Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

identify a contrail

• 09-04-2015 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Seen a contrail today around 12:30 over Galway, it had regularly spaced 'smoke rings' any ideas what this may be? Never seen a trail like that before.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jogdish wrote: »
    Seen a contrail today around 12:30 over Galway, it had regularly spaced 'smoke rings' any ideas what this may be? Never seen a trail like that before.

Air has different amount of moisture in different places, so as a contail fades, it will fade faster in the areas with little moisture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Never saw so many jets over Galway for the past week it's non stop

Storm 10 wrote: »

That'll keep increasing until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Alaba320

Storm 10 wrote: »

It's probably just because there are no clouds blocking your view this week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That'll keep increasing until June.

What's happening in June :confused:

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »

The peak summer season?
    Seasonal flights are restarting, especially in may. Most will be restarting in may.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

I seen a strange one, there was a darker contrail all the way over the horizon, but it was in front of the plane, normal white contrail was out the rear as usual.... any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

Stinicker wrote: »

It's the peak of transatlantic flights because of holiday goers in summer, I presume.

I seen a strange one, there was a darker contrail all the way over the horizon, but it was in front of the plane, normal white contrail was out the rear as usual.... any ideas?

Often happens at twilight. The contails away frombthe the horizon will appear very dark even looking like dark smoke. Interesting enough, it must be to do with the angle of light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Tis all explained here:
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread282867/pg1

But no, I have noticed the same. I'm thinking that it's to do with the laminar flow of air over the wing, it's all pretty linear but I figure that eddies form at vortexes at regular intervals.
    So that's my theory and it stands until proven otherwise.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Often happens at twilight. The contails away frombthe the horizon will appear very dark even looking like dark smoke. Interesting enough, it must be to do with the angle of light.

11.30 am, it was like a shadow alright, never seen anything like it before.

Magnetic pulse drive..... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

11.30 am, it was like a shadow alright, never seen anything like it before.

If the Sun was behind the aircraft, it can cast a shadow of the contrail forward onto a thin cirrus layer.

In this example the underlying cloud was quite thick but sometimes it is so thin as to be invisible.

.JAI230_A333_800721_VTJWU_IMG0773_2013-06-08_m.jpg

arubex wrote: »
    If the Sun was behind the aircraft, it can cast a shadow of the contrail forward onto a thin cirrus layer.

In this example the underlying cloud was quite thick but sometimes it is so thin as to be invisible.

.JAI230_A333_800721_VTJWU_IMG0773_2013-06-08_m.jpg

Very like that, but the sun was nearly at noon, plane was directly above me, heading westerly, shadow contrail was all the way to the horizon, westwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Chuck Aaron

A good friend of mine, let's just call him "Ducktales"...Lives breathes sleeps and anything else you can think of....Contrails.

I worry about the chap.

Advertisement