Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weights and Swimming

Options
  • 09-04-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Have been working away since January just solely on swimming training and am moving pretty well. Im wondering has anyone any advice on how to integrate weights into a swimming training schedule? As in should I do weights one day and completely leave swimming, or do a bit of both? Cheers for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr.Magooo

Have been working away since January just solely on swimming training and am moving pretty well. Im wondering has anyone any advice on how to integrate weights into a swimming training schedule? As in should I do weights one day and completely leave swimming, or do a bit of both? Cheers for any replies

It depends on your goals and age. Is the weight training to increase strength, lose weight, build muscle, body building. If its a question of general fitness and to help with your swimming performance, I would suggest alternating between swimming and weight training. When weight training personally I would concentrate on compound movements which will give you a full body workout and do very little isolation exercises. You do not want to build muscle like a body builder if your a swimmer. Hope that helps a bit.
    Good luck with your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sounds like you're already a very competent swimmer? The best resistance work I find for swimming is in the pool itself. Get into the habit of long pull sets, use your ankle bands as much as possible, and get a good set of power paddles that fit your hand well and to be honest you really don't need a lot of time in the gym to complement strength sets in the pool - the resistance work will strengthen the lats, delts, and chest and more importantly, fire the muscles in precisely the way they need to respond while swimming powerfully.

Outside the pool I would focus more on core strength than anything targeting upper body.

Advertisement