Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Beer Mile 2015, June 13th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I could be meeting a friend home for the weekend but if not I might head over with "bunny" girl and help out

Or you could bring your friend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Ok so just so we can get an idea of numbers, here's the list I have so far

adrian522
    DogSlySmile
    the dune
    razor12345
    simonw
    MaggotBrain
    Oregano_State
    Chivito
    Meno
    TRR
    dublin_runner
    thirstywork2
    davedanon
    pacing_mule
    yaboya
    RedRunner (now injured?)
    Dubgal72 (competing or helping?)
    DrQ* (if he hasn't been lynched)
    shels4ever (unconfirmed)
    eldiva (unconfirmed)
    Quest1 (SC)
    emeraldjava

Now I just need to figure out

a - how I'm going to get there
    b - what choice of beer i'm going to use
    c - how I'm going to get home

just like any night out really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Or you could bring your friend :)

That's one option alright. The other is not to subject her to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Ok so just so we can get an idea of numbers, here's the list I have so far

adrian522
    DogSlySmile
    the dune
    razor12345
    simonw
    MaggotBrain
    Oregano_State
    Chivito
    Meno
    TRR
    dublin_runner
    thirstywork2
    davedanon
    pacing_mule
    yaboya
    RedRunner (now injured?)
    Dubgal72 (competing or helping?)
    DrQ* (if he hasn't been lynched)
    shels4ever (unconfirmed)
    eldiva (unconfirmed)
    Quest1 (SC)

Yep I'm out with injury unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

ultraman1 has kindly supplied some race entries for Donadea 5k and 10k (2 each, so they are up for grabs for top finishers). There is also an entry for the Donadea 50k which will be awarded to the last finisher and they must complete the 50k in Feb ;)

"Accidental" penalty lap for me so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Reckon there could be a bit of a race for last (not referring to myself in case I cause confusion :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

You'll still do well to finish behind last year's back marker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have i missed anyone? Krusty/Kiely? Are you two in this year? We will even allow you two lovers to hold hands while you compete!
    Having taken silver and bronze over the two previous years, there was only ever one outcome to competing this year. The result was clearly inevitable, so what's the point in competing?! Unfortunate timing issue this year. 6 months of training comes to an end this weekend, so I've got to try and use all of that training for something constructive, before I focus on the destructive. If it had been two weeks later, I'd have been all over it (but I think TRR knew that when he scheduled the race. ;)).

I'll be there anyway, to hold back KU's hair during the post-race chunder and capture the inevitable meno frothiness on camera if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

yaboya1 wrote: »

Oh crap yeah.. Just looked up last years results. I'll have to pull a 16:00 minute beer mile out of the bag to have any chance of finishing last. I am still coming back from a three month lay-off so maybe I better take it easy and just walk this one... :cool:

I'm in. No idea what to expect but sure, I'll give it a lash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

yaboya1 wrote: »

Was it running fitness or beer drinking prowess that he fell short on ? Presume penalty lap came into play too !?

I'll be there anyway, to hold back KU's hair during the post-race chunder and capture the inevitable meno frothiness on camera if needed.

Great stuff, so you are happy to be camera person for the day? Ecoli is not doinf it this yer so we should be finished under the hour ;)
    Oh crap yeah.. Just looked up last years results. I'll have to pull a 16:00 minute beer mile out of the bag to have any chance of finishing last. I am still coming back from a three month lay-off so maybe I better take it easy and just walk this one... :cool:

Regards the race entries/prizes how about 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th get to chose which entry they want. The person with the quickest last lap gets the remaining entry.

I'm off to Dunnes at lunch to purchase some of that moose head ****e! Taper madness has commenced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Just to clear up the constant confusion surrounding the penalty lap:

1) you only do 1 penalty lap, regardless of how often you spew. So if you are the type to throw up 3-4 times, this is great value, as opposed to those who puke just once.

2) penalty lap is to be completed at the end of the race, after you have completed 4 beers, and 4 regulation laps. Penalty laps are not to be done mid race, to build up a bigger gap between beers. This is against the rules.

Just looking back at the original post I stuck up. Start time was stated as 6pm! Ireland are playing Scotland at 5pm so if people wanted to watch this we'd have to go with a 7.30pm start. What's the general consensus? Personally I don't care about the football and would prefer the earlier evening start but 7.30pm works for me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

There are prizes this year ?:) , Was going to pussy out of it this year but might now need to rethink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Was it running fitness or beer drinking prowess that he fell short on ? Presume penalty lap came into play too !?

No penalty lap.

The pure difficulty of trying to get 4 beers down the hatch in such a short space of time while running was his undoing. The video captures it all. I underestimated it myself tbh, but this year I've put in some specific training.

Morale of the story (much like the marathon): Don't underestimate the beer mile folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just looking back at the original post I stuck up. Start time was stated as 6pm! Ireland are playing Scotland at 5pm so if people wanted to watch this we'd have to go with a 7.30pm start. What's the general consensus? Personally I don't care about the football and would prefer the earlier evening start but 7.30pm works for me too!

I think 7:30pm works fine; we should be in town before 9 and we can catch the match before the race (warmup beers in the Horse and Hound anyone?). You'll be well buzzed after necking 4 beers anyway.

Also 7;30 gives the track fairies a better chance of making the beermile and an added advantage is that the Sonia 5k is on at the same time so hopefully the local athletics fans will be down in DunLaoghaire watching that.

Maybe get a mod to change the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Count me in for this, it should be great fun although I've been concentrating more on the beer side recently, need to do some speed work this week!

I thought it had been moved to 7:30??

If it's 6pm I won't be able to make it from Leixlip in time.

Chivito550 wrote: »

I think everyone was working off the 7.30 assumption
    Grand, 7.30 it is!!

• Advertisement

so..............anyone heading in from the santry/glasnevin area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great stuff, so you are happy to be camera person for the day? Ecoli is not doinf it this yer so we should be finished under the hour ;)
    Yup, not a bother. May also be able to help out with lifts, if anyone's coming from the LUAS, DART or Fox and Hound (strange forms of transport!).

Anybody planning any beer/run combo sessions? Want to try one myself but worried about getting seen in broad daylight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anybody planning any beer/run combo sessions? Want to try one myself but worried about getting seen in broad daylight.

Man the f7ck up, the beermile is too serious to sacrifice training because of petty issues as such. If your really concerned dig out a Nike trackie and set of airmax and go to tallaght, nobody will bat an eyelid ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Timmaay wrote: »
    Man the f7ck up, the beermile is too serious to sacrifice training because of petty issues as such. If your really concerned dig out a Nike trackie and set of airmax and go to tallaght, nobody will bat an eyelid ha.

Not with a poncy beer like Moosehead. He'd get f*cking killed. Dutch Gold at a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

Chivito - am heading from Leixlip myself - whats the best way to get there ? Or meet you in Leixlip & travel across together ? Cheers

Ron Gomall wrote: »
    Chivito - am heading from Leixlip myself - whats the best way to get there ? Or meet you in Leixlip & travel across together ? Cheers

I'll probably be getting a lift home from Leixlip first if one of my training partners races IMC too. But best way is to jump on the train. Station is right by the track. Think it goes to Heuston. Red Line to city centre, then green line or bus (145?) out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I would love to join in the madness but probably won't know till saturday afternoon if I will make it. I live fairly close to the 'stadium' so hopefully will but don't put me down as a definite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I went out to the off license to get some Moosehead, came home with one of these. Heard great things but I'd never seen it anywhere.

lagunitas_cappuccino_stout_.gif

My moosehead trianing may have to wait a while.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    I went out to the off license to get some Moosehead, came home with one of these. Heard great things but I'd never seen it anywhere.

lagunitas_cappuccino_stout_.gif

My moosehead trianing may have to wait a while.

On behalf of all of us (maybe just me) who hate hipster craft beers, may I say feck off! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

I'll probably be getting a lift home from Leixlip first if one of my training partners races IMC too. But best way is to jump on the train. Station is right by the track. Think it goes to Heuston. Red Line to city centre, then green line or bus (145?) out.

Thanks, am doing a "beer agreed " Hell n Back 12km the morning so wont be doing a fast time but still good to get my first Beer mile out of the way... May show up in fancy dress for the craic, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Had a warm up session tonight, 3 beers, 30secs recovery, and I learned I will not be breaking any records on Sat and Moosehead isn't the mae west

38secs/41secs/51secs

Well decided to give up the ticket for the same on Saturday and do this race. Haven't run faster than a 10 minute mile for a long time so think this could be an interesting event.
    Need to get a few bottles of moose head today to reacquaint myself.

Sales of Moosehead must be showing a spike around now - wonder how many beer miles it will take for them to notice the trend :rolleyes:

kit3 wrote: »
    Sales of Moosehead must be showing a spike around now - wonder how many beer miles it will take for them to notice the trend :rolleyes:
    official sponsor and prizes maybe ;)

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    official sponsor and prizes maybe ;)

Worth a shot :) although you'd better not tell them why most people are choosing it !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

As long as the prizes don't involve more Moosehead I'm fine with that.

My local offie has been sold out for the last week :eek:

Just back from Dunnes Stores, was thinking the exact same myself as I was buying 6 bottle of moose piss!

With all the moosehead on the track on Saturday, should we be taking measures to mark our own bottles? What happens if someone drinks one of yours, do you just nick one of someone else's bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

H'okay, so I'm thinking about throwing my hat into the ring for this.

How crazy would I be to attempt it with no chug and run practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

On behalf of all of us (maybe just me) who hate hipster craft beers, may I say feck off! :)
    That's a bit like saying you only like instant coffee and that the real stuff has too much flavour! Now pass me that blueberry, agave, spiced raspberry IPA.

Toulouse wrote: »
    H'okay, so I'm thinking about throwing my hat into the ring for this.

How crazy would I be to attempt it with no chug and run practice?

Only one way to find out :)

I'd imagine very few people do any 'chug and run' training. The few that do any training mostly limit it to chugging.

So is it going to be all Moosehead on Saturday?

I saw a viable alternative in the offie yesterday, Brooklyn Summer ale, 5% and 355ml, decent beer. Only problem was they only had 2 cans at the time.

I currently have 8 mooseheads so probably just going with those.

So is it going to be all Moosehead on Saturday?

I saw a viable alternative in the offie yesterday, Brooklyn Summer ale, 5% and 355ml, decent beer. Only problem was they only had 2 cans at the time.

I currently have 8 mooseheads so probably just going with those.

Myself and KC had that summerale last year. Lovely beer and just as easy to chug as Moosehead IMO, but it really is an expensive waste of a nice beer. It's more of a beer to sup on.

BTW Brooklyn Lager (cans and bottles available) is also an option. Ditto Sierra Nevada. Cans are slightly easier to open than bottles too which might save you a few seconds.

That's a bit like saying you only like instant coffee and that the real stuff has too much flavour! Now pass me that blueberry, agave, spiced raspberry IPA.

I suppose you like ethically sourced coffee beans, grown on organic Kenyan goats turd from the great Rift valley served in a hand made cup produced by a fixie cycling bearded, tight jeans wearing, ironic hipster bastard?

They really need to reopen that rant thread!

I suppose you like ethically sourced coffee beans, grown on organic Kenyan goats turd from the great Rift valley served in a hand made cup produced by a fixie cycling bearded, tight jeans wearing, ironic hipster bastard?

Ah Jaysus Turd, surely his parentage makes no difference !

+1 for the rant thread ;)

It doesn't need to be ethically sourced. The rest is more or less the way it needs to be though.

It doesn't need to be ethically sourced. The rest is more or less the way it needs to be though.

bastard!

bastard!

So, who or what rattled your cage this fine day - Moosehead hangover ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement