week so even if the price stays the same there still getting dearer. As Grueller say's above I'd be expecting circa €1.80 a kg depending on quality and how fleshy they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Friend sold 3 aa blks in macroom today 410kg €830. Though it was some plaster for them. He'd them on round bales been fed outside the last 3 weeks cause he'd no grass.
    2 of them cost €30 as sucks last April in Bandon mart. Nice to see a lad getting money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It is great to see the small man getting a twist ,that what keeps the show on the road .The dairy man needs all these calf buyers and more.The finishers are always crying they have bought the stores cheap most times ,I know they got caught this spring but they still will get the €100 from Creed .How come the trade for stores is so strong is what I am wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It is great to see the small man getting a twist ,that what keeps the show on the road .The dairy man needs all these calf buyers and more.The finishers are always crying they have bought the stores cheap most times ,I know they got caught this spring but they still will get the €100 from Creed .How come the trade for stores is so strong is what I am wondering

Larry filling lorries at most marts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Friend sold 3 aa blks in macroom today 410kg €830. Though it was some plaster for them. He'd them on round bales been fed outside the last 3 weeks cause he'd no grass.
    2 of them cost €30 as sucks last April in Bandon mart. Nice to see a lad getting money.

They are the dirt if bullocks that could be slaughtered off grass next November/December at 260-280DW. If you wanted something to eat grass and throw a bit of ration into them from late September on they be capable of netting1100 euro at the end of the year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

A lot of cattle slaughtered over the last month's supply in marts is always tight until mid August at the earliest.

Slava Ukrainii

1 The fresh flush of grass.

2 Lads killed cattle early this summer and just replacing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Grueller wrote: »
    320 kg for €1120
    350 kg for €1200

Some money there ! e3.50 a kg

sonnybill wrote: »
    Some money there ! e3.50 a kg

Ya good money. Sorry I didn't take photos because they were serious stock in fairness. My best 9 autumn calved blue bulls are now sold. They left on average over €1150 a head at an average of 365kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jjameson wrote: »
    Leave my Pippa alone!
    If we get a few bob to spread less fert, import less feed it would be great news. The processing cartel will have less cake is all.

Populist politics without the funds to fund it and for all. :D
    Nothing to stop anyone go that route now at this minute.
    The trouble is you won't get rewarded for producing and using less. But penalised for producing and using more - in the future imo. (Cheaper option).

The future..

20200706-144450.jpg

No fert spread either(on that round). And definitely no chemicals.

Either that or hemp or own market stall.

Apologies for going off topic - came from a Cso tweet on factory kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Ya good money. Sorry I didn't take photos because they were serious stock in fairness. My best 9 autumn calved blue bulls are now sold. They left on average over €1150 a head at an average of 365kg.

Great prices....what bb bull are you using.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Great prices....what bb bull are you using.

My own stock bull. He is bred after Adajio de Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

My own stock bull. He is bred after Adajio de Bray.

Thanks Grueller, another question.....what type of cows....I've a few 3/4 bred lims (Black and Red) and I had one that I was thinking of putting a easy calving blue on (is there such a thing) and my AI man was against it....he thought she wasn't good enough ie calving ability....I normally follow my own guidance but don't know enough about Blues so I took his) so went with EBY.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Thanks Grueller, another question.....what type of cows....I've a few 3/4 bred lims (Black and Red) and I had one that I was thinking of putting a easy calving blue on (is there such a thing) and my AI man was against it....he thought she wasn't good enough ie calving ability....I normally follow my own guidance but don't know enough about Blues so I took his) so went with EBY.

Most of my cows would be 3/4 or 7/8 limo Mac. I also have a few Parthenaise, charolais, blonde and an odd simmental. My cows are all 600kg cows roughly. I have very few 800kg cows but they all are at least r grade cows and most would kill as U grade. To be honest I have had more bother calving charolais and limo than I have had with blues.
    The blues get a bad rap on calving but I have used them on 1st and 2nd cross blue cows and have always got the calves out. My current stock bull is here 6 years with over 250 calves on the ground. He has had one section and the vast majority calve unassisted. I wouldn't fear the blues at all but I still don't use them on maidens. From 2and calves on no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Calves and runners were making serious money in ennis today nice 8 week old black lim were making 570 580 there was a serious chx heifer sold at 590

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Most of my cows would be 3/4 or 7/8 limo Mac. I also have a few Parthenaise, charolais, blonde and an odd simmental. My cows are all 600kg cows roughly. I have very few 800kg cows but they all are at least r grade cows and most would kill as U grade. To be honest I have had more bother calving charolais and limo than I have had with blues.
    The blues get a bad rap on calving but I have used them on 1st and 2nd cross blue cows and have always got the calves out. My current stock bull is here 6 years with over 250 calves on the ground. He has had one section and the vast majority calve unassisted. I wouldn't fear the blues at all but I still don't use them on maidens. From 2and calves on no problem.

Jesus, ive cows here the smallest is 640 kg, weighed them today, lim x fr are weighing well over 700kg, just find it hard to belive,
    Not to be smart but did u not have a blue bull a recently that a third of the calves were sections?

Jesus, ive cows here the smallest is 640 kg, weighed them today, lim x fr are weighing well over 700kg, just find it hard to belive,
    Not to be smart but did u not have a blue bull a recently that a third of the calves were sections?

He was a limousin.
    All of my cows are small but have shape. My weight gains wouldn't be massive but calves are shapey. For the export game that is the key, but if they don't make the ship you take a serious beating then due to smaller, less growthy stock. If the e and u export game goes I will have to clear the sucklers and will probably never replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

How much would these cost? It would be gas to buy one and let off in a neighbours place. :D
    https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/water-buffalo/25218655

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

320 kg for €1120
    350 kg for €1200

Great prices well done, where we're these sold, private or at a mart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

How much would these cost? It would be gas to buy one and let off in a neighbours place. :D
    https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/water-buffalo/25218655

There was a guy in scotland on that farming life rearing them, hoped to go milking them but dont think it worked for him

Sold a few ch this week. They'd all be 19 born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Lot of cattle bought in Balla to go north today. One 37mt heifer 810kg went 1780. Ya wouldn't get the smell of it in the factory.

Lot of cattle bought in Balla to go north today. One 37mt heifer 810kg went 1780. Ya wouldn't get the smell of it in the factory.

What breed was she

Slava Ukrainii

3 yr old bb heifer in gortatlea Fri 765kg €2140.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Serious money there I can't see how he's getting away with his friday sales the numbers are crazy. Few hundred cows then loads of stock bulls....thought with covid sales were to be restricted some bit.
    Fair play though he's pulling cattle and buyers from all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Anyone see any bull weanlings going through yet? It’s a bit early I know but I’ve a small batch of nov born bulls middling type suckler bred lads 400 kg plus. Hoping to sell soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lexuslad

Who2 wrote: »
    Anyone see any bull weanlings going through yet? It’s a bit early I know but I’ve a small batch of nov born bulls middling type suckler bred lads 400 kg plus. Hoping to sell soon.

Bought a ch bull weanling October 19 530kg €1080. There was a few 460 -495kg making that and more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I sold a December born orange and white CHx bull weanling 380kg @ €900 Friday. He was a fair calf but not exceptional and weighed well straight off the cow. Having said that he'd probably have made the same price 6 weeks ago but I had him with heifers I wanted to AI as a spotter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Chx bk 575kg 1400
    Lmx bk 525kg 1180

Both 18mnths

Glad i didnt sell em at mart last oct at 700-800euro

In skibb Fri 400kg made €1000 muscle types and big lumps of simmental bulls 500kg were makeing...... 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

What breed was she

Good R grade chx

Just watching the on-line at Carnacross. Ped FR cows selling for great money. Some over €3K.

• Advertisement

Social distancing at Granard Mart today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Social distancing at Granard Mart today.

And not a mask to be seen:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

And not a mask to be seen:rolleyes:

Farmers are the worst I was at sheep and cattle Marts that just opened and very few observing rules of 2m. Its all about them and their 'business' they seem to think they are immune from Covid. Just reading about a doctor died in a Dublin hospital after contracting it. People don't learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kk.man wrote: »
    Farmers are the worst I was at sheep and cattle Marts that just opened and very few observing rules of 2m. Its all about them and their 'business' they seem to think they are immune from Covid. Just reading about a doctor died in a Dublin hospital after contracting it. People don't learn.

I was in town this morning and forgot to bring my mask and didn't want to be going into a shop without a mask to buy a mask. So I turned around and came home:rolleyes:

I think there'll be some shock if we have to go back to stage 2 again.

kk.man wrote: »

If a few marts are closed by the Department/HSE/H&S they will cop on fast. The auctioneer should stop the mart and indicate that the mart will not resume until lads stay the require distance apart or move away from ring. It a matter of obeying the rules. If marts do not manage it 2-3 weeks time lads will be hanging out of each other around the ring and 2-3 deep in places.

Slava Ukrainii

I took that pic above from the on-line app. Every other mart seemed to be getting it right. I was in a supermarket today and over 90% wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

walked into AIB Monday forgot the mask, nobody in there and the one on customer service shouts no mask no entry, she was dead right and I went back to the car to get it, its just got to become habit.

Auctioneer is Listowel was quite good at shouting at em a few weeks back, but old lads will never learn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I took that pic above from the on-line app. Every other mart seemed to be getting it right. I was in a supermarket today and over 90% wearing masks.

Did you ever really look at the masks, some must've been used many times and left in the car since the beginning of lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Just watching the on-line at Carnacross. Ped FR cows selling for great money. Some over €3K.

It was probably small beef finishers driving the trade.
    You know beef is on the up.
    Everybody buy cattle quick.
    Beef is at 370/80 and the same feel good about it as was 7 yrs ago when it hit 465/70

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

epfff wrote: »
    It was probably small beef finishers driving the trade.
    You know beef is on the up.
    Everybody buy cattle quick.
    Beef is at 370/80 and the same feel good about it as was 7 yrs ago when it hit 465/70

ha the lad that bought the may calf for 2300 will be sweating on the price of beef

• Advertisement
Advertisement