Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work going on at Texaco Behind Bishopstown Bar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

54kroc wrote: »
    I used to love the old garage there, they used to have savage donuts way back, crikey a long way back like 15 years.

Twas a great stop off at 3am on the way home.... happy days back then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They had Dunkin Donuts there in the past. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

the boy racers will be delighted that their old haunt is coming back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Esso south link road could not be classed as the same area as bishopstown / wilton. The entire discussion is about bishpstown/wilton and prices around there.

Maybe so but the "cozy cartel" is alive and well in the Bishopstown area so I look for better value, by the way petrol was 140.9/l on the South link yesterday but was only 133.9/l in Mayfield, several petrol stations in the Rosscarbery/Leap area have similar prices.

North south divide !!!

ofcork wrote: »
    Why did it close it was always busy enough in there.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    A couple of people said to me last year it was because of the cost of drive-offs, apparently that particular place was plagued with it for some reason. That might be some distance from the truth, though.

I worked there for 9 months back in 1999,ever Fri and Sun 3 to 11pm, there was 1 pump (one furthest from the shop) that the CCTV didn't have great coverage on. Back than drive offs were very rare and I never had one on my shifts :)

Often wondered why it closed too, the takings were half and half typically (half petrol half shop stuff), impressive turnover, a few thousand a day plus in non petrol high profit margin stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Augeo wrote: »
    ...the takings were half and half typically (half petrol half shop stuff), impressive turnover, a few thousand a day plus in non petrol high profit margin stuff.

Wouldn't surprise me. It was in a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Place is looking close to completion now, Spar shop inside there. Texaco are still the fuel supplier. Which is good for competition as there is topaz & maxol nearby

Augeo wrote: »
    I worked there for 9 months back in 1999,ever Fri and Sun 3 to 11pm, there was 1 pump (one furthest from the shop) that the CCTV didn't have great coverage on. Back than drive offs were very rare and I never had one on my shifts :)

Often wondered why it closed too, the takings were half and half typically (half petrol half shop stuff), impressive turnover, a few thousand a day plus in non petrol high profit margin stuff.

I should probably apologize to you for being an annoying teenage brat hanging around outside the 'Statoil' back in those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Place is looking close to completion now, Spar shop inside there. Texaco are still the fuel supplier. Which is good for competition as there is topaz & maxol nearby

This is interesting and welcome news in terms of much needed local competition. That garage had closed down and re-opened previously so it is like history repeating itself again!

Did you know that the former TEXACO Forecourt Garage also re-opened on the South Douglas Road (Back Douglas Rd) recently and it seems to be run now by the Kevin O'Leary Motor Group with a well-stocked shop which will effectively be like a rival to the CENTRA Store on the grounds of the Kevin O'Leary Car Showrooms site nearby.

I assume you are referring to the TOPAZ garage opposite entrance to Dunnes Stores @ Bishopstown Court on Bandon Rd? Other TOPAZ in Wilton closed to make way for a new ALDI Supermarket - Before Topaz this was previously a StatOil station and prior to this again was a BP (British Petroleum) forecourt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This looked open this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

On the examiner yesterday the planned garage on the western road has been refused planning,objections from the hotel and issue with the café aspect.

On the examiner yesterday the planned garage on the western road has been refused planning,objections from the hotel and issue with the café aspect.

Yeah, I recall that this used to be a busy ESSO forecourt service station open 24hrs a day and popular with Boy Racers. It used have a giant TIGER on the canopy for a while too! I think the site was then earmarked for an apartment development but the massive downturn knocked this firmly on the head.

The hotel in question was raging at the idea that the use of this site would return to a garage again as they claim they had located some of their more upmarket quiet bedrooms closest to this site location but I'm not sure if the hotel can effectively dictate what ultimately is eventually situated on a nearby site that for many years had been a garage on the same site. Maybe the hotel's owners should ask if they can buy the former garage site and stump up with the going market rate as this is probably the only way they can exercise such control over that particular site.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Wasn't that to be a site for a private hospital.

vince wrote: »
    Wasn't that to be a site for a private hospital.

The private hospital (as part of former Health Minister, Mary Harney's Co-Location Policy) was earmarked at the former ESSO Carbery Service Station just outside CUH Hospital. The plan involved not only the former ESSO Garage but there was also mention of some of the houses directly behind the garage facing demolition as part of that private hospital plan at the time.

Meanwhile, after the ESSO garage went, several temporary businesses have since operated at this site. It was a snack bar cafe/car wash at one stage as far as I recall. Prior to it's time as an ESSO Forecourt Garage & Carbery Shop it was RockSavage.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Just googled it and read that ocallaghan was planning a hospital whitin the old jurys hotel site. So the garage was probably earmarked for apartments.

As I said in previous post that site on western road was earmarked for apartments aimed at the student population similar to those in Victoria cross.

vince wrote: »
    Just googled it and read that ocallaghan was planning a hospital whitin the old jurys hotel site. So the garage was probably earmarked for apartments.

This was another private hospital proposal by developer Owen O'Callaghan Properties (nothing to do with former ESSO Garage on Western Rd) - I think Lancaster Lodge apartments went on the site in question in the end as far as I know.

Meanwhile, the other former ESSO Garage outside CUH in Wilton was actually earmarked for another private hospital to be co-located on an expanded CUH campus as part of Mary Harney public/private partnership plans all those yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Am I right in thinking that the former Esso Garage on Western Rd was once known as the Muskerry service station, back in the 80's/90's? I think it was the first 24hour shop in Cork.

yeah, it was named that because it was on the site of the former Muskerry light railway sidings.

https://flic.kr/p/diR364

• Advertisement

The railway was actually on the site where the hotel is now,the garage would have been on the left of that photo.

As I said in previous post that site on western road was earmarked for apartments aimed at the student population similar to those in Victoria cross.

I've since read that although MAXOL had won planning approval from the local authorities to return the use of this former ESSO Muskerry Service Station to a Garage forecourt however; the hotel and local residents objected to the proposal and appealed the decision to An Bórd Pleanála and it was overturned. I hope the hotel and local residents prefer looking at a derelict overgrown site as it could be a while before you see this site fully developed and functioning again. It has been such an absolute eyesore for that area for quite some time now.

Pity they did not grant planning permission subject to certain reasonable conditions such as those which would have allayed the main fears of those concerned such as closing by 22:00hrs and entrance/exit gates keeping out late night boy racers from congregating on the site when it is closed for the night. If there was another garage in the immediate vicinity, I would understand but next nearest is probably out beyond Cork County Hall on Straight Road or Independent Garage on Model Farm Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The private hospital (as part of former Health Minister, Mary Harney's Co-Location Policy) was earmarked at the former ESSO Carbery Service Station just outside CUH Hospital. The plan involved not only the former ESSO Garage but there was also mention of some of the houses directly behind the garage facing demolition as part of that private hospital plan at the time.

Meanwhile, after the ESSO garage went, several temporary businesses have since operated at this site. It was a snack bar cafe/car wash at one stage as far as I recall. Prior to it's time as an ESSO Forecourt Garage & Carbery Shop it was RockSavage.

Now there's a name from the past! Can recall petrol pumps in Anglesea street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Radio5 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the former Esso Garage on Western Rd was once known as the Muskerry service station, back in the 80's/90's? I think it was the first 24hour shop in Cork.

Closing that service station was the height of Celtic Tiger madness. It was an absolute goldmine and the 24-hour opening was a huge magnet after 10 o'clock or so. You'd often find a queue of 6 or 7 people (usually getting fags or snacks) there at 3 o'clock in the morning. Also, being between college and town, the passing trade ("footfall") was huge, as were the mark-ups!

The amount of petrol stations gone from the city centre over the last 10/15 years is massive.

Just remembered the Tedcastles oil station where the Clarion is now.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Now there's a name from the past! Can recall petrol pumps in Anglesea street

I am trying to recall if the Rocksavage premises situated on Anglesea Street was replaced by Irish International Trading Corporation or if they were next door to each other? (Irish International Trading Corp. has since moved to Tramore Road on the site of Classic Cars SEAT (Cork City dealership)/DAF Trucks)

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Closing that service station was the height of Celtic Tiger madness. It was an absolute goldmine and the 24-hour opening was a huge magnet after 10 o'clock or so. You'd often find a queue of 6 or 7 people (usually getting fags or snacks) there at 3 o'clock in the morning. Also, being between college and town, the passing trade ("footfall") was huge, as were the mark-ups!

So very true ...It was probably the busiest Cork City Centre garage forecourt after nightclubs closed each night! Not to mention the meeting point for many late night "Boy Racer" gatherings in their souped up cars driving round 'n round town thru the night and into the early hours of the morning!

The amount of petrol stations gone from the city centre over the last 10/15 years is massive.

Just remembered the Tedcastles oil station where the Clarion is now.

Yep, Tedcastles used their green colour TOP brand logo on that forecourt up to it's demise to make way for the Clarion Hotel on Lapps Quay. (I believe "TOP" was an abbreviation for Tedcastle Oil Products)

Other Service Filling Stations to closedown include the following:
    *Burmah station on Lavitt's Quay near vehicle entrance to Paul Street Multi-Story Car Park. *Shell pumps within Cork City Centre Car Park (between Grand Parade and South Main Street) * Shell garage in Capwell near Lankford Row * Shell garage on Carrigrohane Straight Road * Top/Amber Garage in the suburb of Togher * Esso Garage formerly RockSavage outside CUH Hospital in Wilton * Topaz/Statoil/BP in Wilton just beyond High Street shop units * Statoil/BP garage where Centra Store is now located at Victoria Cross * Statoil in Grange now an ALDI Supermarket * Shell Garage Forecourt on Curraheen Road opposite former Viscount Bar * Texaco pumps (Sean Hanley's) by SuperValu on Togher Road *Texaco Garage in Tivoli near Silversprings * Esso Garage on Western Road, Cork * Esso fuel pumps @ former Dennehy's Cross Garage (outside Cork Farm Centre opposite former Post Office premises)

Other Service Filling Stations taken over by new brands/owners include:
    Carrigrohane Straight Road: JET > Statoil > Topaz
    Bandon Road, Ardnarostig, Bishopstown: JET > Statoil > Topaz
    South City Link Road: Burmah > Emo > Great Gas > Esso
    Tivoli near Silversprings: BP > Statoil > Topaz
    Model Farm Road towards Dennehy's Cross end: Shell > Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I am trying to recall if the Rocksavage premises situated on Anglesea Street was replaced by Irish International Trading Corporation or if they were next door to each other? (Irish International Trading Corp. has since moved to Tramore Road on the site of Classic Cars SEAT (Cork City dealership)/DAF Trucks)

Rocksavage was where Ramen and the 2 other units are now. You can still see the mark on the concrete where the pumps were situated at the edge of the footpath.

• Advertisement

That area must have all been known as rocksavage as the old west cork railway where the garage is now was also rocksavage.

Advertisement