Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

morphy87 wrote: »
    Were they doing this in the Mart’s that you work in since Thursday since these new restrictions came in? Yeah you are right it can get awkward

To an extent yes, I've bought stock this week for lad's that aren't using the online system for whatever reason. There's no person nominated for that job as such but we'd accommodate someone as required. I texted on suitable lot numbers to more buyer's who stayed at home today and they bid for them when the time came without seeing them in the flesh.

I'm just in the door from what was a large and successful organic sale. Seemingly it was a mixed day for marts throughout the country and hopefully we'll see a different approach in the coming week. There's a few on here very critical of marts atm, as with everything it's all very straight forward when your removed from the situation. As for stories about what does and doesn't go on I often wonder do some lads believe everything they hear or read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

52k for a Simmental bull today. Super looking animal.

He sure is, his sire was a bargain at 22,000 guineas a few years ago.
    Is there a clip of todays auction anywhere?

I see there's a video on thats farming on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

In fairness Albert there is a massive difference between a mart in Cork & 1 in Leitrim just as there is a massive difference in farming between both counties & what you make a living on in 1 you wouldn't in the other. As the saying goes far away hills are always greener, but you can't beat your on local mart. You ll have an idea of the stock & how they will go on if you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

tanko wrote: »
    He sure is, his sire was a bargain at 22,000 guineas a few years ago.
    Is there a clip of todays auction anywhere?

I see there's a video on thats farming on youtube.

https://thatsfarming.com/beef/video-e52000-for-clonagh-lucky-explorer-at-roscommon-mart/?amp=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

But they weren't. From what I saw one day last week going to collect cattle and I looked into the ring there was twenty lads huddled around the ring and no distancing. All the tanglers were hanging out if each other.

Marts managers make there own job hard by not implementing rules. Like the incident last week where some buyers are parking lorries at loading gate an hour or more before the mart ends.

Look at the masks rule it was only implemented in some marts on the last 1-2 weeks. It was exactly the same with the no smoking rules you still see it in some marts where lads come in around the ring with a cigarette in there hand.

You can often have teething problem with the technology. I imagine the problem is the numbers logging onto the system.

I saw the mart manager from Kenmare complaining last Thursday. I suspect either the internet connection is poor there probably never upgraded to fiber and maybe poor.mobile service around mart.

Marts knew this could happen for last six months. All marts should have fiber internet connection by now. They should also have installed WiFi networks around the mart carparks. If they had a buyer could log on with a labtop or pad and buy away.

Gortnalea was perfect last night. Prices as strong as ever and an odd bargain as well normal mart. I have sixty stores bought this year 15 direct from farms and 45 online. Never stood inside the door of a ring except to look in at the usual bolloxolgy

I have been in kenmare mart. Problem is its surrounded by high hills all around it, few miles outside kenmare so doubt any fibre there and you will struggle to get any mobile reception there too.
    They only went online 2 weeks ago so still probably learning how to use the system.
    What added to his problems id say was with single bids the 'mart' may have been left with a number of animals.... Hence the pressure to get other bids.
    I was at a mart on Friday and it was a joke, usual tangles huddling outside mart door all with their phones, at least online can over ride that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

grange mac wrote: »
    I have been in kenmare mart. Problem is its surrounded by high hills all around it, few miles outside kenmare so doubt any fibre there and you will struggle to get any mobile reception there too.
    They only went online 2 weeks ago so still probably learning how to use the system.
    What added to his problems id say was with single bids the 'mart' may have been left with a number of animals.... Hence the pressure to get other bids.
    I was at a mart on Friday and it was a joke, usual tangles huddling outside mart door all with their phones, at least online can over ride that nonsense.

Ya I have been at that mart a few times. Like I said only getting online in last 2-3 weeks shows poor management. That's based in a small amount business estate about 3 miles from Kenmare. I have taught the fiber broadband from eir would be that far out if pushed. He a county councillor if I remember right.

It was noted over the years for ''single bidding'' as you put it. But online would have been a huge advantage if it had been put in place all summer. It goes back to those that survive are those that adapt. Kenmare is not exactly a small mart. It's a has large sheep sales in the autumn as well as weanling sales. However it can be very quite from May to early August.

Saturday was hopefully an anomaly across the bidding systems and hopefully they will have it sorted for next week. I say the problem was many lads were bidding from.home on computers, pads and labtops set to hi-resoulution and the bandwidth demand crashed the systems. This would have been Kenmare's problem but I suspect in there case it was there system that could not cope.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Were all the cattle that were bought to marts yesterday and taken home afterwards after being booked in have a movement attached to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Were all the cattle that were bought to marts yesterday and taken home afterwards after being booked in have a movement attached to them.

Thought it’s not recorded as a movement but the days in herd starts from yesterday

Sacrolyte wrote: »

No
    It will be logged on the CMMS but it not of farms/herd numbers that the cattle are in that count

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Wife works in local hospital and they put on the local mart on a screen for a few lads and they love it.might be an idea if you have a couple cocooning neighbour s to try sort it that they can watch it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

K.G. wrote: »
    Wife works in local hospital and they put on the local mart on a screen for a few lads and they love it.might be an idea if you have a couple cocooning neighbour s to try sort it that they can watch it too

My Dad tunes into a few different marts each week....passes a few hours for him.

In a way this is why systems crash. Everybody watching is taking up bandwidth. Marts have to adapt fast. Anybody now can log onto any mart anywhere in the country to buy cattle. You can buy bunches of cattle on marts 60-70 miles away. Marts on a Friday and Saturday's will have a terrific advantage. I think Gortnalea is great you can spin down Saturday morning to collect you purchases.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

In a way this is why systems crash. Everybody watching is taking up bandwidth. Marts have to adapt fast. Anybody now can log onto any mart anywhere in the country to buy cattle. You can buy bunches of cattle on marts 60-70 miles away. Marts on a Friday and Saturday's will have a terrific advantage. I think Gortnalea is great you can spin down Saturday morning to collect you purchases.

You can bring the man out Kerry, but not Kerry out of the man.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Somebody should release recordings of these as box sets. Sure the auld lads wouldn't mind what years sales they were looking at. Reminds me of my grandfather and his friends of the same vintage. They used to be fascinated watching the old Hollywood westerns that had these big cattle drives. Used to always comment on the quality, or lack of it, of the cattle in the drives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Somebody should release recordings of these as box sets. Sure the auld lads wouldn't mind what years sales they were looking at. Reminds me of my grandfather and his friends of the same vintage. They used to be fascinated watching the old Hollywood westerns that had these big cattle drives. Used to always comment on the quality, or lack of it, of the cattle in the drives.

Yeah but when a fellas cattle that they know come up for sale they get fierce interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hopefully the the complete **** show yesterday with modern technology will force the Govt to allow marts have a certain amount of buyers around the ring. Let the lads who are happy to take there chance buying off the telly buy on line and those that prefer to see them in the flesh get in ringside. Yesterday was a disaster for sellers and animal welfare for those that had to go home and come back again next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Robson99 wrote: »
    Hopefully the the complete **** show yesterday with modern technology will force the Govt to allow marts have a certain amount of buyers around the ring. Let the lads who are happy to take there chance buying off the telly buy on line and those that prefer to see them in the flesh get in ringside. Yesterday was a disaster for sellers and animal welfare for those that had to go home and come back again next week

Talking to someone who buys a good few cattle and he said being allowed in ringside doesn't work either. You have to stay in your place and you can't go in and out to look at the cattle during the mart. Looking down from the top of the steps, you might as well be at home on the computer.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I was bought a load of cattle at a mart Fri . Went in and wrote down the numbers of what I wanted, I bid away outside but my phone kept buffering & freezing.
    Bought a load at the start of the week ringside & there's no comparison whatsoever. Think I'll wait till ringside is back in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I was bought a load of cattle at a mart Fri . Went in and wrote down the numbers of what I wanted, I bid away outside but my phone kept buffering & freezing.
    Bought a load at the start of the week ringside & there's no comparison whatsoever. Think I'll wait till ringside is back in action.

Sounds like buyers remorse! Sickening

Talking to someone who buys a good few cattle and he said being allowed in ringside doesn't work either. You have to stay in your place and you can't go in and out to look at the cattle during the mart. Looking down from the top of the steps, you might as well be at home on the computer.

That is why probably I am comfortable buying online. You could never squeeze in around the ring in most marts. Some are actually grand from not too bad seats( Kilmallock and Castleislandfor instance)however more you need to be standing up as the seats are separated from the ring by a large walk way and seating is not steep enough or stars to low relative to ring(Listowel and Gortnalea).

It matters more buying forward stores rather than lighters stores. I finished buying this year anyway

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You adapt to but it costs money. It took me a while to judge cattle up high from the seats but your eye will train to it. It the same with the online staying at home and judging online is more accurste. With lighter stores anyway

Slava Ukrainii

You adapt to but it costs money. It took me a while to judge cattle up high from the seats but your eye will train to it. It the same with the online staying at home and judging online is more accurste. With lighter stores anyway

It's all cows I buy. It's can't be done without seeing them first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

News just said, no change to restrictions, online only, staying.

It's all cows I buy. It's can't be done without seeing them first.

You be surprised your eye trains itself in fast. If you overpaid someone pushed you to within 10 euro of them so he made a miscalculation as well. Never saw the benefit of looking at cattle in pens. Bunched in like that they are hard to judge. An animal that costs a hundred euro more has to hang 25kgs heavier and grade a notch higher to break even.

Then again I buy a store with time. You just work on an average over a summer. You are trying to get so many out in June/July, kill a bunch in August/Sept and manage the rest efficiency over the rest of the year.

I taught you couldn't lose money on cows

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Even allowing for pre sale inspection, whatever about the weight as most farmers will have a fair idea but you won’t know the age of the cattle.

Age is a big factor for me if I were buying as I’d need them to fit in the rest at home on a 30 month system. So essentially you will have to mark your lots and then be vigilant on the age and weight when they come into the ring (from online)

Would help if marts had a paper sheet with lot no.s , age,movement's,tb test date and breed if aa or he available in the pre sale viewing time.

Save wasting time watching out online for the lad only buying a small number and would also mean quicker viewing ,suiting all.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Quick question. I’ve a few good quality Ch year and a half heifers. Out on grass, no meal, reckon weigh about average 550kg at moment. Debating selling them now or holding them on until Jan/Feb. Plenty of shed space and fodder. Just wondering what sort of daily weight gain would you expect out of them over the winter on silage with a 2/3 kilo of ration. Or would they need more than that to keep them going? Thanks

You be surprised your eye trains itself in fast. If you overpaid someone pushed you to within 10 euro of them so he made a miscalculation as well. Never saw the benefit of looking at cattle in pens. Bunched in like that they are hard to judge. An animal that costs a hundred euro more has to hang 25kgs heavier and grade a notch higher to break even.

Then again I buy a store with time. You just work on an average over a summer. You are trying to get so many out in June/July, kill a bunch in August/Sept and manage the rest efficiency over the rest of the year.

I taught you couldn't lose money on cows

Ha ha, try them for a year & see yourself,
    I can write a book as thick as the bible of hard luck stories & cows dying, mastitis, incalf etc etc
    I'd some run for 2 weeks last Aug, you think you'd be clear that time of year from misfortune.

I'd be thinking bass had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he typed that last line.

ruwithme wrote: »
    I'd be thinking bass had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he typed that last line.

Ha ha thank god for that. Their harder to keep alive than snotty weanlings from a dealer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Big problem I find is as Bass said is trying to judge them packed into a pen. When buying Contenintal cattle it can be hard to tell if they are full of meal or not when you only see them in a packed pen and then on the telly. Lads buying to finish off grass could end up with ones that will have to be finished out of the shed. Might no be as big a problem with dairy bred stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

Would help if marts had a paper sheet with lot no.s , age,movement's,tb test date and breed if aa or he available in the pre sale viewing time.

Save wasting time watching out online for the lad only buying a small number and would also mean quicker viewing ,suiting all.

The local mart gives out a list before the sale, it gives every lot and includes the age,breed and who owns the cattle so you know everything about the lot before they enter the ring except the weight, it’s very handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Most but not all LSL marts offer a online catalogue which can be viewed prior and during the sale. Afaik it updates as cattle arrive are uploaded into the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sold 4 yellow whitehead charolais heifers today 296kg 780
    2 red lims 305kg 760
    And another charolais heifer 375kg 840.
    Thought the last one would make 900 but happy enough overall. Was a great touch for the 4 together.

Sold 4 yellow whitehead charolais heifers today 296kg 780
    2 red lims 305kg 760
    And another charolais heifer 375kg 840.
    Thought the last one would make 900 but happy enough overall. Was a great touch for the 4 together.

The online in Bandon was pretty crap today. Camera not showing picture but sound working away in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

The online in Bandon was pretty crap today. Camera not showing picture but sound working away in parts.

The sooner the marts are back in real action the better

For me the online is only a means to an end in desperate times - i hope to god they do away with it as soon as this Carona thing is passed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Panch18 wrote: »

For me the online is only a means to an end in desperate times - i hope to god they do away with it as soon as this Carona thing is passed

I’d like it to stay
    Lots of times I’d be out to buy some cattle but have to leave for some reason
    For days like that I could go see all and leave before the sale and get someone at home to bid on the chosen lot numbers and save me going another day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

I wonder what the outlay is for setting up the online functionality? Anyone know what the marts are paying

I can guarantee you thing it will not be done away with. It impossible to get the genie back in the bottle. If anything I expect marts to adapt to it. It will be really interesting to watch calf marts when the glut arrives next year. I expect that it will put a floor under calves in places like Brandon. If you can buy a batch of calves you can head away and collect them. You could even buy at two marts that are in a direct line from you

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    I wonder what the outlay is for setting up the online functionality? Anyone know what the marts are paying

It would all depend on what you spec it at. You pay for how many can log on to your mart at any one time. I cannot imagine it would be expensive in the overall run of mart costs.

Another reason it will stay is it allow lads to.watch and see what stock are making.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

Anyone watching the machinery auction run by hennessy today.
    Anything of quality made good money. Some people got very carried away. Seen a 8ft landroller sell for 1000 plus cons soon. A 8ft land leveller sell for 900 plus commission. Better value on done deal I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Heard third hand that a mart paid 20k to go online, whatever that included I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

From memory there’s a modest setup fee. After that it’s something like 1 euro per animal SOLD ONLINE and 50 cent per calf SOLD ONLINE. Can’t remember exact figures but it’s somewhere in that ballpark.

timple23 wrote: »
    Heard third hand that a mart paid 20k to go online, whatever that included I don't know.

Internet connection. Your standard broadband connection is no use here. Fiber would be the best solution and a decent bandwith. Issus with that is it is only required 1 day a week at a lot of marts very few o beyond 2 days per week. I amazed more marts do not install dedicated Wi-Fi for customers to log onto in the yard. If they are charged/animal by an bidding provider a dedicated yard bidding solution would reduce costs. It would also take part of the bandwith demand from the bidding app.

As well you will have screen and equipment to interface with the bidding application provider. Camera's and transmitting equipment.

Slava Ukrainii

I can guarantee you thing it will not be done away with. It impossible to get the genie back in the bottle. If anything I expect marts to adapt to it. It will be really interesting to watch calf marts when the glut arrives next year. I expect that it will put a floor under calves in places like Brandon. If you can buy a batch of calves you can head away and collect them. You could even buy at two marts that are in a direct line from you
    We bought a good few calves on line this year without viewing them in the mart. I don't have time to drive an hour and a half away to look at potential purchases. Proper lighting in the ring is very important when buying online and black ended calves (AAx & HEx) are the most difficult to judge. Imo the marts need to publish the dams breeding on the mart board - it's on the cards now so it should be published. There are so many cross bred dairy cows/herds (JEx/Kiwi) using AA, HE and AU sires to try and disguise the JE/Kiwi influence and add value to the calves. These calves are the most difficult to judge on line. At this stage I look at the thickness of their cannon bone along with the general conformation to get an idea of the quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Started a thread on the sheep forum where we can discuss people thoughts on whether the exclusively online Marts are going to work well or not...With sheep I think it will be very hard for people to judge the level of feeding on stock when they can't see them in the flesh and also to spot problems like footrot or long hooves on them etc....someone mentioned it here as well that it will be very hard for likes of someone buying store cattle to judge how pushed the cattle are that they are interested in bidding on if they only get a fleeting look at them in the ring iykwim.

Anyone bought or sold cattle in these totally online sales over last few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Internet connection. Your standard broadband connection is no use here. Fiber would be the best solution and a decent bandwith. Issus with that is it is only required 1 day a week at a lot of marts very few o beyond 2 days per week. I amazed more marts do not install dedicated Wi-Fi for customers to log onto in the yard. If they are charged/animal by an bidding provider a dedicated yard bidding solution would reduce costs. It would also take part of the bandwith demand from the bidding app.

As well you will have screen and equipment to interface with the bidding application provider. Camera's and transmitting equipment.

That's a very good idea. Most could stay in their car/jeep.

I'm looking at Carrigallen mart tonight from NCD and the lighting in the ring is excellent. They are selling mature bulls at the moment and you can see them properly including their feet which is important when buying a bull.

Wi fi would be good in car park alright. If their going to invest heavy in it,their going to want to keep it after.

Covid will be to marts like what some claim the smoking ban was to pubs re the social element of it. Difference though is it could save and make them money in the long run with reduced insurance costs no. 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tileman wrote: »
    Anyone watching the machinery auction run by hennessy today.
    Anything of quality made good money. Some people got very carried away. Seen a 8ft landroller sell for 1000 plus cons soon. A 8ft land leveller sell for 900 plus commission. Better value on done deal I think

Missed it, but spotted a new looking bale grab (red hands) on the catalogue. Any idea what it fetched? Also, the older tine grabs, can you remember what money any of them made?

• Advertisement
Advertisement