Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work going on at Texaco Behind Bishopstown Bar

Options
  • 09-04-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Anybody know if this is re-opening as a petrol station ?

I seen workers there last week messing with the pumps and flushing out the underground tanks. It would be handy if it is reopening as a petrol station since the nearby topaz is gone .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, I hear that the crowd who run the Topaz on the Carrigrohane Road have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes, I hear that the crowd who run the Topaz on the Carrigrohane Road have it.
    Hopefully true, Topaz are usually good quality fuel and cheaper than the local Maxol.

Hopefully true, Topaz are usually good quality fuel and cheaper than the local Maxol.

I'll put it this way - according to solocheck.ie, two directors of O'Reilly Straight Road Limited are also directors of Firgrove Service Station Limited since December 2014. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

Does anyone know whats going to happen to the ex-Topaz/Toyota site near to this Texaco thats having work down right now?

Infracted wrote: »
    Does anyone know whats going to happen to the ex-Topaz/Toyota site near to this Texaco thats having work down right now?
    Aldi , there is another thread discussing it plus it has had some minor coverage in local papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Aldi , there is another thread discussing it plus it has had some minor coverage in local papers.
    This is probably the key here. The garage is essentially being moved across the road.

TheChizler wrote: »
    This is probably the key here. The garage is essentially being moved across the road.

You mean over to the former coffee-house sort of place, that itself used to be a service station some years back? Bejabers, Willie O'Brien has certainly kick-started the old enthusiasm for gas-stations around the place! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You mean over to the former coffee-house sort of place, that itself used to be a service station some years back? Bejabers, Willie O'Brien has certainly kick-started the old enthusiasm for gas-stations around the place! :pac:
    I mean we're losing one petrol station to Aldi but gaining another behind the Bish?

TheChizler wrote: »
    I mean we're losing one petrol station to Aldi but gaining another behind the Bish?

Oh, I see - yes, that's essentially it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Why did it close it was always busy enough in there.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »

A couple of people said to me last year it was because of the cost of drive-offs, apparently that particular place was plagued with it for some reason. That might be some distance from the truth, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anti social behaviour, gangs of marauding teenagers hanging out there every evening putting people off.
    Same problem around the old Dunne's, The Outpost, Chopsticks,Dino's and the apartments.
    The problem was at its worst in summer or school holiday time when you would see parents from outlying areas dropping their kids off to engage in anti social behaviour and then pick them up after 11.

Anti social behaviour, gangs of marauding teenagers hanging out there every evening putting people off.
    Same problem around the old Dunne's, The Outpost, Chopsticks,Dino's and the apartments.
    The problem was at its worst in summer or school holiday time when you would see parents from outlying areas dropping their kids off to engage in anti social behaviour and then pick them up after 11.

You would see gangs of youngsters hanging around by Dino's a couple of years ago looking for "entertainment", especially on Saturday evenings, but as far as I can see it's largely fizzled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Anyone have any idea of an expected opening date?

bg07 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of an expected opening date?

According to the Bishopstown News, it'll be open (as a Texaco/Spar) at the end of this month, with an official unveiling later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

You cant be for real, Topaz is by far and a long shot the most expensive petrol outlet in Ireland, I avoid them like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

bogman wrote: »
    You cant be for real, Topaz is by far and a long shot the most expensive petrol outlet in Ireland, I avoid them like the plague.

I find some of them OK on the fuel side, but they certainly know how to charge for coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

From pumps.ie

Maxol
    Glasheen Road, Glasheen 140.9c
    10th Apr
    Texaco
    Westside Service Station, Model Farm Road 143.9c

The 2 most expensive in Cork City.
    Topaz is average to be honest. Currently all Topaz garages seem to be charging 139.9 in Cork according to pumps.

It varies hugely even between forecourts of the same brand. At the moment, the Texaco in Pouladuff, along with the Maxol on the Bandon Road, are two of the cheaper ones around. The Texaco on Model Farm Road and the Maxol in Glasheen are two of the more expensive.

every forecourt is a different price. Since I buy my petrol in the Wilton biahopstown areas for the last decade I would say I am more familiar with local prices than you.

Yes amber is now cheaper but I don't like their fuel purchasing policy. With topaz I know what I am getting is consistent every time , and is almost always cheaper than the maxol by wilton

• Advertisement

...amber is now cheaper but I don't like their fuel purchasing policy...

Do tell?

Do tell?
    I dont want to start a big debate on fuel quality etc and sources but there is nothing major to tell, a family member and a friend of the family got caught out with some expensive engine repairs from contaminated fuel from 2 different stations around the country.

Am also friends with someone who started buying with them recently and after a recent fill up engine didnt run right at all, her husband is a farmer and emptied the fuel tank and put new fuel in and engine was back to running normal.

They say all their fuel is directly from Whitegate, but to me these issues wouldnt occur if there wasnt some weak link in the chain.

As i said its a personal choice, have been buying in Topaz for years with no issues.

...As i said its a personal choice, have been buying in Topaz for years with no issues.

Mmmm. Well, I get all my petrol from ol' J.R. at Texaco, so it's all the one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Since I buy my petrol in the Wilton biahopstown areas for the last decade I would say I am more familiar with local prices than you.

Don't think so, living in the west of the city for 40 years so you have a bit to go yet......

Esso South Link road yesterday, get my petrol from here most of the time, ill post today's price later, from what I remember its beats anything posted here by a long shot usually...

Texaco & Topaz seem to be operating a cozy cartel where they co-exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Don't think so, living in the west of the city for 40 years so you have a bit to go yet......

Esso South Link road yesterday, get my petrol from here most of the time, ill post today's price later, from what I remember its beats anything posted here by a long shot usually...

Texaco & Topaz seem to be operating a cozy cartel where they co-exist.

136.9 yesterday there. Yes they are usually the cheapest in the city. No one is disagreeing with that. But your assertion that "Topaz is by far and a long shot the most expensive petrol outlet in Ireland" is clearly not true just from a cursory glance at pumps.ie which is pretty accurate.

I see there is some site drilling going on now on the site on western road which also used to be a garage near the river lee hotel.

Esso south link road could not be classed as the same area as bishopstown / wilton. The entire discussion is about bishpstown/wilton and prices around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I see there is some site drilling going on now on the site on western road which also used to be a garage near the river lee hotel.

I see there's planning for a new Maxol/Mace 24hr station. Some objections from the River Lee hotel and local residents. Says on Bord Pleanala website it was due to be decided by 17/04/15 so they must have got the planning if they're drilling already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I used to love the old garage there, they used to have savage donuts way back, crikey a long way back like 15 years.

• Advertisement

I believe that site was originally bought by the reardens owner to build apartments,also the site in wilton across from the aldi site is up for sale but a garage cannot be built there.

Advertisement