Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Good price, if he gets paid???????

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If there average to good quality and the weights are accurate then I'd consider it a fair price currently. By the time you add haulage, commission and other mart associated costs you'd want at least another €30 a head and I'd imagine they'd struggle to achieve anymore across the bunch. The marts are packed atm due to the time of year and other uncertainty. If they were mine I'd be strongly considering that offer tbh.

Very true Albert, neighbor is a cattle dealer and he would say he can take €30 less in the yard than he can in the ring, plus he says he needs another €30 to buy them in the first place.
    Just drove past the mart in Carnaross there, never seen such a que into it before, guessing this weather would make lads move weanlings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Good price, if he gets paid???????

There's that too of course but no price is a good one unless you collect payment. I've seen a good variety of different customers come and go and for the most part a good man never lasts. The man who can give way over the odds usually runs out of capital and eventually burns all those he deals with. Someone who pays less but cough's up everytime is a safer bet in the long run imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Micey.ie

If there average to good quality and the weights are accurate then I'd consider it a fair price currently. By the time you add haulage, commission and other mart associated costs you'd want at least another €30 a head and I'd imagine they'd struggle to achieve anymore across the bunch. The marts are packed atm due to the time of year and other uncertainty. If they were mine I'd be strongly considering that offer tbh.

+1,and they will be 10-20kgs lighter in the ring after standing in mart for few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

There is some big sale in gortatlea to night the weanling heifers did not start yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anybody watching the incalf heifers selling in roscrea last night? Some were too well fed for my liking and a good few were very wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

orm0nd wrote: »
    Anybody watching the incalf heifers selling in roscrea last night? Some were too well fed for my liking and a good few were very wild.

Few were wild alright. Didn’t think they were too well fed, few on the small side Imo (Below 500kg). Got good money for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

K9 wrote: »
    Few were wild alright. Didn’t think they were too well fed, few on the small side Imo (Below 500kg). Got good money for them

What was the price range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

There is some big sale in gortatlea to night the weanling heifers did not start yet.
    5 to 3 when the heifers finished selling. It’s madness really, they badly need a second ring there. Having stock standing in pens for 12 hours + before selling doesn’t do them any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

DBK1 wrote: »
    5 to 3 when the heifers finished selling. It’s madness really, they badly need a second ring there. Having stock standing in pens for 12 hours + before selling doesn’t do them any favours.

Sadly same happens in allot of Marts
    Not fair on cattle

Not fair on cattle
    Between ground conditions and the lockdown everyone was selling last night. There was a dairy sale on first so the weanling sale didn’t start until 6 instead of 5. But there was up near 1,200 went through the weanling sale. It’s an awful lot to be going through 1 ring.

Not fair on cattle

Last Tuesday there was 3 rings going at the same time in Ennis. When you bring in your cattle in the morning, you will be told to have them there at a certain time, like 9.05 etc. If you are late, they will say it to you.
    Military precision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

That’s a ridiculous hour for both Man and beast to still be at the mart....bound to be less buyers around the ring at that hour of the night so the man selling stock is losing out and cattle would be tired and weighing badly also.

Last Tuesday there was 3 rings going at the same time in Ennis. When you bring in your cattle in the morning, you will be told to have them there at a certain time, like 9.05 etc. If you are late, they will say it to you.
    Military precision.

That's how big sales would want to be ran at all times imo. I worked all through the lockdown in the local marts and with the above systems in operation everything worked well overall. Once the restrictions were lifted it all drifted back to the old way of working. It's not much fun working in a big sale and it's worse again when everyone lands an hour before the sale. I've often seen more cattle outside in trailers than in the mart a half hour before the sale is due to begin. Our local mart was the biggest in a good few year's the last night, it wasn't over until after 2am.

That’s a ridiculous hour for both Man and beast to still be at the mart....bound to be less buyers around the ring at that hour of the night so the man selling stock is losing out and cattle would be tired and weighing badly also.
    There was only about a dozen left around the ring at that stage but the online bidding was still very active. The dealers up and down the country love the online bidding in them big sales as they know they’re bound to get a few bargains at that hour of the night and all from the comfort of their own couch!! There was good heifers selling for €2.30 to €2.50 a kilo but they were weighing poor after a long day.

• Advertisement

Military precision.

30 pens of dry cows there to day , PN jetting through them now

orm0nd wrote: »
    30 pens of dry cows there to day , PN jetting through them now
    PN has improoved big time. Years ago it was impossible to hear what he was saying. He used to drive my dad nuts. He'd want to bid on cattle, but he wouldn't know the bid price . Much easier understand him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Gortatlea was a good trade the whole night. The only value a black lm or hex bulls 300kg.

Talks of 15 to 20 been let around the ring but bidding on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Military precision.

Same in Carrigallen, I've to be there at 8.25 Saturday morning with calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lads selling only look at price per kg. You go to buy out of a lads yard and he has weighted his weanling fresh a week back. He be looking for the price of mart cattle that sold at a fancy price in Gortnalea at 7or8pm in the evening. These cattle went into a scales 8-10 hours after leaving there own field. They be 30-50kgs lighter than fresh weight.

Prices in these busy marts where cattle are standing 6+hours would be nowhere near as fancy if they they had 2-3rings running. Huge difference in real weight in an animal bought at 1pm in Kilmallock compared to an animal bought out of Listowel at 4pm but an animal out of Gortnalea at 7-8pm is in another league.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Lads selling only look at price per kg. You go to buy out of a lads yard and he has weighted his weanling fresh a week back. He be looking for the price of mart cattle that sold at a fancy price in Gortnalea at 7or8pm in the evening. These cattle went into a scales 8-10 hours after leaving there own field. They be 30-50kgs lighter than fresh weight.

Prices in these busy marts where cattle are standing 6+hours would be nowhere near as fancy if they they had 2-3rings running. Huge difference in real weight in an animal bought at 1pm in Kilmallock compared to an animal bought out of Listowel at 4pm but an animal out of Gortnalea at 7-8pm is in another league.
    If you could get them in Gortatlea at 7pm it wouldn’t be too bad but it was near 3am last night finishing. I’d say minimum 30 kilos gone off the lighter heifers and 50 or 60 kilos gone off the heavier ones at that stage compared to if they were weighed when they were being loaded in the farmers yard at 11 or 12 yesterday morning. There’s lads travelling an hours drive and more with stock to sell there so that’s a very long day on any animal.

If a farmer could sell them for 20 or 30 cent a kilo less after weighing in his own yard he’d be far batter off financially and to be honest the buyer probably would be as well. A lot of the lighter stock would have only been pulled from cows yesterday morning and be sent on there and shipped around the country then. It takes a long time for an animal to recover from that and they’d be very prone to pneumonia and things like that. Buying them based on “fresh weight” might cost the buyer a bit more but at least you can load them into the trailer and bring them straight to your own yard without all the stress of the mart.

PN has improoved big time. Years ago it was impossible to hear what he was saying. He used to drive my dad nuts. He'd want to bid on cattle, but he wouldn't know the bid price . Much easier understand him now.

There was a local guy fairly advanced in years that used always buy in nenagh. Quality cattle became scarce there so he hit Ennis.

Anyhow we were rising him in the pub one night and asked how he liked Ennis

Well he said your man was going bl bl bl bl and I bought a couple of lots.

When I went in to pay for them they were a hundred more than what I thought. But sure I wanted them anyhow.

I told PN some time later and he had a good laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you could get them in Gortatlea at 7pm it wouldn’t be too bad but it was near 3am last night finishing. I’d say minimum 30 kilos gone off the lighter heifers and 50 or 60 kilos gone off the heavier ones at that stage compared to if they were weighed when they were being loaded in the farmers yard at 11 or 12 yesterday morning. There’s lads travelling an hours drive and more with stock to sell there so that’s a very long day on any animal.

If a farmer could sell them for 20 or 30 cent a kilo less after weighing in his own yard he’d be far batter off financially and to be honest the buyer probably would be as well. A lot of the lighter stock would have only been pulled from cows yesterday morning and be sent on there and shipped around the country then. It takes a long time for an animal to recover from that and they’d be very prone to pneumonia and things like that. Buying them based on “fresh weight” might cost the buyer a bit more but at least you can load them into the trailer and bring them straight to your own yard without all the stress of the mart.

It was store bullock times I was referring to. Kilmallock has seperate rings for bullocks, cows and heifers and calves weanlings. Listowel is cows first then bulks, sucklers, heifers and then bullocks. Gortnalea is similar to Listowel but a longer mart. Wait too long to bring bullocks in and they are at the end of the sale in Listowel or Gortnalea.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

my 2 cents is the weanlings in Castleisland weren't bad Monday, that's where I'd take them ahead of Gortalea its just too hard on cattle there, yes maybe a few euro less but when you add it up I reckon your better off.

Dunedin wrote: »
    What was the price range

Probably averaged around €1600/1650. Best of them over €2000 or close to it

Listowel today, everyone outside the ring on the phone bidding. At least you can see the cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Listowel today, everyone outside the ring on the phone bidding. At least you can see the cattle.

Where were lads out in there cars or around passage ways and the catwalk? If you could be present in the mart and see the animals entering the ring it would be workable,

morphy87 wrote: »
    Where were lads out in there cars or around passage ways and the catwalk? If you could be present in the mart and see the animals entering the ring it would be workable,

Sorry I should have made it more clear. Around the passage ways, the gangways & as the cattle come out the ring. All bidding away against each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

Sorry I should have made it more clear. Around the passage ways, the gangways & as the cattle come out the ring. All bidding away against each other.

That’s not too bad, I thought you could only come in in the morning inspect the stock and then everybody had to leave the premises?maybe they are saying this publictly but people can hang around if they want

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Military precision.

The previous Thursday in Ennis , heifers penned before 8 weren’t sold until 4.30 pm . Sale didn’t start until after 1 pm
    Keeping cattle for 2 plus years to have them lose 30 kgs on their last day isn’t good enough.
    I know that we are in difficult times but the producer who has the animal the longest, has always been the loser .

• Advertisement

GNWoodd wrote: »
    The previous Thursday in Ennis , heifers penned before 8 weren’t sold until 4.30 pm . Sale didn’t start until after 1 pm
    Keeping cattle for 2 plus years to have them lose 30 kgs on their last day isn’t good enough.
    I know that we are in difficult times but the producer who has the animal the longest, has always been the loser .

What would you propose as a solution?

Stage 1 - As you know, all the drovers, even the auctioneers, are busy all morning bringing in the cattle, putting on the numbers and then penning them.

Stage 2 - They then start the mart and sell the cattle.

Stage 3 - Help buyers get their cattle and get them up the chutes again.

Only other way, is to have all 3 stages going the same time. It could be done but a lot more difficult to manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I just saw a few lots of cows selling online ,I taught prices were strong .No big glut of cattle helps ,are all the big sales over with

GNWoodd wrote: »

To be honest any of the buyers in Ennis I find don't take any notice of weights.
    I don't anyway, cattle are different gravy up there to the rest of us :)

One Thing that would speed up selling is if animals were grouped together as much as possible. Nothing more depressing watching singles go through the ring when they could of been sold together.

K9 wrote: »
    One Thing that would speed up selling is if animals were grouped together as much as possible. Nothing more depressing watching singles go through the ring when they could of been sold together.
    That’s without doubt the most frustrating thing anyone can do in a mart. It’s depressing to see the same cattle from the one farm all coming in one after another at the same age and only a few kilos between them when they could be grouped in 3’s and 4’s.

It turns me off bidding on them as it’s the sign of a man that either doesn’t know his stock or is that mean that he’s afraid he might lose out on a fiver on one or 2 of them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

It’s common practice selling singles around me. Dealers cattle will land every so often with a rig every so often or if in pairs there’s usually a wild one in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

That’s without doubt the most frustrating thing anyone can do in a mart. It’s depressing to see the same cattle from the one farm all coming in one after another at the same age and only a few kilos between them when they could be grouped in 3’s and 4’s.

It turns me off bidding on them as it’s the sign of a man that either doesn’t know his stock or is that mean that he’s afraid he might lose out on a fiver on one or 2 of them!!

Absolutely...what is wrong with farmers that they won't batch up cattle ...marts should put there foot down and insist on a minimum of 2 Ina lot!

one day I saw a lovely lot of 4 char. cattle stopped by local cattle shark and he got them for a song ,next lot of 4 from same herd comes in and the same thing ,so no wonder you see singles and doubles from the same herd

• Advertisement

Stage 1 - As you know, all the drovers, even the auctioneers, are busy all morning bringing in the cattle, putting on the numbers and then penning them.

Stage 2 - They then start the mart and sell the cattle.

Stage 3 - Help buyers get their cattle and get them up the chutes again.

Only other way, is to have all 3 stages going the same time. It could be done but a lot more difficult to manage.

Those stage's would generally overlap during the course of an average sale. I work on the chutes numbering and reading cards and the sale would usually be started before the last of the cattle were penned. By then it's time for a quick bite to eat and the first of the buyer's will be loading up again while the mart is still ongoing.

To do all the above consistently throughout the day would require extra staff as it takes plenty of man power to run the chutes, yard and rings at the one time. It would also test the facilities as there'd be cattle going in all directions at once. That's not to say it couldn't be done but would customers be open to increases in commission to help facilitate those changes.

cute geoge wrote: »
    one day I saw a lovely lot of 4 char. cattle stopped by local cattle shark and he got them for a song ,next lot of 4 from same herd comes in and the same thing ,so no wonder you see singles and doubles from the same herd
    If the other lads around the ring were standing back to let him buy them cheap then they’d either stand back and let him buy the singles cheap as well or they’d all take turns and they’d all have 1 cheap so I don’t think having them grouped would make any difference to that.

Online bidding has put a stop to most of that sh**e now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I'd generally disagree on pairing cattle for sale unless they truly are similar.
    Anything less will put off good judges buying and be a dis service to the seller on the better one.

In fairness any pairs i see usually are well paired though.

richie123 wrote: »
    Absolutely...what is wrong with farmers that they won't batch up cattle ...marts should put there foot down and insist on a minimum of 2 Ina lot!

It's usually easier to batch dairy stock as they'd be more consistent as regards quality. Suckler stock would generally be a more mixed bag from different cow and bull types so it's harder to match them up. That's not to say it can't be done but you'll generally see more singles in marts in suckler strongholds as compared to dairy country. I've often seen men landing with suckler bred stock and no two would be the same weight or types so I don't know how you could reduce lots in such situations.

ruwithme wrote: »
    I'd generally disagree on pairing cattle for sale unless they truly are similar.
    Anything less will put off good judges buying and be a dis service to the seller on the better one.

Yea I wouldn’t just pair them for the sake of it, they would have to be similar cattle.

If the other lads around the ring were standing back to let him buy them cheap then they’d either stand back and let him buy the singles cheap as well or they’d all take turns and they’d all have 1 cheap so I don’t think having them grouped would make any difference to that.

Online bidding has put a stop to most of that sh**e now anyway.

A good chance a farmer standing in the mart will throw in a bid if there is a single animal under value if he ends up with it well in good but he probably would not chance a bigger lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw a weanling heifer and bull put through together in Gortatalea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

ruwithme wrote: »

Would agree with you, grouping cattle for the sake of it is pointless. In the Mart a 3 weeks ago and 1 farmer had 5 groups of 3 in it, obviously just numbered them as they were in the shoot. I actually bought 1 of the groups 2 AAx & 1 MOx, all from dairy cows, March 19 born, avg 480kgs, €810, weighed the best of the AAx on Saturday he was 630kgs, I would guess the MOx is feck all along with 400kgs and the other AA not much more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Danzy wrote: »
    Saw a weanling heifer and bull put through together in Gortatalea.

That's a rare one, would they be twin's I wonder as I often heard oul lad's saying it was unlucky to split them. I saw a bundle of bullocks lately where one was late 2017 born and another spring 2019. I'd find it hard to believe that those stock weren't better sold in singles.

Having said that I often wonder how tightly some watch the boards as I brought home a "weanling" for a neighbor Friday night that I suspected to have had a fair few birthdays. It was after 3am and I was in a rush home so I didn't delay in loading her and away out the road. He rang me the following day for a chat and I asked about who sold her and her age. Having located her card he discovered she's August 18 born, some lads would want a belt of a lump hammer to waken them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Would agree with you, grouping cattle for the sake of it is pointless. In the Mart a 3 weeks ago and 1 farmer had 5 groups of 3 in it, obviously just numbered them as they were in the shoot. I actually bought 1 of the groups 2 AAx & 1 MOx, all from dairy cows, March 19 born, avg 480kgs, €810, weighed the best of the AAx on Saturday he was 630kgs, I would guess the MOx is feck all along with 400kgs and the other AA not much more either.

Buyers are saying they find it difficult online to see the cattle in bunches properly too

• Advertisement
Advertisement