Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wings for Life World Run, Dublin - May 3rd 2015

Options
  • 09-04-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done this race before? It looks interesting but not sure how it works? It says it's a 5k, 10k half or full marathon!? So we get all 4 options?

Info here: http://www.wingsforlifeworldrun.com/ie/en/dublin/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Essentially, it's a contest to see how far you can go, before the sweeper car (which starts 30 minutes after you do) catches up with you. Once it catches up, your race is over. So it's not a traditional-type race. If you want to participate, you can put in your estimated distance here, and it'll tell you how long you would have to get to that point before the sweeper car ends your race. So, for example, if i thought I could manage the marathon distance, I'd put 42kms in the predictor, and it tells me that I'd have to get to the 42km mark in 3:08, or else the sweeper car will have caught up with me (and my race would be over). The sweeper car is gradually accelerating. They do give you a lift back to the start once your race is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks! Are you going to do it?

That sounds really interesting. Deadline for sign up is April 26th. Going to give this serious consideration. Something fun/different. Good training too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh, this looks deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Have a look at the route, lots of climbing in the first 6 miles, Bullock Harbour, Colimore Harbour, Vico Road, flat....ish after that until you get to 9 miles then you have a long drag from the seafront in Bray to the Vevay Road and then......Windgates, otherwise known as the Greystones Road, the reward after that is a nice downhill to about half marathon distance. Just hope the weather is good on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I'm signed up. No idea how far I'll get. This time last year I would have been confident of getting marathon distance, but anything over a half marathon would now be good in my book. The course profile looks to have a couple of climbs which I'd say are designed to whittle down numbers as soon as possible. Add to that that it's all largely in one direction and you could have the wind in your face and it could be a tough day out. I suppose the wind could be with you though !

I think it's a really cool concept and a nice change to the usual racing fare. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Killerz wrote:
    I'm signed up. No idea how far I'll get. This time last year I would have been confident of getting marathon distance, but anything over a half marathon would now be good in my book. The course profile looks to have a couple of climbs which I'd say are designed to whittle down numbers as soon as possible. Add to that that it's all largely in one direction and you could have the wind in your face and it could be a tough day out. I suppose the wind could be with you though !

I think you're fine since you whizzed by me with a double buggy last month? Sure I'm hoping for HM distance and haven't ran that in months. Hadn't thought of wind direction so hopefully behind but unlikely. I think it's a great idea and Simon Zebo in the car! Yay.

aquinn wrote: »
    I think you're fine since you whizzed by me with a double buggy last month? Sure I'm hoping for HM distance and haven't ran that in months. Hadn't thought of wind direction so hopefully behind but unlikely. I think it's a great idea and Simon Zebo in the car! Yay.

Haha but I'm not allowed run with the buggy in this one ;)

Not sure I trust Simon zebo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I run along some of the coast there regularly enough and if it's the usual wind direction then the wind should be with you.
    Not guaranteed obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This could be the HM I'm looking for in the CCM run up. I like that all the entry fee appears to go to the WFL research fund. Interesting route too. Tempting!

Murph_D wrote:
    This could be the HM I'm looking for in the CCM run up. I like that all the entry fee appears to go to the WFL research fund. Interesting route too. Tempting!

I think full entry goes to spinal research? Come on D.

• Advertisement

Any more logistics-related info on this yet - like number/ chip pick up etc.? I haven't got anything in my emails (unless they've gone to spam!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Unfortunately, due to other commitments I'll have to skip it this time. A great pity as apart from the general novelty of it, it was a tough HM+ run in the making. Maybe next year!

Killerz wrote: »
    Any more logistics-related info on this yet - like number/ chip pick up etc.? I haven't got anything in my emails (unless they've gone to spam!).

Nothing about location of water stations either as far as I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Pink11 wrote: »
    Has anyone done this race before? It looks interesting but not sure how it works? It says it's a 5k, 10k half or full marathon!? So we get all 4 options?

Info here: http://www.wingsforlifeworldrun.com/ie/en/dublin/

I it this last year when it was held in Kerry. It was good fun. A couple of runners stopped at the 5k or 10k mark and waited for the chasing car to overtake them because that's all they wanted to run.

Most people just ran until they were caught.

It was very well organised and the entire fee goes to a worthwhile charity/research; I'm not able to run this year but I'm sorry to be missing it.

Killerz wrote: »
    frash wrote: »
    Nothing about location of water stations either as far as I can see

Water station every 5k - Red Bull also available :eek:

Race number came by email the other day
    BIB pickup is on the day before or the morning of

Details here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

mmm Start to Wicklow town (where I live) = marathon distance just over a k past my house. 7:15 pace to stay ahead of the sweeper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    mmm Start to Wicklow town (where I live) = marathon distance just over a k past my house. 7:15 pace to stay ahead of the sweeper :)

How could you not ??? Nearest you'll get to a true home marathon :)

I'm still deciding about this. See the Dart is disrupted now too so I can get there easily but not back?

Countdown till 12 is on. Someone convince me :D

By Train: You can travel by DART from Dublin to Dún Laoghaire. The journey offers spectacular views of Dublin Bay. The DART runs every 5 minutes during rush hour periods and every 20 mins during the day. Please note there will be no DART Northbound from Pearse Street on 3 May due to engineering works. Normal service will operate Southbound from Pearse Street to Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'm still deciding about this. See the Dart is disrupted now too so I can get there easily but not back?

Countdown till 12 is on. Someone convince me :D

DART back to Pearse St then stroll or bus. Simples :D. Convinced ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    DART back to Pearse St then stroll or bus. Simples :D. Convinced ?

More exercise??? hmmn, fancy a run on Sunday? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

More exercise??? hmmn, fancy a run on Sunday? :p

5K in Tallaght on Sunday. Probably about as far as I'd get before the sweeper car anyway :o

Not sure where I got the idea from but I thought buses followed the chase car & when full they'd return people to the start.

This is only the case after Greystones.
    Up to there you have to get the DART back.

I estimated I should get to half-way between Bray & Greystones before being caught but now I'm thinking I might just stop at Bray.

Just thought I'd mention it in case others hadn't realised.

Really? Where did you find that? I checked the website this morning and it did say it was different per location but didn't know any of this. No registration email either.
    So we run to Greystones anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

That's what it says now on the website. I did wonder if it was a change, since I hadn't seen it before but as I'm not running I haven't been paying attention to the detail. It says
    with DART and shuttle bus returns, you may have to walk a short distance
    I'd say it's rather more than a short distance if you were to get caught between Bray and Greystones

Now we've to run with money/leap card to get home? Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Not quite. Once you haul yourself to the station, you'll be brought back to the start for free
    Competitors will be provided with a complimentary ticket usable at the Dalkey, Killiney, Shankill, Bray and Greystones stations. On return competitors should exit the train at Sandycove/Glastule

Thanks, I hope the lifts are working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Ok just decided to give this a whirl as an alternative for my LSR which would probably overlap most of the route anyway!

Looks like it could be fun!

I see you can register on the day, between 9:00 and 11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Gutted I won't be in Dublin for this.

Love the idea.

Hope everyone has a great time. Looking forward to reading the race reports next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Red Bull available at drink stations...

Any experienced runners got opinions on this?
    Is it a good idea to be taking in fizzy drink mid run?

Advertisement