Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with identifying dog breed?

• 09-04-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

A friend of mine recently bought/rescued (depending on which way you look at it) an 8 week old bit*ch pup a few weeks ago. He took it for a trip to the vet had it flea-ed, wormed and currently getting vaccinated. Firstly when he brought it to his vet he was told it was full breed Pit Bull. On the second visit his vet then told him it looked more like a Pit Bull crossed with a Lurcher. As it's now getting bigger, he's getting more and more opinions that it could be crossed with the likes of a Jack Russell so I thought I'd put it put here and try get more experienced opinions on what she might be or even try to narrow it down a little. The only thing is as I'm a new user I can't post links or images yet :/ Is there anyway around this or anyway someone on here could post the image for me? Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Lurcher x bull breeds are very common, they're used for lamping - wheaten terrier or beddington terrier isn't uncommon in the mix up too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Upload the image here and just share the link. http://tinypic.com/

You might need to wait until it's fully grown to really take a guess at what breeds are there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Or use one of the DNA kits - my nephew discovered his deer hound looking lurcher was more Maltese then anything else via one - we were all very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Evac101 wrote: »
    Or use one of the DNA kits - my nephew discovered his deer hound looking lurcher was more Maltese then anything else via one - we were all very surprised.

They're not very accurate those tests, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A friend of mine recently got a DNA test done on her puppy. He looks like a mixture between a lab, great dane and mastiff.

Came back that he's mostly Australian Cattledog. Eep.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 SullDog

Thanks for all the replies so far lads. @irish_goat I've tried TinyPic but because I'm a new member it won't let me post images or URL's :/ I've mentioned the DNA test to him but they seem to be crazy prices and as Springwell mentioned I've heard they're not the most reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Just a thought... does it matter what breed the dog is? From the description of where the pup was got from (bought/rescued) it sounds a bit dodgy so whatever the buyer was told has to be taken with a large pinch of salt. As long as the owner is happy I would sit back and treat it as a pressie with a layers and layers of wrapping i.e. sit back and each day wait and see what the dog look like. After a year the parentage may be more obvious.

But then again if one or more of the parents are crosses you may never know . But that's the fun of mutts for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

SullDog wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies so far lads. @irish_goat I've tried TinyPic but because I'm a new member it won't let me post images or URL's :/ I've mentioned the DNA test to him but they seem to be crazy prices and as Springwell mentioned I've heard they're not the most reliable.

Ah I thought you could post links. Feel free to PM me the photo and I'll post it.

Advertisement