Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Robson99 wrote: »
    I only buy in the Marts but I don't see a problem with a man selling pushing the price if his animals or a good Auctioneer getting the most he can for the seller. There is no obligation on anyone to buy them. If a buyer is silly enough to give too much for them then his tough **** even if he has been taken for a ride

The other side of that is no obligation on anyone to sell them. If unsure,stay out of the sellers box and sell them subject. If their good stock and selling at the right time,they will sell themselves without any owners help at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

ruwithme wrote: »
    The other side of that is no obligation on anyone to sell them. If unsure,stay out of the sellers box and sell them subject. If their good stock and selling at the right time,they will sell themselves without any owners help at that time

True but isn't the name of the game to maximise you're sale price. Am I wrong go price one factory of the other when I am killing them or should I just take what I am given ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Robson99 wrote: »
    I only buy in the Marts but I don't see a problem with a man selling pushing the price if his animals or a good Auctioneer getting the most he can for the seller. There is no obligation on anyone to buy them. If a buyer is silly enough to give too much for them then his tough **** even if he has been taken for a ride

I can never under stand this attitude of going picking out specific lots to bid on. I was at the mart in early October last year. These cattle came in, were they badly done. There was six AA bulls weighting 300 ish kgs they actually looked like JEX's I bought them for less than 500 into my own yard, a single good bull in the rushes a while 400kgs 600 euro, an AA and a beltie cost 570 as well as a couple of HEx @ 660 and a Friesian @ 700. The lad that bough them home for me was wondering why I did not buy decent cattle.

Three of the AA's have gone over age, there is still one left underage, three went this week and one two weeks ago averaging 1300 each, the friesian made 1230 euro in July, the beltie made 1050, the two HEX avergaed over 1350 each. The bull from the rushes is still under age expect him to hit above 1350. two of the overage AA should hit 1150-1200 each. The last overage fella has a split in the hoof but will finish at some stage, he surely hit 950-1K

Too many fella want to buy short term cattle. That was the best twist I ever made on cattle. They get bulled too easy. On any bunch of them cattle I was gone in another 30-50 euro/ head. I knew it was a risk buying them, one of the real poor fellas could have gone toes up. The first few days after I bough them home I had to get the vet to squeeze some of them and do the hooves on 4 of the AA that had limps.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

€9000 for Martin.

Four owners at that age and in his herd nearly a year.....that normal??

ruwithme wrote: »

Up until online cattle sold subject were often 100-200 less than the general trade any time I was at the mart....unless I or some farmer like me went bidding on them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

50HX wrote: »

I dunno what's normal anymore. How are commercial heifers now making over €5000? The prize money, and that's if they win is only in the €100s.
    As for roan cattle .........what's all that about?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I can never under stand this attitude of going picking out specific lots to bid on. I was at the mart in early October last year. These cattle came in, were they badly done. There was six AA bulls weighting 300 ish kgs they actually looked like JEX's I bought them for less than 500 into my own yard, a single good bull in the rushes a while 400kgs 600 euro, an AA and a beltie cost 570 as well as a couple of HEx @ 660 and a Friesian @ 700. The lad that bough them home for me was wondering why I did not buy decent cattle.

Three of the AA's have gone over age, there is still one left underage, three went this week and one two weeks ago averaging 1300 each, the friesian made 1230 euro in July, the beltie made 1050, the two HEX avergaed over 1350 each. The bull from the rushes is still under age expect him to hit above 1350. two of the overage AA should hit 1150-1200 each. The last overage fella has a split in the hoof but will finish at some stage, he surely hit 950-1K

Too many fella want to buy short term cattle. That was the best twist I ever made on cattle. They get bulled too easy. On any bunch of them cattle I was gone in another 30-50 euro/ head. I knew it was a risk buying them, one of the real poor fellas could have gone toes up. The first few days after I bough them home I had to get the vet to squeeze some of them and do the hooves on 4 of the AA that had limps.

Your first line in your post, when I go to buy cattle in the mart I go through the pens and pick the cattle that suits our job when buying heifers and bid to a price and either get them or not. Everybody buys what they require and won’t buy what doesn’t suit the system. What looks value is not always value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I dunno what's normal anymore. How are commercial heifers now making over €5000? The prize money, and that's if they win is only in the €100s.
    As for roan cattle .........what's all that about?

They'll be worth 2k as culls probably, if they have a heifer calf, you should get 1400 or that handy, all in hope for tbe right good one I spose

50HX wrote: »

Well shed have to be in his herd that long to be put In calf etc, don't see how the 4 owners makes a difference

• Advertisement

Your first line in your post, when I go to buy cattle in the mart I go through the pens and pick the cattle that suits our job when buying heifers and bid to a price and either get them or not. Everybody buys what they require and won’t buy what doesn’t suit the system. What looks value is not always value.

No but an animal that costs a hundred euro more has to kill 25 kgs heavier than the one 100 euro cheaper. 200 euro is nothing when buying cattle. I notice when you move below 400 kgs in stores there is way less competition when buying.
    Mixed bunches of cattle that finish at different stages often have few bidders, an ould rig in the bunch put many off. Friesian heifers not fit for breeding will often have no bidders, a bunch with one or two cattle that will go over 36 months.

By limiting your selection you limit your profit.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Like Bass i bought 3 fr in April at the mart dealers cattle weight 400kgs cost 640. They looked poorly done. Brought them home. Killed 2 last month avg 1000. Got one fella changed to a Hereford at tb test as he had mostly a white head with no fr star he made 1130. I'll kill the last lad in next few weeks should get 930 ish. I had a reck at 670e bought in March he made 1200. These were not cattle you'd stop to admire in a field. I don't go for adoration it's all about profit. I think most ppl think I am mad but I let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

No but an animal that costs a hundred euro more has to kill 25 kgs heavier than the one 100 euro cheaper. 200 euro is nothing when buying cattle. I notice when you move below 400 kgs in stores there is way less competition when buying.
    Mixed bunches of cattle that finish at different stages often have few bidders, an ould rig in the bunch put many off. Friesian heifers not fit for breeding will often have no bidders, a bunch with one or two cattle that will go over 36 months.

By limiting your selection you limit your profit.

Have to agree in other words buy value not a certain weight and a certain breed,don't be stuck on one specific type of animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Threw in for more lots online than I normally would, bidded to a low level, expecting little but surprised to pick up a few at good value.

You'd feel like a bollox in the mart, bidding to a low level repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Quite a problem locally with dealers in the car park. All in Cahoots and preventing any competition leaving prices lower.

richie123 wrote: »
    Have to agree in other words buy value not a certain weight and a certain breed,don't be stuck on one specific type of animal.

Yes but going out to pick specific bunches to bid on limits you vision to where the real value may be. It hard to concentrate on what is in or coming into the ring if a bunch you picked is coming into the he scales in 2-3 lots time. Time is another factor. Too many are after the fast finishing 2-4 month cattle. Costs are excessive, rations are 250/ ton+ this year. Margin on short term cattle can get eaten into very fast

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Threw in for more lots online than I normally would, bidded to a low level, expecting little but surprised to pick up a few at good value.

You shouldn't, have often got on cattle and found bidding continued for 30-80 euro after I was out. If I cannot see a decent margin they can stay there. The f@@ker that sees a bigger margin can have them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

€9000 for Martin.

4 owners... wonder how much original seller got. Prob 900 n delighted

Quite a problem locally with dealers in the car park. All in Cahoots and preventing any competition leaving prices lower.

What do you mean exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Danzy wrote: »

Or you'd be wondering what u we're missing that everyone else had twigged except u !!😆ðŸ˜
    U can concentrate better online without some clown ****e talking into ur ear while bidding normally in d ring !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Yes but going out to pick specific bunches to bid on limits you vision to where the real value may be. It hard to concentrate on what is in or coming into the ring if a bunch you picked is coming into the he scales in 2-3 lots time. Time is another factor. Too many are after the fast finishing 2-4 month cattle. Costs are excessive, rations are 250/ ton+ this year. Margin on short term cattle can get eaten into very fast

Its a happy medium Bass. There is value out there.
    I bought a lmx weanling for 480. had it 24 mts hung at 1704 last month at 29mts U-3=.
    Bought an aax suckler bullock in April 840 died 1550 last week 21 mts old R+4=
    I bought 2 aax suckler bullocks at 24 and 21 mts in April for 780. 390 and 400kg live weight. They will be going in a few weeks. Horribly done. Never seen grass never mind a dose id say. We'll see how they do. They will be going with an elephant of a chx I bought as a 6mt old for 580 that just won't stop growing and put flesh on to kill. He will be 30 mts in Dec. Had an aax dairy bullock for 980 in March kept for 82 days and did 1330. Two aax and a fr for 590 in April 2019, killed a year later for 1550ave. Value is value no matter the age whether it is long or short term.
    Those all bought on farms.

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    Got one fella changed to a Hereford at tb test as he had mostly a white head with no fr star he made 1130.
    Is there much hassle doing that is it just a matter of the vet signing off on it

Slava Ukrainii

Its a happy medium Bass. There is value out there.
    I bought a lmx weanling for 480. had it 24 mts hung at 1704 last month at 29mts U-3=.
    Bought an aax suckler bullock in April 840 died 1550 last week 21 mts old R+4=
    I bought 2 aax suckler bullocks at 24 and 21 mts in April for 780. 390 and 400kg live weight. They will be going in a few weeks. Horribly done. Never seen grass never mind a dose id say. We'll see how they do. They will be going with an elephant of a chx I bought as a 6mt old for 580 that just won't stop growing and put flesh on to kill. He will be 30 mts in Dec. Had an aax dairy bullock for 980 in March kept for 82 days and did 1330. Two aax and a fr for 590 in April 2019, killed a year later for 1550ave. Value is value no matter the age whether it is long or short term.
    Those all bought on farms.

I agree with what you are saying. However it very hard to buy short term value cattle in the mart. It easier out of a yard. Went to buy a bunch of Fr stores in Sept 2019, he had a pure black Fr bullock ( NZ cross or something) 600 ish kgs paid 700 for him he hung slightly over 1400 last Christmas and a SH bullock(half freemartin twin) paid 600 with another bunch of stores he made 1300 in January. As you say value is value. But picking out a few nice bunches of Heifers or bullocks in the pens limits you vision to value going through the ring.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Make that 9000

Gone to the northeast, Louth i suppose, you buy mine and i’ll buy yours.
    That’s a big jump from 5K, they’ll have to go to 13K next year.

tanko wrote: »

That's what i was thinking but didn't want to say it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

What do you mean exactly?

I'll buy this one, You buy that one, He'll buy the other one

I'll buy this one, You buy that one, He'll buy the other one

What harm is that? Nothing stopping others from bidding.

Ardlea/Elite sale now on at 1pm today in Roscrea mart. Quality looks good.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/commercial-herd-complete-dispersal-sale-ardlea-el/26369286

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Ardlea/Elite sale now on at 1pm today in Roscrea mart. Quality looks good.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/commercial-herd-complete-dispersal-sale-ardlea-el/26369286

Was watching it there but stream seems to have stopped or is it just me? Can watch other ring and marts ok - Maybe crashed?

Ya, seems to have crashed alright.

Ya, seems to have crashed alright.

Which site is it on?

• Advertisement

martbids.ie
    roscrea ring 1

keeps crashing on me

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

martbids.ie
    roscrea ring 1

keeps crashing on me

Going ok for me now. Don’t seem over dear but a lot of them look fairly ordinary on camera anyway - hard to judge them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

not overally dear , that auctioneer isn't up to the bar for online . likes to listen himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Cow with bull calf and served in July

orm0nd wrote: »
    not overally dear , that auctioneer isn't up to the bar for online . likes to listen himself
    I think he's a good auctioneer. He always brings a bit of life of proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I think he's a good auctioneer. He always brings a bit of life of proceedings.

Compare him to Dave that's selling now. He has the bidders on their toes. Know G for decades he's still using the same punch lines time to turn the record over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Didn't realise Dave was an Auctioneer now dealt with him when he was in castleisland and was a big loss when they moved him on. Had a few deals with him since and always sound out. Great to see him selling and well able

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Cow with bull calf and served in July

It's a considerable price for a soon to be 8 year old cow imo. It's one thing buying a first calver and hopefully holding onto her for a good few year's but I find that once a cow gets to 10 or 12 her best days are over in most cases. Those bigger more muscled continental cows in particular tend to get wore out faster than a leaner plainer traditional type imo.

We all know of cow's that lasted 15+ year's and still done the business but there's a large percentage of cow's that are culled for whatever reason before there 7 years old. Granted you've a weanling to sell in the near future but it's a serious calf that will gross much North of €1000 atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

At 9k how long will it take to her to turn a profit. It would take a fair pedigree heifer of any breed to be 9k.

• Advertisement

It's a considerable price for a soon to be 8 year old cow imo. It's one thing buying a first calver and hopefully holding onto her for a good few year's but I find that once a cow gets to 10 or 12 her best days are over in most cases. Those bigger more muscled continental cows in particular tend to get wore out faster than a leaner plainer traditional type imo.

We all know of cow's that lasted 15+ year's and still done the business but there's a large percentage of cow's that are culled for whatever reason before there 7 years old. Granted you've a weanling to sell in the near future but it's a serious calf that will gross much North of €1000 atm.

Seen a lovely sweet limousin heifer there, 340 kg 1130, connemara calf, if the quality is there you'll get the money

Seen a lovely sweet limousin heifer there, 340 kg 1130, connemara calf, if the quality is there you'll get the money

I'll not argue that but it's still 2 or maybe 3 quality weanlings and a good cull price before we're into cost in my mind anyway. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd bet that cow will be on the downhill after all that and it's time to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Was watching MOC’s sale last night €2500 to €3000 seemed to be about the run of them for none halter’d animals - selling incalf heifers might be only the road where there might be a bit of profit out of beef/suckling.

Fine Simm in-calf heifers selling there now in Roscrea for 1500.

More heifers in balla, tops was 2500 for a 800kg ch heifer, quality was hard bought, over 1800 for heifers calving relatively soon of quality

josephsoap wrote: »
    Was watching MOC’s sale last night €2500 to €3000 seemed to be about the run of them for none halter’d animals - selling incalf heifers might be only the road where there might be a bit of profit out of beef/suckling.

There's a lot of work involved and expense involved in getting them to that stage though. Heifer's of that quality are hard found and harder bought, then you have to get them incalf and there's always a small minority that won't take the bull for whatever reason. Quality is only one aspect, docility is paramount when selling springers.

It's a fair undertaking in both labour and expense to put together a bundle of those types, bull them and carry through until there springing down. My biggest fear would be Tb, imagine being stuck with 50 of those heifer's with no choice but to calve them down. You'll have the occasional mishap with heifer's slipping calf or breaking after 3 months ect, you've an expensive beef heifer at that stage.

Finally your customers will be your harshest critic's. As with everything you could sell 100 good ones and hear nothing but 1 hard luck story will always rise to the fore. It will be your fault in there eyes if the bull was too hard calved, the heifer overfed ect. Your relying on repeat custom and if there not happy they won't be back. Martin is a good few year's at it now and it's only in the last 5 year's that he's really started to excel. It takes awhile to build up a name and that's half the battle when it comes to real results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

You’d buy 6 or 7 good store Fr for the price of one cow and calf. Mightn’t have a U but it might be a better investment.

I honestly think lads would be better off picking their best cows and breeding heifers off them. Considering the way suckling is going, even that is questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Is there much hassle doing that is it just a matter of the vet signing off on it

Kinda Bass. My vet would be fussy and has tendencies like Doc Martin (TV series) but if you have one that genuinely resembles a WH he will do it. It's not the 1st time he did it for me but I wouldn't push it far.

The last fellas head was 6/8 white with a black streak almost down the middle. He genuinely had Hereford breeding somewhere in him and had the look of being suckler reared albeit poorly.

At 9k how long will it take to her to turn a profit. It would take a fair pedigree heifer of any breed to be 9k.

If she has a heifer calf, it might be sold for 5K in Carnaross in a year or two, you just never know:rolleyes:

If she has a heifer calf, it might be sold for 5K in Carnaross in a year or two, you just never know:rolleyes:

You buy 15-18 middling FR stores for the price of her, they double there money in 12 months and you could go again

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement