Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Grueller wrote: »
    Sold a few more this week.
    5 bulls, all belgian blues, oldest was 12 months
    382kg = €1050
    480kg = €1260
    448kg = €1280
    438kg = €1340
    292kg = €1110

2 bullocks
    BB 450kg = €1000
    Limo 394kg = €880

7 heifers, BB unless stated otherwise, all bar 1 under 12 months.
    428kg = €900
    420kg = €1000
    414kg = €840
    396kg = €1100
    456kg = €950 13 months
    Limo 358kg = €770
    Limo 370kg = €670 very plain animal.

Happy enough

Are they fed ration all year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Sold 6 Weanling heifers during the week:

LMX 290kg €660
    LMX 285kg €680
    SIM 275kg €665
    CHX 275kg €690
    CHX 305kg €710
    CHX 290kg €710

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

tanko wrote: »
    Well done.
    Would all the bulls be going for export do you know?

Ya an exporter bought all five of them.

jntsnk wrote: »
    Are they fed ration all year ?

Creep feeder out since July 15th. Eating 3 kg per day for the last 5-6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Creep feeder out since July 15th. Eating 3 kg per day for the last 5-6 weeks.
    What breeding there Grueller ? Bull or AI?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

All off the dairy herd no doubt! :p

Adajio du bray bred stock bull in the main patsy.

Mooooo wrote: »
    All off the dairy herd no doubt! :p

Ha, be all kya bred Angus runts from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

292 kg and 1100kg! Jesus chrost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can't beat the blue, they must be lovely cattle fair play.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    292 kg and 1100kg! Jesus chrost!

And honest to god, not a word of a lie, he was a twin. His brother sold for €1350 about 4-5 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

And honest to god, not a word of a lie, he was a twin. His brother sold for €1350 about 4-5 weeks ago.

Can never understand why people don’t like twins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Dunedin wrote: »
    Can never understand why people don’t like twins.

They’re great when they go well but there can be problems with them at calving with backways calves etc and maybe weak calves that need a lot of time and effort to keep alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Sold a red LMx heifer yesterday - 350kgs - €950.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I sold a fr bull at the mart a few days ago, Exactly 2 years old on the day of sale, 600 kg I tried fattening him but he was like a greyhound with no arse on him even after pumping him with nuts. I got €830 for him reckoned I worked out alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

tanko wrote: »
    They’re great when they go well but there can be problems with them at calving with backways calves etc and maybe weak calves that need a lot of time and effort to keep alive.

+1000 on the above. It's great when everything works out but they can be a lot of work at times and are often severe on a cow too. A neighbor man had a very wild cow calving twins last week with both coming backwards. We took 2 live calves from her and thankfully she's rearing them both with no issues. I sold 2 red LM year old twin heifer's for a neighbor tonight. 1 super heifer 400kg @ €1030 and a plainer 1 370kg @ €900. It's the best touch he'll have out of suckling this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I sold a fr bull at the mart a few days ago, Exactly 2 years old on the day of sale, 600 kg I tried fattening him but he was like a greyhound with no arse on him even after pumping him with nuts. I got €830 for him reckoned I worked out alright.

It can be very hard to fatten bulls. If you do it on grass you definately need barley, hulls maize mixture. I seen too many lads fattening them with high protein rations. When they are light you really need 100+ days plus feeding for them. That impossible to do outside with a single bull. Animals by the them selves do not thrive most of the time.

However even if only FS2= you might have got 3/kg for him. At 600kgs mart weight he have killed 300kgs. I think he have made more than 900in the factory and that is where he went anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It can be very hard to fatten bulls. If you do it on grass you definately need barley, hulls maize mixture. I seen too many lads fattening them with high protein rations. When they are light you really need 100+ days plus feeding for them. That impossible to do outside with a single bull. Animals by the them selves do not thrive most of the time.

However even if only FS2= you might have got 3/kg for him. At 600kgs mart weight he have killed 300kgs. I think he have made more than 900in the factory and that is where he went anyway.

I was going sending him to the factory but my board bia cert was after expiring and I was told that it’s impossible to get a bull into the factory without being board bia approved. He was getting beef nuts and I tried getting him to eat more energy with maize meal and maize crunch, no way would he eat either even if mixed with the nuts. I even put molasses to get him to eat it and he turned his arse to that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

+1000 on the above. It's great when everything works out but they can be a lot of work at times and are often severe on a cow too. A neighbor man had a very wild cow calving twins last week with both coming backwards. We took 2 live calves from her and thankfully she's rearing them both with no issues. I sold 2 red LM year old twin heifer's for a neighbor tonight. 1 super heifer 400kg @ €1030 and a plainer 1 370kg @ €900. It's the best touch he'll have out of suckling this year.

And that’s my point. So what if they’re a bit of extra work (some singles are hard going too).

I work off the basis if I lose one, I still have the other and if I keep two going then I’ve two calves and I’ve been selective with my cows so nearly all would rear two calves not a bother (zag cows apart but that’s for another day/thread!!!)

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I was going sending him to the factory but my board bia cert was after expiring and I was told that it’s impossible to get a bull into the factory without being board bia approved. He was getting beef nuts and I tried getting him to eat more energy with maize meal and maize crunch, no way would he eat either even if mixed with the nuts. I even put molasses to get him to eat it and he turned his arse to that as well.

I am a huge believer in barley while maize has higher energy barley is way more palatable. However if he was by himself you are fighting a losing battle

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Only got 2.40 for fr that killed out O=2= 40 months old tho killed out at 390 kgs. Second one 2.20 same age but only a P= but he had hurt himself at the tail bone, no ration to either of em

Mooooo wrote: »
    Only got 2.40 for fr that killed out O=2= 40 months old tho killed out at 390 kgs. Second one 2.20 same age but only a P= but he had hurt himself at the tail bone, no ration to either of em

Dunedin bull was under 24 months just so different market

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Few bullocks in mart today all just under the 30 months and q.assurred
    690kg Limx E1460
    690kg Limx E1360
    650kg limx E1340
    580kg hex E1110
    Not sure if factory would have been any better/worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Few bullocks in mart today all just under the 30 months and q.assurred
    690kg Limx E1460
    690kg Limx E1360
    650kg limx E1340
    580kg hex E1110
    Not sure if factory would have been any better/worse.

You happy?
    What was trade like for them type of cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Farmer Dan wrote: »
    You happy?
    What was trade like for them type of cattle?

Certainly was not bringing them home again, never fully happy I suppose. Plenty on online buyers for the big cattle. A few done better and a few worse than I expected. Saw one master chx bullock 760kg go for E1670.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Certainly was not bringing them home again, never fully happy I suppose. Plenty on online buyers for the big cattle. A few done better and a few worse than I expected. Saw one master chx bullock 760kg go for E1670.

He’d have made at least €80 more in the factory if he graded u and under 30 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

What are 350 kg hr bullocks making?

What are 350 kg hr bullocks making?

Herefords that weight are making over 2/kg. Hard to come across them. Most stuff I see for sale are over the 400kgs and make the 2/kg+. Having said taht I saw a 330kg He bullocks only make 600 in Kilmallock yesterday. Even if you only want to see prices now use the LSL or Marteye app for a few local marts. Gortnalea in Kerry runs until 9pm on a friday night so if you can look nowhere else watch taht.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Herefords that weight are making over 2/kg. Hard to come across them. Most stuff I see for sale are over the 400kgs and make the 2/kg+. Having said taht I saw a 330kg He bullocks only make 600 in Kilmallock yesterday. Even if you only want to see prices now use the LSL or Marteye app for a few local marts. Gortnalea in Kerry runs until 9pm on a friday night so if you can look nowhere else watch taht.

Bought 10 HEx Jan/Feb/March 19 last week on DD.
    Hard to know exact weights but I would guess averaging about 440/450kg at €890.
    Always worry I gave too much after leaving but when they arrived I'm happy. Nice shapely cattle that should do well come next July.

• Advertisement

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Always worry I gave too much after leaving but when they arrived I'm happy. Nice shapely cattle that should do well come next July.

Bought six good middle of the road Friesians yesterday 400kgs 600 euro. They will do well next August/September. All March on the cards so they can go to September. If grading hold as well next year like this year they will turn a bob. Also bought two 370kgs for 590 but were May born so can go to next November. I expect them to more than double there money on average.

Problem with heavy AA or HE stores is there is a limit to there top value at 370kgs as well you have to finish by 30 months. The HE to average that would need to kill 360kgs on average and hit 4.15/kg inc bonuses. I expect my friesiand to average it at present base prices. The HE would want a base of 3.85/kg to do that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Bought six good middle of the road Friesians yesterday 400kgs 600 euro. They will do well next August/September. All March on the cards so they can go to September. If grading hold as well next year like this year they will turn a bob. Also bought two 370kgs for 590 but were May born so can go to next November. I expect them to more than double there money on average.

Problem with heavy AA or HE stores is there is a limit to there top value at 370kgs as well you have to finish by 30 months. The HE to average that would need to kill 360kgs on average and hit 4.15/kg inc bonuses. I expect my friesiand to average it at present base prices. The HE would want a base of 3.85/kg to do that.

Those fr were great value. You did well there and won't lose on them. Private or mart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Those fr were great value. You did well there and won't lose on them. Private or mart?

kk.man wrote: »

Mart add a tenner for fees and I bought them home myself in a couple of runs with my Rav and an 8X5 box

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Personally i think those Fr's are too light at this stage of the year - i would think they should be 50kg heavier to get a decent kill on them next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

sold 6 good square lengthy red hex heifers ex br fr cows, mar/apr '19 430kgs €900

1 of the drovers at the mart approached me & asked were they all suitable for breeding as he had an online customer if so

I assured him they were all maidens.

no interest in those last spring only 1 guy who offered 600. ex shed. were on rough grazing since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

And in fairness to your man gave me €50 luck penny and another €50 towards the haulage.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Personally i think those Fr's are too light at this stage of the year - i would think they should be 50kg heavier to get a decent kill on them next year

Not really. Just watching Friesians at present 330 kgs can be got sub 500 euro, 360/370 for 550 and 400 kgs for about 600 euro. The 370 one's I bought were particularly square and I was filling second load in the box.

When you got above them weights prices jump, I saw 435kgs make 700 euro today and in general 450 ones always make over 700 euro and you will pay 800 for 500kg+.

350-400 kgs Friesian's are better value in that case. Way cheaper to carry over the winter, usually they have a bit more compensatory growth than the heavier ones. While the heavier ones may gross more it hard to close that 100 euro gap.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

And in fairness to your man €50 luck penny and another €50 towards the haulage.

You have them at less than € 2 a kilo .
    Not much in them for the man who brought them this far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Seen a nice fr trio in gortatlea tonight 400kg about €520. July 19 born. Badly not, not badly bred. Looked chancey.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Seen a nice fr trio in gortatlea tonight 400kg about €520. July 19 born. Badly not, not badly bred. Looked chancey.

Bulls

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

kk.man wrote: »

Journal price tracker showing fr 500kg e810

Bulls

Steers

Steers

Sorry they wer badly done I meant.

Steers

Buying in Kerry is a different game. I should not be educating people. I have followed them for another bit. Gortnalea cattle can be quite empty. Now usually it Friday I follow it. July 19 born and 400 kgs would not be light IMHO.

AFAIK Wednesday is a weanling/ runner mart unusual to see bullocks there. That would effect there prices. Not too many bullock men would be online to bid on them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

A 220kg shorthorn heifer made €880 about an hour ago. She was nothing spectacular either. Hard to make sense out of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

DBK1 wrote: »
    A 220kg shorthorn heifer made €880 about an hour ago. She was nothing spectacular either. Hard to make sense out of that.

Two interested parties and I'm assuming she was a nice roan colour? A solid red or all white Shorthorn doesn't usually sell as well as a roan one of the same quality. It's the time of year where lad's have money gathered up from the sale of a few weanlings and the first of the subs are paid out. They like to reinvest in something after the year's work and that sort of a purchase would be within most lad's abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

What’s the best value out there at the moment? Nice few reared calves on DD at handy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Two interested parties and I'm assuming she was a nice roan colour? A solid red or all white Shorthorn doesn't usually sell as well as a roan one of the same quality. It's the time of year where lad's have money gathered up from the sale of a few weanlings and the first of the subs are paid out. They like to reinvest in something after the year's work and that sort of a purchase would be within most lad's abilities.

There is a niche market for these roan heifers , a lot of men like them to cross with a charolais , they are milky and throw a nice colour of calf .

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Brother reared a few angus and hereford heifer calves this year, just wondering what sort of money they'd be worth now? Feb born, probably 220kgs, no bellies on them like alot of calves would have. Would they be worth €2/kg? Wouldn't have a clue of them sort of cattle and haven't seen anything similar in the marts lately to compare them too. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement