Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone growing food

Options
  • 09-04-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭

I have raspberry's, gooseberry's, blackcurrants and strawberry's in the garden as well as scallions and I am plating tomatoes and lettuces today. I have make yogurt in a flask and have make wine, beer and homemade raspberry and blackcurrant liquors.

Thing is I am sure if you took all the effort in to account it would be cheaper to get it in the supermarket, but you would never get the same satisfaction form buying it as from growing it.

I would love to make homemade cheese and salami as well haven't got around to that yet.

Anyone else doing the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I have some strawberry beds that produce lovely strawberrys every year. Just 4 or 5 a day for about 3 weeks in June....but yummy.
    The good thing about growing strawberrys is that they need minimal effort to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Spuds, lettuce, early yorks, cauliflower, sprouts, gooseberries, blackcurrants, strawberries and apples( never managed to eat any, the dog always gets them first), tomatoes and peas. All the peas actually, had to buy an extra freezer to hold them all last year.

Oh, and nearly forgot the rhubarb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

End of the month it'll be time for planting a few spuds...carrots, broccoli, lettuce, onions and a bit later a few cherry tomatoes. A small patch, easy to grow and
    look after. Wouldn't feed the masses but nice to eat your own produce and a bit of a passtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Trying to get my allotment keys, but the feckers are all 'yeah, we hope to be ready to open soon'. Meanwhile all that's growing there is a lovely crop of weeds :(

Trying to grow in my garden is impossible with the dogs; they either eat everything or sleep on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Apples, Strawberries and Raspberries. Also truing Chilis this year ( Patio Door with loads of sunshine)

Never know what to do with all the apples. The rest all gratefully eaten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I often wonder if something happened in the world would we in Ireland be able to grow enough food to feed ourselves, say everyone was given an acre of land how much food could you produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have raspberry's, gooseberry's, blackcurrants and strawberry's in the garden as well as scallions and I am plating tomatoes and lettuces today. I have make yogurt in a flask and have make wine, beer and homemade raspberry and blackcurrant liquors.

Thing is I am sure if you took all the effort in to account it would be cheaper to get it in the supermarket, but you would never get the same satisfaction form buying it as from growing it.

I would love to make homemade cheese and salami as well haven't got around to that yet.

Anyone else doing the same.

How did your wine turn out? Was it drinkable and what recipe did you use?

I often wonder if something happened in the world would we in Ireland be able to grow enough food to feed ourselves, say everyone was given an acre of land how much food could you produce.

I'd have thought you could feed a fair few people for a year off an acre. It's not too far of the size of a football pitch. Once it's well managed and with a bit of variety there there should be no problem. You'd have room for a few animals aswell although they'd need feeding too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just got a greenhouse so looking forward to red tomatoes this year! Have seeded brocolli, peppers, cucumbers, beetroot and others - have lots of herbs and will be planting onions and spuds this weekend - have blackcurrants, gooseberries and strawberries but had to build a special raised area for the strawberries because my dog snaffled them all last year!

Great weather for the garden this week - and yeah it does cost more to grow it yourself but it tastes finer knowing you've done it yourself. I will be cursing it all when the rain comes, the slugs take their share and the cabbage white is laying her eggs and the weeds...the weeds.

Yep, I'm growing these little beauties.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2djryw6.jpg

Can't wait till they grow ripe and plump for harvesting xxx

• Advertisement

:)
    TinCanMan wrote: »
    How did your wine turn out? Was it drinkable and what recipe did you use?

The gooseberry wine was interesting :) the beer and the liquors were very good. I also make sloe gin and was told it tasted like jagermister, to me it had a sight whiff of cough bottle but was nice to drink

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Trying to grow lasagne but it's harder than it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Carrots, Spring Onions, Lettuce, Raddish and Shallots.

Yep, I'm growing these little beauties.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2djryw6.jpg

Can't wait till they grow ripe and plump for harvesting xxx

Was walking up in Glencullen at the weekend, lots of lovely lambs frolicking about, my husband said how cute they looked in my mind eye I saw lovely tasty legs of lamb. I am not sentimental about how we get food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

just starting today... spring onions, lettuce, cabbage, rocket

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Moved from After Hours :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yes only cos I was given a poly tunnel. Spuds, Corn, assorted greens, tomatoes.
    I also inherited an orchard with gooseberries, rhubarb, raspberrys and blackcurrants as well as the apples.
    To be honest if i werent handed it like this I probably wouldnt bother as Im not convinced by the minimal price difference involved in starting from scratch as against buying them.
    Itsd fairly labour intensive as well and who has the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I grow my own strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, tomatoes, courgettes, carrots, peppers, spinach, lettuce, radishes and onions. It's nice that more people are getting into it. :) I've only had my own garden for a bit over a year, before that I grew tomatoes, strawberries, lettuce and courgette in pots on my balcony.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm growing rhubarb, herbs, cherry tomatoes (they're still on the windowsill until the end of May). I'll be growing beetroot as I do most years in order to make beetroot chutney. I bought courgette plants last week - they yield loads and I usually make courgette chutney with some of them. I have kale in the vegetable patch since the winter but it's going to seed now. I grow mixed lettuce every year too.
    I have a dwarf pear tree that produced tons of fruit last year, and I have a black elder so I might make elderberry cordial this year. Last year I bought two red gooseberry bushes and I don't know yet how much fruit they'll yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Not at the moment, the garden isn't really suitable right now. We're planning on levling it out, and then I will have some raised beds there again.

I'm planning on growing all the lovely things that can be so difficult to find in Ireland - summer squashes, broad beans, artichokes, daikon, might try my hand at white asparagus, jerusalem artichokes, waxy potatoes (Bemberger Hoernchen, a tribute to my home town).
    And some cherry trees.

The only things I've got at the moment are 3 plum trees (red plums and yellow ones), with last years harvest being turned into plum jams, plum chutneys, plum crumbles and last but by no means least a really yummy plum liqueur.
    And some loganberries, most of which ended up in jams as well.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    The only things I've got at the moment are 3 plum trees (red plums and yellow ones), with last years harvest being turned into plum jams, plum chutneys, plum crumbles and last but by no means least a really yummy plum liqueur.
    And some loganberries, most of which ended up in jams as well.

I forgot about the plum trees...4 or 5 of them out there from when I bought the site and with the exception of one year the branches can barely cope with the weight of them.

Plenty of blossoms on them at the moment and they'll be in full flower in a few days so it looks like another good harvest unless there is a late frost.

I eat a few, give away more and the rest go to waste. I always say I'll make jam and never do but I don't really eat jam anyway so not much incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Apples, Strawberries and Raspberries. Also truing Chilis this year ( Patio Door with loads of sunshine)

Never know what to do with all the apples. The rest all gratefully eaten
    I've been growing chillies for a few years. I'd get them planted ASAP as the year is getting on. Try to keep the seeds warm day and night until they get established. Also keep them away from the patio door at night until all danger of frost is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Alice1

I don't have a garden really, but would love to grow mustard leaves. I'm told you can grow then in a pot. Any advice please because I've never done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Alice1 wrote: »
    I don't have a garden really, but would love to grow mustard leaves. I'm told you can grow then in a pot. Any advice please because I've never done this?

Yes they grow very easily in trays - I just scatter the seeds thinly on some compost and cover lightly - if you're going to try mustard grow a tray of cress as well they make a lovely combination in a cheese sandwich and grow to picking size very quickly!

On a related point has anyone made salami and cheese at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

That's the wife's department - she grows it, I cook it. This year we have
      In the greenhouse
    • Tomatoes
    • Peppers - sweet and chili
    • Aubergines

In the beds
    • Leeks
    • Parsnips
    • Carrots
    • Onions (the variety she grows are delightfully pungent)
    • Garlic

In the garden
    • Raspberries
    • Blackcurrants
    • Redcurrants
    • Strawberries
    • Apples
    • Various herbs
    • Spuds (lumpers)
    • Pumpkins

I only just finished with the last of 2014's onions and still have some garlic left.

We also have 4 hens, which I look after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes!

Not as much as I'd like though, full time jobs etc.

Herbs
    I've got loads of herbs, into our edible herbs. Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Chives, Parsley, Bay, Lavender, Lemon Balm, couple of types of basil. All from cuttings or seeds. I use wild garlic as a herb as well, patch of that in the garden. Do a lot of things like chive pesto...

Edible Flowers
    I love edible flowers in salads and as decoration on desserts/cheese too, so pansy's, nastursiums, voilas and marigolds and other bits and pieces for that.

Nuts
    I've a couple of hazels, but hoping to increase in a few years from cuttings.

Fruit
    We've got two very old apple trees, the flavour isn't great to be honest for eating apples, but they are too stunning to chop down. Had a go at making cider last year, but didn't come to much. Better luck with chutneys and jams.
    Gooseberries, Blackberries (are a total weed, but they comes over our wall and we eat them), strawberries of course. We has raspberries in our last place, but I won't grow them again. Too invasive for me, I can't keep up with them.

Veg
    Spuds, onions and garlic are happily growing away. I've just put down some tomatos, I like the cherry varieties best. There's some beetroot that I pick the leaves off for salads, must pull them up at some stage. Peas are in my seed tray, hope to get them out soon. Various lettuces comes and go. I find veg very labour intensive to be honest, compared with everything else. Staking and thining and all the rest. So we don't do as much of it, because I don't have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have baby spinach started, last year it grew from April to late October, pumpkins and peppers started. We have apples, blueberries, raspberries and blackcurrents too. I plan to plant butternut squash (only got two squashes last year as I had to go away at a crucial time and the plants were half dead by the time I got back), peas, lettuce, shallots (delicious), leeks, and possibly carrots, although not had much success with them last two years.
    I'm in middle of building a stone raised veggie bed and need to get it done in the next week or two.
    Also have herbs growing.
    Hope to get a good crop in the new bed this year, I need a bigger garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

On a related point has anyone made salami and cheese at home?

I've done some paneer and some air dried and smoked sausages (which would fall into the definition of salami).

I'm not offering advice, but a good understanding of botulism and how to prevent it is, imo, a worthwhile thing to have if you are heading down the road of a bit of home made charcuterie.

Sourcing good quality casings is another issue - I bring mine back from the UK (in the car - there's no way you'd get something as smelly as good quality beef or sheep casings on a flght :) )

• Advertisement

I did look it up and it did say you have to buy a culture and a starter for the salami to make sure its cured properly and you don't end up poisoning you self.

Advertisement