Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep handling race

• 09-04-2015 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Going investing in a basic sheep handling race. Any recommendations about who make good units. Thanks !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Iae make the best stuff by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Have used both IAE and Cormac in tuam and not much difference in either, I bought a 2 way drafting gate , 2 5ft sheeted gates, 2 8f sliding gates and 2 8ft gates which can all link together, I can easily move it around fields and find it a god send. Not a week goes by I'm not using them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

razor8 wrote: »
    Have used both IAE and Cormac in tuam and not much difference in either, I bought a 2 way drafting gate , 2 5ft sheeted gates, 2 8f sliding gates and 2 8ft gates which can all link together, I can easily move it around fields and find it a god send. Not a week goes by I'm not using them

Razor, roughly what kind of money are looking at for a similar set up? Thanks, Mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Going investing in a basic sheep handling race. Any recommendations about who make good units. Thanks !!!

If you can afford & justify it buy Prattley and build it over time, otherwise the sheepeze stuff is good. These are mainly mobile suppliers, iae does good fixed stuff

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Razor, roughly what kind of money are looking at for a similar set up? Thanks, Mac

Il check out what I paid tomorrow, as cran says above prattley are the rolls Royce but need a big flock to justify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gazahayes

I bought a Stanley race 4 8 foot gates a 2 way drafting gate and a guillotine gate and a u to keep the race even along for less than 800 can't remember exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ulleJ1

Will there be a grant for this.... there's no grant at the moment, anyone know if it will be reintroduced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ulleJ1 wrote: »
    Will there be a grant for this.... there's no grant at the moment, anyone know if it will be reintroduced?

There is some sheep Equipment covered in the safety grant which is still open

Thanks ganmo,

do you know when the closing date is for this?
    It says Jan the 9th on the department website but has it been extended do you know?

ulleJ1 wrote: »
    Thanks ganmo,

do you know when the closing date is for this?
    It says Jan the 9th on the department website but has it been extended do you know?
    woops forgot so much of this year was gone already!
    sorry looks like its closed

sheep tams is ment to be opening up again though...when, million dollar question

• Advertisement

Ah well ... Ill get it next time round hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

r u going fixed or mobile?
    how tight is the budget?
    buy good solid hurdles and if you are any way handy with a welder make your own gates and U frames (these tend to be the most over priced components)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Got a budget of €880. It's under the farm safety grant so the department will reimburse 40% . got approved for some penning, so will buy some also.

Anybody get some sheep equipment from o'donnell engineering in limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

their kit would be well made, however i would be wary of their design in places

the head lock gate on their adaption crate is a joke, I know a fellow who had their roll over cradle and wasn't happy

stanleys in laois are sheep farmers their selves & imo and any design flaws are rectified

not cheap though but will last a life time

You wouldn't know who sells iae stuff, I googled it but only found a manufacturer in England. Is that the right crowd ? I have a good bit of cormac stuff and like it , but I notice some of my gates have hairline cracks on the welds ? Anyone else notice this ? I'll have a look at the sheepeeze stuff as well. It seems well put together. It's the basic fixed race and penning I'm after.

You wouldn't know who sells iae stuff, I googled it but only found a manufacturer in England. Is that the right crowd ? I have a good bit of cormac stuff and like it , but I notice some of my gates have hairline cracks on the welds ? Anyone else notice this ? I'll have a look at the sheepeeze stuff as well. It seems well put together. It's the basic fixed race and penning I'm after.

o'donovans i think, same guys that have the pratley

Thanks ganmo, had a look at the IAE website again. I'm more swayed towards the ones held together with a pen that bit better then the loop top and bottom ones. Find they can come apart when on uneven ground.

Just looking at the sheepeze race. Anyone any experience of using their drafting gates with the long handle that you stand back 10 ft from ? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but want to get it right as once it's bought, I'll hope to be living with it for the next 20 years+ :o

Thanks ganmo, had a look at the website again. It's just me but I like the ones held together with a pen that bit better then the loop top and bottom ones. Find they can come apart when on uneven ground.

Just looking at the sheepeze race. Anyone any experience of using their drafting gates with the long handle that you stand back 10 ft from ? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but want to get it right as once it's bought, I'll hope to be living with it for the next 20 years+ :o

have a sheepeze here, happy with it and the arm is handy. Not as handy as you think but very useful if footbath them.

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Just checked mac. Bought 2012 and sterling prices were favourable

Hurdles £22.50
    8ft sliding gate £110
    Drafting gate £185
    Hurdle sheeted £75
    8ft heavy hurdle £75

• Advertisement

Cran wrote: »
    have a sheepeze here, happy with it and the arm is handy. Not as handy as you think but very useful if footbath them.

How do you find the quality of their penning gates ? If you have any.

How do you find the quality of their penning gates ? If you have any.

Good and light, the 8 foot ones could be bit stronger but 5 foot are excellent and smart design. I ve adjusted good strong steel ones I had to work with it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

If you are going to buy a race/handling unit ask for name of farmers that have one and go see it in operation We have a Stanley unit here no complaints so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Anyone using the stanley modular mobile handling unit?..its smaller and cheaper than the sheepeze, seen one in the tullamore show last summer and was well impressed...hoping to buy one this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Anyone using the stanley modular mobile handling unit?..its smaller and cheaper than the sheepeze, seen one in the tullamore show last summer and was well impressed...hoping to buy one this week

Bring the check book!!

Ah in fairness their stuff is well made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gazahayes

Have one here find it good so far need to get the sheeted sides that narrow in to stop lambs turning around should make things alot easier.

sea12 wrote: »
    Bring the check book!!

Ah in fairness their stuff is well made.

Rang them today 2400+vat, was impressed with it when I see it in tullamore show last summer, ..looked far better that the cormac one on the stand behind it.

Went down to stanleys today and bought the modular unit and a few gates, was dealing with jason nice setup down there good lads to deal with too!

Apologies for digging up this old thread. Just wondering after a few years of using them , how are lads getting on with their stanley units ? Or have other products overtaken them on the market ? Just getting around to buying one here , thanks in advance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Apologies for digging up this old thread. Just wondering after a few years of using them , how are lads getting on with their stanley units ? Or have other products overtaken them on the market ? Just getting around to buying one here , thanks in advance ?
    I've a foxes one which I considered reasonable priced and have no issue with it.
    Stanley are probably the Rolls Royce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

I have odonnell stuff, great stuff and affordable but its 6 years since i bought it, they do their own turn over crate which is terrible so I have an IAE turnover crate, also their non return gate is poor but everything else is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

roosky wrote: »
    I have odonnell stuff, great stuff and affordable but its 6 years since i bought it, they do their own turn over crate which is terrible so I have an IAE turnover crate, also their non return gate is poor but everything else is good.

odonnell's are well fabricated but their designs and measurements are terrible,

hard to beat somebody that has experience of handling sheep, like cormac or stanley's

orm0nd wrote: »
    odonnell's are well fabricated but their designs and measurements are terrible,

hard to beat somebody that has experience of handling sheep, like cormac or stanley's

Have a load of cormac equipment and I’m abit disappointed with some of it. Got a batch of 5ft gates off them a few years ago, every second one is cracking at the welds. Also have their 6ft pens which have a supporting mid section and are way stronger. Also have their ring feeders and Im frustrated at the poor design. Think I’ll try some Stanley next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have a load of cormac equipment and I’m abit disappointed with some of it. Got a batch of 5ft gates off them a few years ago, every second one is cracking at the welds. Also have their 6ft pens which have a supporting mid section and are way stronger. Also have their ring feeders and Im frustrated at the poor design. Think I’ll try some Stanley next time.

Ya the ring feeder seems a bit more like an oval than a circle tbh. But have races and 5ft gates by cormac and cant fault them

Ya the ring feeder seems a bit more like an oval than a circle tbh. But have races and 5ft gates by cormac and cant fault them

Think the space between the bars is too wide. Grand if you’ve big Suffolk’s but medium size sheep can climb in and out of the feeders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Bought a Stanley mobile sheep race with footbath and 2 way drafting 3 years ago.... very well made never caused any bother.. very easy nice design to take off wheels so it wouldn't be stolen as easily. Actually selling it atm as getting out of sheep if anyone is interested. ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mf310 wrote: »
    Bought a Stanley mobile sheep race with footbath and 2 way drafting 3 years ago.... very well made never caused any bother.. very easy nice design to take off wheels so it wouldn't be stolen as easily. Actually selling it atm as getting out of sheep if anyone is interested. ..

Will send you a DM

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

I got accepted in Tams ll for a mobile sheep race, 1 of the conditions is that I will have to have 40 sheep by the time the grant is drawn down.

Just wondering if it has to be 40 ewes or would could hoggots be included in that.

Ashill5 wrote: »
    I got accepted in Tams ll for a mobile sheep race, 1 of the conditions is that I will have to have 40 sheep by the time the grant is drawn down.

Just wondering if it has to be 40 ewes or would could hoggots be included in that.

what exact word does the letter say?
    if it says sheep i'd be counting ewes, hoggets, rams and lambs

searched every handling unit on the market. Have it down to the Stanley, Ritchie and Wh Rea. hard to decide. The Rea one was the option of stockboard instead of sheeting in a race. Anyone ever work with stockboard for outdoor handling ? Does it fade or crack over time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 dglhills

Does anyone on here have a combiclamp? Have they every used it with horned sheep and are they any good? Have to do a lot of work on my own usually in a hurry would love to try one but afraid the blackies wont run through it as when scanning its a brave job to get them through and when I've figured out its no use the supplier will hardly take it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

dglhills wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have a combiclamp? Have they every used it with horned sheep and are they any good? Have to do a lot of work on my own usually in a hurry would love to try one but afraid the blackies wont run through it as when scanning its a brave job to get them through and when I've figured out its no use the supplier will hardly take it back?
    I gonna bite the bullet soon and buy one, along with a a proper race. Put up a post here looking for peoples opinions and they all seemed positive. I would love one on Trial like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

In the market for a mobile handling unit. Is the Stanley still one of the best out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

Does anyone know if an iae turnover crate will work with a Stanley sheepeze set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

If ye were installing a new set up, would you incorporate/build a dipping tank? Is there advantages having a tank over going with clik? Wouldn’t be hard install at the start and could be done to take the real hardship out of it. Or would a batch footbath be more benifical?

If ye were installing a new set up, would you incorporate/build a dipping tank? Is there advantages having a tank over going with clik? Wouldn’t be hard install at the start and could be done to take the real hardship out of it. Or would a batch footbath be more benifical?

if the choice was footbath or dip trough i'd go footbath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ganmo wrote: »
    if the choice was footbath or dip trough i'd go footbath

When I was developing my handling unit, I put the dipper beside the batch footbath, I used a jfc dip bath, if I was doing it again I'd use the precast concrete dip bath, it's difficult to stop the jfc from bulging in when backfilling even if you fill the dip bath with water.
    I was putting them in an existing concrete yard so treated myself to a microdigger for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

https://www.odonovaneng.ie/product/iae-sheep-handling-yards/

Anyone any experience with the IAE handling yards, are they value for money, was interested in the A system, the total cost is around 3k I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Iae make the best gear in this country or Britain. Th jenkinson up the north night be a bit cheaper n if you haggle they will deliver. Also, if your getting tams the bugle system looks like the business. They also make a top notch foot bath that will attach to it. Make life easier on yerself, it’s better spent on that than doctors bills !

Advertisement