Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wings for Life World Run, Dublin - May 3rd 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

patg wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to be taking in fizzy drink mid run?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

patg wrote: »
    Red Bull available at drink stations...

Any experienced runners got opinions on this?
    Is it a good idea to be taking in fizzy drink mid run?

I drank 3 or 4 cups of this in last year's run. The first one gave me a real boost but that wasn't repeated with the other ones.

If you take them there is a chance that it may mess up your stomach, so proceed with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I collected my number for this today in Dun Laoghaire. Really nice friendly volunteers and the girl I spoke with said they are delighted to have 1,700 registered (they only had 700 last year in Ireland). Number collection is open till 8pm this evening and until 5pm (I think) tomorrow and also on Sunday morning. If anyone has any issues with collection just drop me a PM as I live just up the road.
    The much maligned DLR Lexicon is well worth a visit if you make it out tomorrow
    http://libraries.dlrcoco.ie/using-your-library/opening-hours

I've been out with injury so I'm planning on taking it easy and enjoying the scenery only as far as Killiney dart station.

Best of luck to all on Sunday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Won't be doing this, heading to Gowran the following day, but if anyone is planning on going >marathon distance let me know and expected time and I'll get the kids to stand around the corner with water and jellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Just reading on their website that once you've been caught you're provided with a complimentary Dart ticket to get you back to the start in Dun Laoghaire. Hmmm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Won't be doing this, heading to Gowran the following day, but if anyone is planning on going >marathon distance let me know and expected time and I'll get the kids to stand around the corner with water and jellies.

Thanks Beep, but if I make it that far, I won't be settling for anything less than a full Sunday roast!

PS I'd say your dinner is fairly safe! :D

wrstan wrote: »
    Thanks Beep, but if I make it that far, I won't be settling for anything less than a full Sunday roast!

PS I'd say your dinner is fairly safe! :D

Bring me some tasty venison and I'll have ready :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

State of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Just picked up my number.
    8 working there, mostly standing around while 1 was dealing with people at the desk.
    Queue out the door!

Badly organised from what I've seen so far but will hope for better tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

frash wrote: »
    Just picked up my number.
    8 working there, mostly standing around while 1 was dealing with people at the desk.
    Queue out the door!

Badly organised from what I've seen so far but will hope for better tomorrow.

I got there a bit earlier and was just the one girl on the desk too. Not much of a queue but the one person was fielding questions about the route, water stations in addition to giving out bibs. I'm just glad I got my stuff today - dunno what it will be like tomorrow morn!

On another note, do you know if they give us foil blankets or the like after the race tomorrow - could be hanging around in the cold for a bit, and obviously our gear will be back in dun laoghaire?

• Advertisement

Pack collection very quick. Weather to be better but into the wind. They want people at start area early for Dart tickets and warm up.

aquinn wrote: »
    Pack collection very quick. Weather to be better but into the wind. They want people at start area early for Dart tickets and warm up.

What is the plan with DART tickets?
    I assumed they'd have people at the stations handing out tickets to people.

Do we need to get them before the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'm doing this tomorrow, been out of action since connemara as my ankle was at me. No specific goal in mind, I'm really just testing the legs for Belfast on Monday.

We can still collect numbers in the morning I take it?

No I think she said beforehand as I couldn't understand why they wanted everyone in place at 11.15 so she said for Dart, warm up and as it's organised by Austrians it's starting on time. You also pick your pen. I thought it would be assigned from time given and so on bib.

Oh yes you can register and collect in the morning.

No I think she said beforehand as I couldn't understand why they wanted everyone in place at 11.15 so she said for Dart, warm up and as it's organised by Austrians it's starting on time. You also pick your pen. I thought it would be assigned from time given and so on bib.

Oh yes you can register and collect in the morning.

So are they handing out DART tickets as you enter the pens then or do we need to queue somewhere for them?
    I should have asked them yesterday when picking up bib but assumed ticket was in the bag already.
    Might just bring a fiver with me just in case it's all a disaster down there later.

Thirstywork leads the field at bray. Killerz in top 10 and claralara lead lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Claralara just on setanta a few mins ago!

Claralara just on setanta a few mins ago!

She won it!

A few pics either side of Wicklow.
    TW in joint 2nd, both of them looking forward to the sweeper catching them :), only 5 left just before the 42k mark.

I ran to Wicklow! Delighted.
    A great race. Some hills though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, seems a weird race, how far did you run in the end?

It was great. Was wishing the car would hurry and take me out. Did about 17km so just before Greystones. Nasty climb after Bray and before Greystones. My last 2 miles I'd say were my fastest as finally made it over the hill.

Also the added bonus of time with MS. Always a joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

It was great. Was wishing the car would hurry and take me out. Did about 17km so just before Greystones. Nasty climb after Bray and before Greystones. My last 2 miles I'd say were my fastest as finally made it over the hill.

Also the added bonus of time with MS. Always a joy.

Well done A! That's a super run! It was great to spend some time with you for the first couple of miles. I'm delighted you had such a super day.
    Despite planning on stoping at Killiney I ran to Bray, it was just so much fun:)
    The local support was fab.
    Well done to all who ran and supported.
    The Wings for Life website is well worth checking out, amazing stats from around the world.
    Special super congrats to Orna, wonderful photos on the WFL Facebook page of her with a very well deserved trophy:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Well done all. Looked deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

A really enjoyable experience - 6th place and something shy of 40k for me, in just over 3 hours. Waiting for the confirmed results, whenever they put those up! Delighted with that all things considered and had nothing left - suffered from cramps over the last 5k or so.

Would recommend this to all. We got lucky with the weather in the end too (although I am a bit sunburnt!). Tough course - relentless hills!

Thanks to the boardsies for the shout outs along the way and most importantly, congrats to Claralara on her victory and thirstywork on a serious performance too!

Edit: seems on the official results I was 7th, with 39.77km done. One of the finishers ahead of me must have got a lift home when caught as I don't think they were on the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jimjamkk06

are the results up or will it be tomorrow anyone no????

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Tough course and a little bit of sun burn. But I really enjoyed it. Made it to 33k which was a lot farther than I expected. The bus back seemed to take forever. It's just nice to do something a little different.
    Thanks Meno for the encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

jimjamkk06 wrote: »
    are the results up or will it be tomorrow anyone no????

The results are up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The Officer

Dublin was the 3rd toughest course out of the 35 global events according to the organisers!

• Advertisement

19.64km! I'm delighted.
    Well done on 30km and beyond, brilliant.
    See thirstywork is in the global roundup video. Deadly shot as hugging fellow runner.

Advertisement