Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My debit card is not working??

Options
  • 09-04-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hello,
    I don't understand what's going on with my card and what's the big deal with traveling abroad.

On 8 March I sent a Credit Card Travel Notification through 365 Online, saying that I'll be in two EU countries from 31 MArch to 12 April. I used my card to pay some highway tolls and some other things. This morning at 1am I receive a text message saying that I urgently needed to contact you regarding my debit card. I checked my balance in a hurry and everything was fine, I didn't call back because it was 1 in the morning.

Later this morning I receive a call from you and I confirm that the transactions listed by the operator were done by myself, I thought your security concern was over after that. A few minutes ago I tried to use my card while simply grocery shopping for a total of less than 20 Euro, I'm totally out of cash, and the transaction was denied, twice, I had to leave everything there.

What's going on? Why are there so many issues with traveling abroad? I sent the travel notification, I'm still abroad, I'm using my card to pay less than 50 Euro bills, why all this concern about my card security?

I thought I was happy being with BoI until now, randomly not being able to use my card in my home country is not acceptable. I already did the same thing last year and there were no issues.

edit: months in dates were inverted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hello,
    I don't understand what's going on with my card and what's the big deal with traveling abroad.

On 8 March I sent a Credit Card Travel Notification through 365 Online, saying that I'll be in two countries from 31 MArch to 12 April. I used my card to pay some highway tolls and some other things. This morning at 1am I receive a text message saying that I urgently needed to contact you regarding my debit card. I checked my balance in a hurry and everything was fine, I didn't call back because it was 1 in the morning.

Later this morning I receive a call from you and I confirm that the transactions listed by the operator were done by myself, I thought your security concern was over after that. A few minutes ago I tried to use my card while simply grocery shopping for a total of less than 20 Euro, I'm totally out of cash, and the transaction was denied, twice, I had to leave everything there.

What's going on? Why are there so many issues with traveling abroad? I sent the travel notification, I'm still abroad, I'm using my card to pay less than 50 Euro bills, why all this concern about my card security?

I thought I was happy being with BoI until now, randomly not being able to use my card in my home country is not acceptable. I already did the same thing last year and there were no issues.

Hi JackHeuston,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

We're sorry to hear of the difficulty you have been experiencing in using your cards abroad.

You mention sending Credit Card Travel Notification via 365 Online. Can you let us know if you also provided Debit Card Travel Notification to either your branch or Bank of Ireland 365?

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Hello,

On 8 March I sent a Credit Card Travel Notification through 365 Online, saying that I'll be in two countries from 31 MArch to 12 April. I used my card to pay some highway tolls and some other things. This morning at 1am I receive a text message saying that I urgently needed to contact you regarding my debit card. I checked my balance in a hurry and everything was fine, I didn't call back because it was 1 in the morning.

Hi JackHeuston,

We're sorry to hear of the difficulty you have been experiencing in using your cards abroad.

You mention sending Credit Card Travel Notification via 365 Online. Can you let us know if you also provided Debit Card Travel Notification to either your branch or Bank of Ireland 365?

Thanks

Billy
    Hello,
    there is no Debit Card Travel Notification element in the drop-down menu in the Online Service Desk, only Credit Card Travel Notification. I specified my debit card number there. I did that twice already in the past year and never had an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi JackHeuston, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this.

When using your card abroad we always suggest to inform us of your travel plans and up to date contact information prior to your leaving date. 

This ensures that our security team are aware of possible foreign transactions and also have up to date contact details for you in case they need to verify transactions. 

As Fraud can occur at home or away, our Security team offer a 24/7 monitoring service for your security. If a domestic or foreign transaction resembles a possible Fraud trend (even with travel notification on the account) they may flag your account and contact you as soon as possible to ensure they are valid. 

Once transactions have been verified, the flag is removed instantly and your card should operate normally. If you are still experiencing difficulty using your card, please call BOI Direct on +353 1404 4000 and a representative will be more than happy to look into this for you. 

We hope this helps. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Since nothing was done to repair the huge difficulties had today I'm going to close my account with your bank as soon as I'm back to Ireland.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Since nothing was done to repair the huge difficulties had today I'm going to close my account with your bank as soon as I'm back to Ireland.

Regards.
    Hi JackHueston,

We're sorry to hear of the continuing difficulties you are experiencing. As my colleague mentions, a BOI Direct Representative on +353 1 4044000 will be more than happy to look into this for you as a matter of urgency. Reps are available from 8am - 12midnight Mon - Fri and 9am - 6pm Sat, Sun & Bank/Public Holidays.

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement
Advertisement