Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Robin Hedge

• 09-04-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking to plant a red robin hedge along the picket fence at the front of my house. Would be a right angled hedge about 20ft by 20 ft. I was reading that they should be planted about 2 feet apart. B and Q had potted red robins, about 2 feet high for a tenner each but obviously if i need 20 of them this would be rather expensive. Anyone know any good nusery's in the midlands?

Also is it ok to plant this time of year or am i too late?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Looking to plant a red robin hedge along the picket fence at the front of my house. Would be a right angled hedge about 20ft by 20 ft. I was reading that they should be planted about 2 feet apart. B and Q had potted red robins, about 2 feet high for a tenner each but obviously if i need 20 of them this would be rather expensive. Anyone know any good nusery's in the midlands?

ww.gardens4you.ie have 5 red robin plants for €15 .. got 50 myself a few weeks ago and have them planted ..it was a lot wetter then though ... I'm keeping then we'll watered this weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Unless you're in a mad rush, Red Robins are quite vigorous and fast growing, why not plant 2 L plants ( cost c € 3.00 - 4.00 ea) every 0.6m and they will double + in size every year.

Important to trim regularly to keep dense, otherwise plants have a tendency to open out and conspicuous and unsightly gaps are inevitable.

IMO a better option would be Viburnum Tinus!

Advertisement