Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ass to floor vs parallel

2»

Comments

id be interested to see your deadlift form actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Candito made a video on this recently

Myself, I squat to just below parallel.

Its good to have the mobility to go ATG, hold pistol squats etc. But if you want to get strong lift the most amount of weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Too many warm up reps, foot pidition, habd positions, tempo, pause etc.
    These are all valid factors that will affect your squat. But if you are deadlifting 150kg but only squatting 70kg there is something grossly wrong with what you are doing. We are talking about a back squat right? (Just to confirm).

There's could be something very wrong with your form. It's worth making sure there isn't.

Watching some of the Olympic lifters videos on YouTube's good for getting an idea of how they're done properly. The benefits are obviously better ROM which means better gains (strength and size).
    Based on what?

If it were true, abd ATG gave better strebgth gains, then Powerlifters should ATG in training, and parallel in comp.

Oly lifters squat high bar ATG because it replicates the bottom of a clean or snatch, and it's efficient to get as liw as possible under the bar.

Powerlifters squat to parallel because it's was picked as a less-subjective pount to judge on. And it's still plenty subjective.
    If you aren't training for either sport, then squat depth isn't nearly as important are people make out. Consistency is far more important imo, but even still depth can be a progression just like weight or reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Mellor wrote: »
    Powerlifters squat to parallel because it's was picked as a less-subjective pount to judge on.

The ruling is actually Squat must be below parallel. your hip joint must be lower then the knee joint.

Ive just competed in a powerlifitng event and the judges would fail u automatically if u were parallel. must be below parallel.

• Advertisement

The ruling is actually Squat must be below parallel. your hip joint must be lower then the knee joint.

Ive just competed in a powerlifitng event and the judges would fail u automatically if u were parallel. must be below parallel.
    We are talking about the same thing. When people talk about a "parallel squat", it's where you break parallel.
    http://stronglifts.com/squat/depth/#ParallelSquat

I think the technical rule is actually hip crease below knee, as the hip joint isn't directly visible.
    Although some Feds have used very liberal interpretations when judging WRs. "The judges opinion on the angle of his femur" or some other nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Ooh sorry i wasnt aware that the below parallel squat was known as parallel squat but the Ruling is:

Upon receiving the head referee’s signal, the lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint is lower than the top of the knees.

http://internationalpowerliftingorganization.com/rules%20IPO.htm

Off topic anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ooh sorry i wasnt aware that the below parallel squat was known as parallel squat

Just shorthand. Most people understand what it means :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Warm ups should be 2 to 5 reps only. If you want to increase your squat then Hanley has a thread on how this is done. 5setsx8reps at 70% 1rep max week 1, 5x6 75% w2, 5x5 80% w3, 5x4 85% w4, 5x3 90% w5, 5x2 95% w6. This assumes one leg day a week. When you get to the end, start again but increase the weight by 5-10kg, should see an increase in what your squatting then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

possibly some 160 -200 kg leg press machine days might help .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

just a bit of an update

i took in everyones advice and yesterday i done:

bar x 12
    bar x 12
    60 x 6
    70 x 6
    80 x 6
    80 x 3

bye bye been stuck on 70

thanks everyone for advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I was squatting with 30kg today after I hurt my leg a few weeks back and there were two fellows opposite me with 90kg and they were about 45 degrees off parallel. It seems to me in my rubbish gym that the 'ass to grass' squat isn't very popular at all. I think a big part of it is the sobering realisation that you can lift a lot more weight to parallel than when you drop deep without rounding your back etc. I think a lot of the guys I see in the gym doing 45 degree squats would probably only manage five reps with 20kg if they did it properly.

Advertisement