Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth to upgrade a lga 775?

Options
  • 09-04-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all.
    I'm a newbie to Boards this is my first post.
    Hope you can help me with my question.

Right to the point.
    About a year ago I bought a used Dell Optiplex 755 for €100.
    The main reason I bought it was to learn about computer hardware and upgrade it a bit as I did not want to spend a lot of money because I'm 12.
    The Specs were
    CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
    Ram- 6GB DDR2 800MHZ
    Mobo- Dell 0GM819 Q35 Chipset
    GPU - Nvida Quadro FX370
    PSU - Dell 305W
    HDD - 1TB Hitachi

I then upgraded it to
    CPU- Xeon X3230
    Ram - 8GB DDR2 800MHz
    GPU _ Asus GT 610 2GB (Was not for gaming just for HD quality and duel monitor support)
    And added a extra 80GB HDD that I picked up for €3

I've been looking round on donedeal and adverts for upgrades
    and have found many GPU's & lga 775 motherboards.
    For around €250 I could upgrade to a Asus Striker II Extreme Motherboard (Which supports 3-Way SLi) and also get a Asus GTX 680 2GB

Would It be worth it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I doubt that a standard 775 motherboard will fit inside of the dell case, As far as i know the mounting points are different. Also if you need to upgrade the Psu for the new graphics card that won't be possible unless you get one from Dell which will be expensive.

You'd be best off moving to a new case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

LGA775 is a long dead socket. There is no point investing money in it from a gaming point of view whatsoever. With just a 100 euro card like a GTX750 you'd be able to play some stuff like Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Shadow of Mordor, but other types of games like Hardline, BF4, Assassins Creed etc would be unplayable.

Easiest thing to do is just sell it and start new, nothing in that build will cross over to a new gaming build.

Second hand 2nd gen i5 based office machines sell for about 200 these days so it doesn't need to be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Brianconway_

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't think I'm going to bother upgrading I might as well just save my money for a newer build.
    Thanks again
    Brian

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Fair play for a 12 yr old. Keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The only thing worth buying is a SSD. You'd be able to use that in your new system and it would give the old system a boost.

• Advertisement

That's a good idea beauf. Will consider that. I think my current computer has Sata II 3/Gbs so it should run fine.
    Thanks!

Best thing I ever bought for a pc.

Btw why the switch from the q6700 to the xeon they seem the same on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

beauf wrote: »

Pretty sure Brian said he switched from an E6700 dual core not a Q6700.

Ah my bad. The Xeon and Q6700 the same then.

beauf wrote: »
    Best thing I ever bought for a pc.

duridian wrote: »
    Pretty sure Brian said he switched from an E6700 dual core not a Q6700.

Yeah Duridian's right I upgraded from a Core 2 Duo e6700 to a Xeon X3230.
    The Xeon and the core 2 quad are the same on paper but I opted for the xeon because it was only another 3euro and seemed to get better scores on benchmarks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Well done to you lad!
    I hope you get lots of fun out of the experience ;)

I wondered what you might be doing with that machine that encouraged you to get 8GB RAM?

For some extra experience I suggest you have a look at some Linux operating systems.

They are great to play with and give you extra familiarity with computer workings.

Have fun!

Well done to you lad!
    I hope you get lots of fun out of the experience ;)

I wondered what you might be doing with that machine that encouraged you to get 8GB RAM?

For some extra experience I suggest you have a look at some Linux operating systems.

They are great to play with and give you extra familiarity with computer workings.

Have fun!

Thanks!
    At the time I was upgrading the PC I had a huge interest in Video & photo editing and thought I might need 8GB of ram.
    I'm looked at some Linux OS's, Ubuntu is my favorite!
    I've extremely happy I bought the computer at the start because the amount I've learned from the experience is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks!
    At the time I was upgrading the PC I had a huge interest in Video & photo editing and thought I might need 8GB of ram.
    I'm looked at some Linux OS's, Ubuntu is my favorite!
    I've extremely happy I bought the computer at the start because the amount I've learned from the experience is amazing!

Try as many different Linux distros as you can.
    Different ones suit different people's taste.

Two I suggest you try are

Linux Mint
    PCLinuxOS .... I use this one. There are different 'flavours' of it available.
    Here is a link to the ISOs in case it is of interest
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/

As you will see there are ISOs of different sizes and with different desktop environments.
    The size is usually determined by the amount of software included. The 'mini' versions have very little included, so the user can install only what they want.
    There is a very suitable and user friendly forum at
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php

Even if you try that, don't forget to try others too ..... like Mageia, Suse etc. ;)

Lots of alternatives to make your own choice ;)

EDIT:
    If you interested in learning about Linux here is a free course you can take on line
    https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-2

For certification you would have to pay .... but it is the same course. :)

Thanks, I will defenity try them. I've only been on Boards for 3-4 days and I love it because everyone is so nice and helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You could still go for a 750ti and an SSD with your current system if you wanted to upgrade. You might be bottle necked by the CPU on certain games as mentioned but overall you should get a good performance improvement.

The SSD won't run at full speed on SATA2 either but it will still give you much higher speeds than a HDD. Great for the OS and smaller programs.

Those 2 parts can easily be transferred to a new build when you get around to it.

BloodBath wrote:
    Those 2 parts can easily be transferred to a new build when you get around to it.

BloodBath wrote:
    The SSD won't run at full speed on SATA2 either but it will still give you much higher speeds than a HDD. Great for the OS and smaller programs.

BloodBath wrote:
    You could still go for a 750ti and an SSD with your current system if you wanted to upgrade. You might be bottle necked by the CPU on certain games as mentioned but overall you should get a good performance improvement.

Yeah. Thats a good idea. Thanks.

I'm going to sell the PC. What do you think would be a good price? Thanks in advance. Brian

Advertisement