Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Beer Mile 2015, June 13th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

davedanon wrote: »
    Luas to Heuston and the 145 out would be an option for getting there.

Just get the 75 Dave from Firhouse to Deansgrange and I'll pick you up there. Alternatively get the 75 as far as Dundrum and the Luas from there to Cherrywood.
    Much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

10/15 minute walk I'd say?
    You're making big assumptions about the very secret location of the beer mile stadium there.... But yeah, we walked that way for the first beer mile, and laden down with bottles, it took us around 10 minutes (maybe 20 minutes for a sprinter). ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I'm back in....maybe* :D Ferns is cancelled due to 1500 training so what better prep than a Prosecco mile?! But ssssh don't tell coachy :D

* I reserve the right to wimp out and be BG's second-in-command mammy hair holder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

good job I looked at the date again, coulda sworn this was on Friday :D

I hope to make it there, but in a documentary role. How far from the Dart is this place ? and What Dart is the shortest walk ? Killiney looks like the closest station as the crow flies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You're making big assumptions about the very secret location of the beer mile stadium there.... But yeah, we walked that way for the first beer mile, and laden down with bottles, it took us around 10 minutes (maybe 20 minutes for a sprinter). ;)

Is that the very secret location publically posted with map directions in the OP ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is that the very secret location publically posted with map directions in the OP ? :)
    Yes, but it's not mentioned until the third sentence. That's called subterfuge.

PaulieC wrote: »
    good job I looked at the date again, coulda sworn this was on Friday :D

I hope to make it there, but in a documentary role. How far from the Dart is this place ? and What Dart is the shortest walk ? Killiney looks like the closest station as the crow flies...

Yeah the Killiney stop is probably closest but still a good 20 minute walk away.

Does the 7 bus goes near your Gaff? It goes right by the track (jump off at Churchview Rd at the Tesco).

P.S. Race video is mandatory for official purposes, in case any records get broken.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah the Killiney stop is probably closest but still a good 20 minute walk away.

Does the 7 bus goes near your Gaff? It goes right by the track (jump off at Churchview Rd at the Tesco).

P.S. Race video is mandatory for official purposes, in case any records get broken.

The 7 is close enough, seems to stop at the RDS which is only a few minutes away. I'm a bit thrown with the mistake I made on the day though. I had cleared the decks for Friday, not sure if anything is on Saturday that I might have agreed to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I think this beer mile in turning ye all into wimps - ye run miles upon miles week in week out & ye're stressing over a possible 20 walk :confused:

kit3 wrote: »
    I think this beer mile in turning ye all into wimps - ye run miles upon miles week in week out & ye're stressing over a possible 20 walk :confused:

every runner knows that walking is a load of sh1te

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    every runner knows that walking is a load of sh1te

C'mon Chivito - how about some Friday afternoon entertainment ??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hahaha, this sprinter will still end up beating about 70% of the distance runners in this event! :D

On a side note, never knew of that short cut from Cherrywood LUAS!

Right folks - as most of you will know we ran a fundraiser on the forum here back in March. At the time I optimistically stupidly stated that if we raised over €1000 I would wear a fancy dress costume of the forums choice at the beer mile. We ended up raising a staggering €1420 so I am at the mercy of the forum and also eternally grateful to you guys.

For some reason certain people have been fixated on the mankini suggestion but this was indeed just a suggestion on my part - it's not any great desire of mine. biggrin.png Some people have also expressed a very active dislike for the idea too and frankly I don't blame them at all. I wouldn't want to see me leg it around in a mankini either pacman.gif

Is there any decent suggestions from the forum that can be practically implemented / sourced by next weekend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Right folks - as most of you will know we ran a fundraiser on the forum here back in March. At the time I optimistically stupidly stated that if we raised over €1000 I would wear a fancy dress costume of the forums choice at the beer mile. We ended up raising a staggering €1420 so I am at the mercy of the forum and also eternally grateful to you guys.

For some reason certain people have been fixated on the mankini suggestion but this was indeed just a suggestion on my part - it's not any great desire of mine. biggrin.png Some people have also expressed a very active dislike for the idea too and frankly I don't blame them at all. I wouldn't want to see me leg it around in a mankini either pacman.gif

Is there any decent suggestions from the forum that can be practically implemented / sourced by next weekend ?

A highly regarded beer miler in Melbourne dressed up as a giant can of VB (Victoria Bitter) on one occasion. It certain fits the theme of the event.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    A highly regarded beer miler in Melbourne dressed up as a giant can of VB (Victoria Bitter) on one occasion. It certain fits the theme of the event.

Would this do?
    http://www.thecostumeshop.ie/?gclid=CjwKEAjwkcWrBRDg5u6SuPS11C0SJAChLLAHSkNAy3LH_aLK6hRT7r_1qLPEUDMAThN7jeNkBsG4fxoCYQ3w_wcB#/product/10465

They're Irish too so he could collect :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I'd like to see you speed walk the mile :p

BDfVm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I'd like to see you speed walk the mile :p

BDfVm.jpg

Haha. Bryan Cranston in Malcolm in the Middle. His line when the other speed-walker was videoed cheating on his technique was the equal of anything from Breaking Bad.

"Why you're nothing but a common jogger!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

No no no... The princess one is much better :-)

• Advertisement

I think you'd need to have raised at least €2,000 to justify the mankini so I'd say you're save there. The beer bottom is apt

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

Mankini for a beer mile - what a load of balls, Snow White for the track princess is good craic, Beer bottle is good, you could go as TFGP - this fat guy pukes...

Paulie - records broken - I could be good for the most penalty laps... Might end up doing 2 miles

Anyone heading from Leixlip/ Celbridge area or meet in town before hand ?

(I volunteered (drunk) in January to run Hell n Back for a team on the same day...) drink practice starts Monday

Ron Gomall wrote: »

Paulie - records broken - I could be good for the most penalty laps... Might end up doing 2 miles

FYI even if you puke 10 times you only have to do 1 penalty lap. It's to be done at the end in all cases, i.e. Your last lap should be 800m

I think you'd need to have raised at least €2,000 to justify the mankini so I'd say you're save there. The beer bottom is apt

Feck auto correct - I did of course mean the beer bottle - not the beer bottom !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Both fine choices.

Ron Gomall wrote: »
    Mankini for a beer mile - what a load of balls, Snow White for the track princess is good craic, Beer bottle is good, you could go as TFGP - this fat guy pukes...

Anyone heading from Leixlip/ Celbridge area or meet in town before hand ?

(I volunteered (drunk) in January to run Hell n Back for a team on the same day...) drink practice starts Monday

TFGP -low blow :pac:

Thanks for the suggestions folks. In terms of practicality (as in sourcing and making sure delivery by the weekend) it needs to be something available through an Irish site, retail outlet or that someone has already and can organise a lend. Also from a budget point of view lads I've about €40 to spend on this !

So far then I have only been able to find this from the suggestions that meets the criteria ...

This beer bottle

Or another option ...

Paddy's Draught

There is also a possible throw back to olden times on the board here with a Messiah costume.

Any other suggestions that fit ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Arsenal kit?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Arsenal kit?

Worst case scenario only softened by fact I could get to puke all over one. :mad:

You could ask AMK for his nun costume that he used in 2013?

There is also a guy in Knocklyon that has been running races in a beer bottle costume a lot recently (he's going for a WR at Waterford marathon). I'm sure Raycun or one of the Bros pearse guys could help you ask if you could borrow it

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Arsenal kit?
    Worst case scenario only softened by fact I could get to puke all over one. :mad:

Judging by the reaction this seems the front runner ;)

With NI Champs over with, and no 400 for 3 weeks, this evening was to be the start of my beer mile training. I was tired from racing today, so doing a session would be ideal prep for next Saturday as I will have run a 100/200 at Leixlip before the big one at the National Beer Mile Stadium.

I went for the Moosehead stuff that all of you have been raving about for 2 years now. It's absolutely awful stuff. I had thought about going with James Boags again like last year. It actually doesn't feel right doing a beer mile without an Aussie Beer after doing my last 4 with Hahn Super Dry twice (pussy beer), Coopers 62, and James Boags. But with Boags being 375ml, and albeit a bit smoother to drink, why disadvantage myself by 100ml for the sake of nostalgia?

Session was 3 x Moosehead off 60 sec recovery. Recovery will be shortened in future sessions. Conditions were nice for this. Room temperature in the house, with Champions League on in the background. Beers were 30 mins out of the fridge, a bit cold, maybe 45 mins next time.

Beer 1: this went down nicely. All in one continuous movement with no breaks. The beer tastes awful though as I had never drank it before, and I haven't done this for a year so the body went into shock. 27.3 seconds

Beer 2: similar enough until about 80% through when I took a short breather. Finished the rep off nicely. 36.9 seconds

Beer 3: Feeling rough now. Burping throughout my recovery. This rep was tough and halfway through after taking my first breather I changed my technique from continuous skulling to short sharp big gulps with short breathers in between. It worked well, and despite feeling rough managed 45.0 seconds.

For all of the above I opened the bottle about 10 secs before each rep so the bottle opening isn't part of the total time.

Tough session, but surprisingly didn't feel as drunk after as I thought. Any of you guys planning on winging this on the day though, would you run a marathon off a 12 mile LSR? Would you run a 400m race without the speed endurance work? Get training now, and get logging that training. A week of madness begins!

• Advertisement

I've been diligently following a regimented beer programme over the last 2-3 weeks. I have had 3 goes at 3 beers and tonight was my 4th go at 4 beers.
    At all times I have started each beer 1 minute after the previous, i.e. If I take 20 seconds I get 40 seconds recovery, If I take 30 seconds then i get 30 seconds recovery etc.

Anyway I am not sure if the training is doing me any good. I can always manage to get the first 3 beers down in under 30 seconds each, but no matter what I do (and I have tried changing all sorts) the 4th beer leaves me buckled over half way through. I think I will taper from here on in and hope the adrenaline on the night gets me through :o.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My local is out of Moosehead. Need to go further afield to secure a supply of this awful beer.

Is this just beer training or are ye running too ?

Our Lord and master, Josh Harris posted a video earlier showing that the best beer mile training is 4 beers with 30 second recoveries. Who am I to argue with that?

Besides, the buzz after necking 4 beers is pretty cool :)

I would hope we are all running!!

I assume you mean Beer+Run sessions though. I used to always do a beer 800 and beer 1200 session before each beer mile in Oz. But the timing of the beer miles there suited as I was in the off season for it, or just before the track season started so it never interfered with my normal training. Also the club who owned the track we used were dead sound about us using the track for beer mile sessions, as long as the kids didn't see such tomfoolery. Here however they are so anal with tracks (not that there are many). There's the possibility I may head out to Marlay Park after my gym session on Thursday, but the fear of getting seen in broad daylight may be too much so I might stick to beer only sessions given all of the above.

Unless TRR has friends in high places in Tallaght and can book the track for a session.

Oh, make sure to do your sessions on a empty stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Beer 1: this went down nicely. All in one continuous movement with no breaks. The beer tastes awful though as I had never drank it before, and I haven't done this for a year so the body went into shock. 27.3 seconds

Beer 2: similar enough until about 80% through when I took a short breather. Finished the rep off nicely. 36.9 seconds

Beer 3: Feeling rough now. Burping throughout my recovery. This rep was tough and halfway through after taking my first breather I changed my technique from continuous skulling to short sharp big gulps with short breathers in between. It worked well, and despite feeling rough managed 45.0 seconds.

Don't like to say it but that's a disappointing session. Your pace seriously slowed which to shows to me that you made the classic mistake of starting out too fast.

Having secure a podium position in my debut last year, I think I can throw around advice and basically talk down the competition. Take it slowly and don't embarrass yourself :D........

Don't like to say it but that's a disappointing session. Your pace seriously slowed which to shows to me that you made the classic mistake of starting out too fast.

Having secure a podium position in my debut last year, I think I can throw around advice and basically talk down the competition. Take it slowly and don't embarrass yourself :D........

Haha, I think everyone slows as the beers go on.

Happy with the session. I'm not a fast drinker. I'm also not a fast miler. My strength is in the holding of my drink and not dying too much on beers 3 and 4, relative to others. I expect somewhere between 8-9 minutes.

I have been in training for the wrong event!

I would hope we are all running!!

I assume you mean Beer+Run sessions though. I used to always do a beer 800 and beer 1200 session before each beer mile in Oz. But the timing of the beer miles there suited as I was in the off season for it, or just before the track season started so it never interfered with my normal training. Also the club who owned the track we used were dead sound about us using the track for beer mile sessions, as long as the kids didn't see such tomfoolery. Here however they are so anal with tracks (not that there are many). There's the possibility I may head out to Marlay Park after my gym session on Thursday, but the fear of getting seen in broad daylight may be too much so I might stick to beer only sessions given all of the above.

Unless TRR has friends in high places in Tallaght and can book the track for a session.

Oh, make sure to do your sessions on a empty stomach.

Yeah - I did mean beer/run training :pac: Can't believe you a looking for a track to do this training - a certain trio from around here once did this training doing runs around the block from their house - I think they may have moved soon afterwards though. Meno might have more details on that one ;):p

Yeah - I did mean beer/run training :pac: Can't believe you a looking for a track to do this training - a certain trio from around here once did this training doing runs around the block from their house - I think they may have moved soon afterwards though. Meno might have more details on that one ;):p

Lots of big talk (and stalking) there kit. I take it we will be seeing you next week?
    How has your training been going?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Lots of big talk (and stalking) there kit. I take it we will be seeing you next week?
    How has your training been going?

No stalking - it was well reported on a log at the time :) No idea if ye'll see me next week - hardly know what I'm doing tomorrow - Have to see what the rst of the house is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jharris501

All the best for the upcoming event! I posted a quick little youtube clip to wish you all well. Apart from tips that I've given before, an extra 1 percenter that I've been testing is to try to expand the gut leading up to the event to fit more in! This could be by drinking water, beer, soft drink or by eating as much as possible and then drinking beers.

Also, a big thanks to the guys who have supported my go fund me page to get me to World Uni Games in South Korea next month and to the Beer Mile World Classic in San Fran! Really appreciate it. Look out for a time well under 5 mins from me after World Uni's! gofundme.com/JOSHHARRIS

Hope the link to the vid works (excuse the Ice Cream I dropped on my jacket ;) : All the best!

Josh Harris

That's it, I'm Inspired.
    I'm off to buy another 6 pack of moosehead :)

See, this is what the Beer Mile is all about. Former WR holders coming onto a forum to wish his fans the best of luck. Wouldn't see it in any other discipline. Vive la Beer Mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Ok so just so we can get an idea of numbers, here's the list I have so far

adrian522
    DogSlySmile
    the dune
    razor12345
    simonw
    MaggotBrain
    Oregano_State
    Chivito
    Meno
    TRR
    dublin_runner
    thirstywork2
    davedanon
    pacing_mule
    yaboya
    RedRunner (now injured?)
    Dubgal72 (competing or helping?)
    DrQ* (if he hasn't been lynched)
    shels4ever (unconfirmed)
    eldiva (unconfirmed)
    Quest1 (SC)

Have i missed anyone? Krusty/Kiely? Are you two in this year? We will even allow you two lovers to hold hands while you compete!

In terms of helpers we have
    dublin_runner's lady friend. Although judging by her taste in men, she should not be trusted ;)
    Hannibal Smith
    Bunny Girl (supplying hugs and breakfast rolls apparently)

ultraman1 has kindly supplied some race entries for Donadea 5k and 10k (2 each, so they are up for grabs for top finishers). There is also an entry for the Donadea 50k which will be awarded to the last finisher and they must complete the 50k in Feb ;)

There is also an entry for the Donadea 50k which will be awarded to the last finisher and they must complete the 50k in Feb ;)

WaPWW5R.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Have i missed anyone? Krusty/Kiely? Are you two in this year? We will even allow you two lovers to hold hands while you compete!

We haven't decided yet. If we can find someone to mind the kids then we should make it. As you can imagine, we've been very busy with preparations since the recent referendum result.

I hope to make it but there's no timetable for the Le Chéile meet yet so will have to see how feasible it is once that is published. Running a decent 1500 is top priority but if I could do both then that would be pretty sweet. Of course, I'll be in town for the banter and the drinks in all circumstances :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm in the same boat as KU, waiting for the IMC timetable, hoping to make it definitely, I know there is a sub 60 last lap in me this year haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I could be meeting a friend home for the weekend but if not I might head over with "bunny" girl and help out

Advertisement