Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 day old build - power drops when gaming

Options
  • 09-04-2015 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Put a new build together yesterday.

Specs are as follows

Mod 1150 ASUS Z97-A
    Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970
    32gb hyper fury x ddr3
    128gb fury x SSD
    750 akasa venom PSU
    intel stock cooler. (ordered a watercooler, but got a 140mm instead of a 120mm....)

Anyway, build went fine, it's in an Aerocool GT-A case.

Installed windows fine, setup a few games.

After about 2 hours gaming, checked CPU-Z and GPU-Z.
    Temps are as follows.

CPU idle
    31*C
    CPU under load
    65*C

GPU idle
    25*C
    GPU under load
    55*C

All well within acceptable limits.

No overclock done. everything is at stock levels.

Power dropped on it during gaming, and Asus power surge protection kicked in and shutdown with an error.
    Rebooted, spent a good hour stripping it down and re-building it.

Same again after an hour gaming.

Ran OCCT for an hour. no issues.
    Gaming again, same issue.

Turned off the Asus power surge protection, incase it was a false positive.
    Gaming again, 2 hours later, same issue. PC shuts down and re-boots.

It's looking more and more like either a faulty PSU or an issue with power regulation.

Anyone got any info on this, any thoughts, suggestions etc?

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Going to move the PC later when I finish work to see if it's a possible wiring issue where it's located, but I have an iMac here and that's fine. Previous PC was here too and no issues there.

Unfortunately, the PSU from my other PC is only a 500w so I don't know if it would power the new build safely.

Think I'll take the new PSU out and see how it performs on the old PC over the weekend?

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

500w is more than enough for the setup assuming it's any sort of half decent brand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I was immediately suspicious of the 750W Akasa Venom PSU when I read through your OP, RoyalMarine.

But after reading the reviews of this PSU on Amazon, I would nearly bet my last quid on it being the culprit. 3 out of the 7 reviewers describe problems not a million miles away from what you have described.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-PA075AM01-VenomPower-Modular-Supply/dp/B006OZCYU4

awesome.

Going to swap out for my 500w corsair and send this one back for a refund. Will put a few euro more into something more reliable.

Thanks guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's actually no need really, get your refund and stick with the 500, unless you plan adding a second card. It's plenty.

• Advertisement

the old one doesn't seem to support my GPU :(

Scheduled courier to collect the faulty one. Went to PC world and picked up a CX750 yesterday evening. The GF treated me :)

Working perfect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Yeah I'd be wary of the PSU too. I tend to go by this guide when buying PSU's http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Advertisement