Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial underwriting role?

Options
  • 09-04-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey just wanting to know if anyone here works as a insurance underwriter? I basically wanna know what the job entails. Is it like fund accounting where your just putting in data into a spreadsheet all day? Or is there more interaction on phones with Brokers etc???

It's commercial underwriting I'm looking at. All help would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It depends on what risks you are underwriting. Commercial covers a wide variety of classes of risk. In general an underwriter can be just a guy with a pen ticking boxes and putting up with s#ite from brokers/public or have a really interesting job, out and about looking at complex risks. If you are starting out and have no ACII qualification you will have the former role.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cormieman

It depends on what risks you are underwriting. Commercial covers a wide variety of classes of risk. In general an underwriter can be just a guy with a pen ticking boxes and putting up with s#ite from brokers/public or have a really interesting job, out and about looking at complex risks. If you are starting out and have no ACII qualification you will have the former role.

Hi cheers for the reply... Yep this would be entry level... So I'm guessing I'd be on the phones to brokers???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Yes, you would be dealing with brokers who will try to beat you down on rate. At entry level it is not exactly riveting work, but if you can move around to different areas you will pick up a lot. Most likely you will work off a 'rule book' and after a while will have some discretion on reducing the rate by a %. If you want to be taken seriously by the employer or continue with it as a career, you need to start studying for the ACII exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cormieman

Yes, you would be dealing with brokers who will try to beat you down on rate. At entry level it is not exactly riveting work, but if you can move around to different areas you will pick up a lot. Most likely you will work off a 'rule book' and after a while will have some discretion on reducing the rate by a %. If you want to be taken seriously by the employer or continue with it as a career, you need to start studying for the ACII exams.

Thanks for the information....

Advertisement