Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

well done TG! the work is paying off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

mbarr wrote: »
    Excellent improvement. I think it's easy to consider a performance a more consistent one if you were running within yourself a bit! Miles 8-11 are so hard in half marathons.

Did you stay with the pace group when you caught it or push on ahead? From my experience running just ahead of a pace group you feel a bit like a fox chased by hounds, it's horrible!

Thanks. Yeah I didn't really know what to expect for the first one, so I played it safe and it only got hard for the last few miles. I had a much better idea where my limits were this time around, so I made it pretty hard for myself from the beginning. I guess that's the point of racing though.

I pushed on once I caught the pace group - I find them pretty intimidating in big races, so I didn't want to be anywhere near them. To be honest, I never looked back once I passed them, and it does beg the question as to what became of them - I was only 24 seconds under the 1:50 myself, and I started well behind them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done TG, Great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on a big PB TG. Great report, it looks like you gave it your all you cant ask for more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done, great improvement and very entertaining report as always. You captured the pain very well :pac:

• Advertisement

Tuesday, 5th April 2016 - 3 miles easy

3.11 miles
    32:31
    10:28/mi

Should have done this on Monday to get a bit of recovery going, as I've been crippled with DOMS for the last couple of days. I felt like I was about 90 years old for most of it, but there was a bit of improvement towards the end. The legs are feeling much better today.

Won't be doing much running for the rest of the week, as I'm busy with work until Friday, and then I'm off to Copenhagen for a few days. Was half-thinking of bringing the running gear, but I could do with a break I think.

The plan is to ease back into things next week, and then dip into a 5k plan for a few weeks. That'll take me as far as the middle of May, when hopefully I'll have decided on a marathon training plan for Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great HM time! Great race report ! You are in great running form!

Thursday, 7th April 2016 - 5 miles easy

5 miles
    49:01
    9:48/mi

Ended up taking a half-day from work in the end, so was able to get out for this after lunch. Not a particularly nice afternoon for it, but a very enjoyable run all the same. Legs are nearly back to normal.

Wednesday, 13th April 2016 - 5 miles easy

5 miles
    47:02
    9:24/mi

Ended up taking five days off in a row, so was feeling a little out of sorts for this. I don't know if I had genuinely lost much fitness, but it felt like I'd forgotten how to run. Took to a nearby trail for a change. Enjoyed it, but it felt like I'd ran twice the distance by the end.

Thursday, 14th April 2016 - 3 miles easy

3.28 miles
    29:29
    9:00/mi

Still felt off. Not sure what I was trying to achieve exactly, but it looks like 3 miles at MP, so I'll say that was the intention. Wrecked at the end again.

Saturday, 16th April 2016 - 8 miles easy

8 miles
    1:17:38
    9:42/mi

Finally felt like my body was back to normal, so I decided to make an attempt at something long-ish. Enjoyed the first half immensely, but it was a bit of a slog after that and I was happy to leave it at eight. It was still by far the most successful run of the week though.

Not quite the triumphant return to running that I was hoping for, so I need to cop on a bit this week. I have a 5k race next month, so I'm going to do a few weeks of Hal Higdon's Intermediate plan in the meantime. Breaking 23 minutes would be a nice confidence boost before I start marathon training, so that's the target.

Monday, 18th April 2016 - 5 miles easy

5 miles
    48:16
    9:39/mi

The plan called for easy miles. I'm becoming as bored of writing about them as running them at this stage, but it was the first run since Reading where I felt the effort matched the pace - very easy. I'm adding a few extra miles to the easy runs on the plan, as the next few weeks are about base-building as much as anything else.

Intervals tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I see you decided on Hal . Bought the book yesterday myself . Are you planning on building mileage before the plan starts for real ? Will you do any tempos/hills/intervals with it?

Lovely day for a nice easy run !!!

It's actually one of Hal's 5k plans I'm following at the moment - haven't fully made up my mind about a marathon plan yet!

Hal's intermediate plans look good in terms of mileage, but he has two medium-long runs during the week, one of which is at MP the day before the long run, and I think that would just break me. I was considering the famous Meno plan too, which looks great, but I don't think I have the speed or the base for it yet.

So my current idea is to do a hybrid of these plans, with one medium-long MP run in the middle of the week, an easy long run at the weekend, and then another few easy runs to make up the mileage. I'll be averaging about 30 miles per week for the next few weeks, so I'll just gradually build from there once marathon training starts, and peak somewhere between 45-50 miles.

Since it's my first marathon, I think I'll keep it simple and not do any speed work beyond the MP session and maybe some strides. I'd say I'll have enough trouble just dealing with the mileage!

I take it you're going with Hal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

I'm doing memo plan at moment, there is not a lot of speed work
    more about endurance I think, should have a look at it. Did David Carey
    one last year and think there was lot more speed work in his plan.

Plenty of MP ruining in Meno plan to help you get used to pace, lots of
    Boardies seem to have had success with it, best luck with what ever you
    decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tailgunner wrote: »
    It's actually one of Hal's 5k plans I'm following at the moment - haven't fully made up my mind about a marathon plan yet!

Hal's intermediate plans look good in terms of mileage, but he has two medium-long runs during the week, one of which is at MP the day before the long run, and I think that would just break me. I was considering the famous Meno plan too, which looks great, but I don't think I have the speed or the base for it yet.

So my current idea is to do a hybrid of these plans, with one medium-long MP run in the middle of the week, an easy long run at the weekend, and then another few easy runs to make up the mileage. I'll be averaging about 30 miles per week for the next few weeks, so I'll just gradually build from there once marathon training starts, and peak somewhere between 45-50 miles.

Since it's my first marathon, I think I'll keep it simple and not do any speed work beyond the MP session and maybe some strides. I'd say I'll have enough trouble just dealing with the mileage!

I take it you're going with Hal?

I have memo's plan printed and on my fridge for the last few months, it does look a little daunting to me too but I think I will use it if I do decide to go for this years Marathon, you're in better shape than I am and your quicker too.

Like yourself it will be my first marathon too and finishing it will be my a b and c goal.

I think if I had a couple of years of consistent running in my legs (like you guys!) I'd definitely go for the Meno plan. I've only been running for a little over a year though. Part of me thinks it's too soon to be doing a marathon at all, but sure I'm signed up now!

Thanks for the comments though - definitely food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

I think if I had a couple of years of consistent running in my legs (like you guys!) I'd definitely go for the Meno plan. I've only been running for a little over a year though. Part of me thinks it's too soon to be doing a marathon at all, but sure I'm signed up now!

Thanks for the comments though - definitely food for thought.

Furthest I'd ran prior to signing up to DCM last year was a 10k, so if you
    prepare well and work out paces for training runs and trust plan you opt
    for you should go well, I think you should opt for one plan or another as
    if you start dissecting plans could come a cropper just my opinion. Marathon
    one of best experience I've ever had hence going for second bite, hope this
    one as good. Can really feel benefits of this plan as weeks ticked off, did
    struggle a bit at start but more due to coughs & colds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I did the Meno plan for my second marathon and found it a big step up. Almost broke me, but a great plan.

Might be too much for your first. When the boards mentored novice thread gets going they will have a 'boards plan' developed for first timers. Worth taking a look at that, has worked well for many novices. You'll find last year's plan as an attachment to the first post on the 2015 mentored novice thread.

Yeah I had a good long look at the Meno plan again today (for what must be the 342nd time!) and I just don't think I'd be able for it yet.

The Boards plan looks closer to my level but I think I'd feel more confident with something that had a bit more mileage.

Really appreciate all the advice. Will have a good think about things over the next few weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Memo's plan is fantastic, no doubt about it, but it's a big step up as Anna has said, save it for marathon no 2 :) you can add more mileage to the boards plan if you do it gradually and spread it out over the week

Wednesday, 20th April 2016 - 7 x 400 @ mile pace

4.73 miles
    43:51
    9:16/mi

I was absolutely dreading this. I haven't run any faster than a 9 minute mile in weeks, and I seem to have some sort of mental block when it comes to intervals at the best of times anyway. I decided I'd use last month's 10k race to calculate my mile pace, which worked out at 6:42/mi, or roughly 1:41 per 400m rep.

Wasn't so bad in the end. Managed to keep the reps pretty consistent, and the last one was the fastest.

Splits:

1:42
    1:40
    1:41
    1:38

• Advertisement

Thursday, 21st April 2016 - 3 miles easy

3 miles
    29:52
    9:57/mi

Decided to limit this recovery run to 3 miles so there would be less time for the pace to start creeping up. Seemed to work, so might stick with this strategy for the next few weeks. Lovely sunny evening again - it doesn't take much convincing to put on the running shoes when the weather is like this.

Randomly came across a burrito van in the middle of nowhere at one stage, and have been craving one since. The burrito, not the van.

Saturday, 23rd April 2016 - 5 miles fast

5 miles
    46:39
    9:20/mi

I figured that "fast" was open to interpretation, and also that it was high time I started getting used to what marathon pace feels like. So I went with a 1 mile warm-up, 3 miles at MP, and a 1 mile cool-down. The aim for MP was a touch faster than 9:00/mi, and I ended up with 8:57, 8:57 and 8:53 for the three miles. Felt very comfortable.

Sunday, 24th April 2016 - 10 miles easy

0 miles
    0:00
    0:00/mi

Decided to take a rest day, as I was off work on Monday and would have plenty of time for a long run then.

Oh, I did do some running around a tennis court. Got comprehensively beaten by a 7 year old.

Monday, 25th April 2016 - 10 miles easy

0 miles
    0:00
    0:00/mi

Eh... I'd like to blame a lack of time, but really it was a lack of humour for running. Quite unlike me, and unlikely to become a habit. Highlighting it anyway in case I end up back here in a year's time, unfit and overweight, trying to pinpoint where things started going wrong for my running career. It was here! This was the start of it!

Tuesday, 26th April 2016 - 5 miles easy

5.01 miles
    47:41
    9:32/mi

Sometimes it snows in April. Only for a few seconds, but still. Was in two minds about trying to fit the long run in, but opted to write it off and carry on with the plan. Probably for the best, as this was very uncomfortable. My breathing was heavy, my legs were tired, and it felt like I was hardly moving - but then the average pace ended up at the faster end of my easy range. Not sure what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice session there last Wednesday TG, strong finish too!

TbL

Wednesday, 27th March 2016 - 40 minute tempo

4.69 miles
    40:00
    8:32/mi

Given my inconsistent running for the last few weeks, I was planning on taking it fairly handy for this one, or at least easing into it. Had a pretty stressful day yesterday though, and ended up hammering it from the off. Ended up with a very consistent 7:55/mi for the 25 minute tempo bit.

Got absolutely pummelled by hailstones near the end, which ironically lightened my cranky mood. Very refreshing.

Flying home to Cork for the long weekend, so looking forward to some running on home turf.

Thursday, 28th March 2016 - 3 miles easy

3.11 miles
    29:52
    9:37/mi

Had time for a short recovery run before I had to head off to get the train to Birmingham airport. Ran it a bit quick, mainly because I thought I'd be stuck for time. Had loads of time in the end. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I hope you picked the right Birmingham airport. :)

{}

nop98 wrote: »
    I hope you picked the right Birmingham airport. :)

Ha! I take it you're referring to this story?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-36150328

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Ha! I take it you're referring to this story?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-36150328

Indeed :) I was going to link to it but I ran out of time!

Saturday, 30th April 2016 - 5 miles fast

5.08 miles
    46:44
    9:12/mi

Same as the previous week, with 3 miles at MP. Breathing was strained for the whole lot of it. It was almost asthmatic, which I haven't experienced since I was four. I think I might be allergic to the boring loops around my parents' house.

MP splits were a little quick - I think somewhere around 8:55/mi will be the sweet spot for marathon training, with a view to sticking rigidly to 9 minute miles on the big day.

8:50
    8:47
    8:44

Sunday, 1st May 2016 - 10 miles easy

10.08 miles
    1:36:30
    9:35/mi

The plan was for 12 miles, but since I missed the long run last weekend I decided to leave it at 10. Turned left at the bottom of the hill and kept going for five miles before turning around again and heading back. Ended up out in countryside I've never seen before - amazing scenery.

Felt very comfortable for the most part, although I suddenly felt like I was going to puke somewhere in the middle of mile 7. Stopped for a few minutes until the sensation passed, then carried on, feeling just as comfortable as I had before. Weird.

Tuesday, 3rd May 2016 - 5 miles easy

5.08 miles
    48:48
    9:37/mi

Calves felt very tight for some reason - might be the slightly hilly terrain.

April was a poor month for mileage, but I had planned on being fairly lazy so nothing to worry about. A big PB at the Reading Half was a real highlight though, and May is already off to a decent start.

Month|2015|2016
    Jan|7.86|103.61
    Feb|14.7|116.6
    Mar|23.53|127.35
    Apr|32.91|73.11
    May|45.88|15.16
    Jun|42.65
    Jul|23.26
    Aug|84.29
    Sep|106.61
    Oct|56.17
    Nov|81.45
    Dec|55.33
    Total|574.64|435.83

• Advertisement

Wednesday, 4th May 2016 - 8 x 400 @ mile pace

5.23 miles
    46:35
    8:55/mi

Tough session, but it didn't feel like I was completely flogging myself, so I think I'm getting the effort right for these. That's two successful interval sessions in a row for me, which must be a record.

Splits:

1:39

Advertisement