Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sue Perkins to present Top Gear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Sue Perkins, presenter of the Great British Bake Off, is rumoured to be taking over Top Gear when it returns to air.

I've never watched Top Gear, but I might start watching it now.

Just so I can have some context when social media has a meltdown on the day the first episode is aired.

In all seriousness, if Perkins is offered the job, I think it would be a bold move on the part of the BBC. Taking a show which is so male-dominated and putting not only a woman at the centre, but a gay woman - I have to say, hats off.

If there are sexist and homophobic people who watch Top Gear (and with a viewership of 350 million a week, there has to be), it's one way of challenging their prejudices.

It's really not, the BBC are essentially thumbing their nose at everyone they can, in particular Clarkson, and this is the best way that they can do it without looking like theyre "stooping to Clarkson's level" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    As a person, she is about as likeable as a good, solid kick in the nut purse, but she doesn't deserve this. Hopefully she sees what's going on and tells them to shove it.

When did the BBC release the lesbian-only-presenter-because-we-have-to-look-pc-and-thats-the-only-reason-we-would-even-consider-a-woman-because-obviously-no-woman-can-really-do-the-job memo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

nokia69 wrote: »
    yes

i doubt she knows anything about cars, if I found out she has no driving licence I wouldn't be surprised

the BBC is run by social justice warriors so they believe in quotas and tokenism and all that useless shiite

I hope sue perkins, Token black from south park, and a post op tranny will end up being the next top gear presenters

the epic fail will be perfect

Using the phrase "social justice warrior" outside 8chan merely marks you as a drooling idiot, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Candie wrote: »
    When did the BBC release the lesbian-only-presenter-because-we-have-to-look-pc-and-thats-the-only-reason-we-would-even-consider-a-woman-because-obviously-no-woman-can-really-do-the-job memo?

That's too literal. Think of it as a plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Dunno, but I think it may have coincided with the decision to force panel shows to have at least two (iirc) females on them. Extremely stupid and insulting to women imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It is?

She may have merits as a presenter, but those don't translate to Top Gear in any format as an entertainment juggernaut. Presenting a programme like Bake Off isn't a remotely similar skillset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Not sure who this is directed at due to the fact that multiple suggestions of suitable women have been posted ITT. You must have not read through it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Aside from previous presenting experience on shows with absolutely NOTHING to do with cars, WHAT merit?

Is it inconceivable to just think logically for a moment that fans of a car show would want a presenter with experience with cars?
    Her merit is her history as a capable (if largely, inoffensive) presenter. She doesn't rock the boat, she's mildly funny in that tv-appropriate kind of way, she gets the show done.

As for the bold, of course the optimal sitiuation would be a host with a great knowledge of cars who is personable and funny, etc. My point is, lots of people who have a background of hosting that is not motoring-related (like Dermot O'Leary, X Factor) are being considered because of their general hosting experience and Perkins is getting jumped on because she's a woman and a lesbian as if that's the only reason she could possibly be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

conorhal wrote: »
    The only suitable Coren is Giles Coren. Affable, charming, witty, erudite and a perfect left field choice.

Ah shtop, he's as up himself as his sister. :D And he just doesn't have universal appeal, a bit too much of a posho for that. His sister is also like that but somehow is more earthy.

• Advertisement

So because a woman is considered for a job, it's because of de feminists and de pc brigade and de social justice warriors and de quotas and de pandering and probably de gays too since she's a lezzer.

No, nothing sexist going on at all there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mod note: Folks, we're getting into sniping and pettiness here. By all means, feel free to debate. Drop the personal insults and the whole "attacking the poster".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

She may have merits as a presenter, but those don't translate to Top Gear in any format as an entertainment juggernaut. Presenting a programme like Bake Off isn't a remotely similar skillset.
    I don't necessarily disagree - thought you were responding to something else but you've added a quote now; my mishtake!

Is it true that average male presenters cannot be allowed for Top Gear anymore?

Is it true that you're cold and a kid at war?

I agree literally and entirely. Can you quote me if you're going to reply indirectly in future? I don't want to miss a thing Candie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Using the phrase "social justice warrior" outside 8chan merely marks you as a drooling idiot, I'm afraid.

spoken like a true SJW

BTW I have no idea what 8chan is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Drop the pettiness, the insults, the attacking of posters. Cards are being handed out from now on.

Agricola wrote: »
    Would'nt agree with that. Jonathan Ross is a film nerd and his reviews (while pre-written) were always well researched, insightful and entertaining.

I can't say I ever found his reviews particulay insightful or entertaining. He even sounded bored delivering them. Probably well researched but that's about it.

So because a woman is considered for a job, it's because of de feminists and de pc brigade and de social justice warriors and de quotas and de pandering and probably de gays too since she's a lezzer.

I want her to get the job

I think it would be hilarious

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Her merit is her history as a capable (if largely, inoffensive) presenter. She doesn't rock the boat, she's mildly funny in that tv-appropriate kind of way, she gets the show done.

As for the bold, of course the optimal sitiuation would be a host with a great knowledge of cars who is personable and funny, etc. My point is, lots of people who have a background of hosting that is not motoring-related (like Dermot O'Leary, X Factor) are being considered because of their general hosting experience and Perkins is getting jumped on because she's a woman and a lesbian as if that's the only reason she could possibly be considered.

Lots of people have shared their reasons for not liking her or wanting her as a Top Gear presenter that aren't close to the ones you've pointed out. As for the people you're talking about; there are still some closeminded people. That's life. Deal with it.

You'll find lots of people objecting to every possible candidate if you look around the internet on discussions on this.

EireNYC wrote: »
    I for one won't be watching any programme presented by Sue Perkins. Nothing against her as a person but she is not suited to Top Gear.

Why wouldn't you watch any show she presents if you just don't feel she is suited to this one. :confused:

It's pretty annoying to see comments about how this is a show aimed towards men

I know, what's that about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Jesus this reminds of the 'Idris Elba for Bond' thread, now Sue Perkins for Top Gear. My childhood is getting ruined here. :D Can we not ruin a good thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I can see Sue Perkins, Dermot o' Leary and James Corden getting to host. Probably the worst line-up I can think of at the moment. The BBC will go for a token female host like Sue Perkins. Some behind the scenes at the BBC have said in the past that male dominated panel shows such as Have I Got News For You, They Think It's All Over and QI should have had/should have more female panelists.

I don't have a problem with a female host(s), Sabine Schmitz and Jodie Kidd have already been mentioned and have the knowledge, the driving skills and they also like cars/racing. Sue Perkins as far as I know doesn't.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I know, what's that about? :confused:

Is that a sexist statement? Do you want to take a guess at which is the majority demographic of the viewers of Top Gear, men or women?

If we were discussing a show like Oprah or Ellen here and a woman posted a similar comment about that being a show aimed towards women, do you think any male posters would bat an eyelid about it or read into it?

• Advertisement

Eutow wrote: »
    The BBC will go for a token female host like Sue Perkins. Some behind the scenes at the BBC have said in the past that male dominated panel shows such as Have I Got News For You, They Think It's All Over and QI should have had/should have more female panelists.

they talked about that once on QI
    I don't have a problem with a female host(s), Sabine Schmitz and Jodie Kidd have already been mentioned and have the knowledge, the driving skills and they also like cars/racing. Sue Perkins as far as I know doesn't.

yeah sabine or jodie could work but sue has more PC points, so I wonder who the BBC want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I can see Sue Perkins, Dermot o' Leary and James Corden getting to host. Probably the worst line-up I can think of at the moment. The BBC will go for a token female host like Sue Perkins. Some behind the scenes at the BBC have said in the past that male dominated panel shows such as Have I Got News For You, They Think It's All Over and QI should have had/should have more female panelists.

Well, Sue Perkins has said she's not hosting so she's out and James Corden is hosting one of the biggest late-night shows in the US so he's not coming back even for Top Gear. O'Leary is still in play, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

They're suing Perkins to present Top Gear? That's a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Well, Sue Perkins has said she's not hosting so she's out and James Corden is hosting one of the biggest late-night shows in the US so he's not coming back even for Top Gear. O'Leary is still in play, as far as I know.

I wouldn't read too much into that (Sue Perkins saying no) until the new presenters are officially announced. Maybe not James Corden, but somebody that is equally annoying and unfunny as him.

Is that a sexist statement? Do you want to take a guess at which is the majority demographic of the viewers of Top Gear, men or women?

Lots of women enjoy it and I don't see what makes it seem aimed at men specifically.

• Advertisement

Lots of women enjoy it and I don't see what makes it seem aimed at men specifically.

I don't think its aimed and men or woman, but maybe more men are fans

it looks to me that they try to have fun making the show and thats why millions of people like it

its not really something that can be planned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I don't mind who the new host is once they know which lever is the velocitator and which the deceleratrix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Jim Davidson would be the ideal replacement for Clarkson. He certainly ticks all the right boxs; middle-aged, vaguely racist, prone to fits of temper....

And? Who said they didn't? The point is men would be the majority of viewers so there would be a degree of appealing to the target demographic, the same as any show. Would you also complain like this if there were shows that actually openly claimed to be for women? Or are you just looking to seem offended just for the sake of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Carol Vorderman to present. If she gets her kit off while doing some sums I might even watch the show.

........before I get a site ban, some flake called Clarkson hijacked my a/c.

And? Who said they didn't? The point is men would be the majority of viewers so there would be a degree of appealing to the target demographic, the same as any show. Would you also complain like this if there were shows that actually openly claimed to be for women? Or are you just looking to seem offended just for the sake of it?

Oi vey. Not getting into this. Try not to cream yourself at the idea of people getting offended for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Agricola wrote: »
    Would'nt agree with that. Jonathan Ross is a film nerd and his reviews (while pre-written) were always well researched, insightful and entertaining.

I much prefer pre-written reviews to the 'spontaneous' style that the likes of Mark Kermode has.

I think Kermode is a great writer and great documentary maker (The Fear of God is an outstanding documentary, as is Shawshank: The Redeeming Feature) but I had to stop listening to his podcast a couple of years ago.

He rambles on and on like a pub bore. Give me a pre-written, terse style over that any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Adamantium wrote: »
    Boy I sure am a dullard, thank the gods someone will enlighten and turn me back to the light. Because we all know that's what people tune into Top Gear for, to feel the warmth of a correction facility, that indoctrinates me back to the light

Just as well, I was so afraid that I'd gone off the path of righteousness. Just in time. Just in time.

As I said, I don't watch Top Gear and probably won't start in the future.

However, it is because of sarcastic people like you that I'd be f-cking delighted if Sue Perkins got the job of presenting it.

Anything that winds you and your lot up is fine by me!

Oi vey. Not getting into this. Try not to cream yourself at the idea of people getting offended for the sake of it.

I'm already on my second change of boxers tonight. I can go for a third!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Hammond and May are idiots if they stick with Top Gear instead of going with Clarkson. He's got so much power behind him that he's guaranteed to get a good gig but all three of them together would result in something amazing. The three of them have been together too long to now change up the chemistry that the three had. They play off of one another perfectly and each one acts as a ground for the other. I and lots of others have said this loads of times but they should start a new show with Netflix. The possibilities of them three bringing their format of show and massive number of fans to Netflix with them would be hugely beneficial to them and Netflix.

They could do world tours for the live segments of their show and have celebrities on the show that otherwise would've been unobtainable before on the BBC. The show is already a huge international success but imagine how much better it could be with a weekly worldwide release in every Netflix region. Sky or ITV have nowhere near the potential to make a better show than Netflix. They should be looking to improve upon their show, not downgrade it.

I think if that happened (and it should!) then the BBC would abandon TopGear altogether .......... there's no way it could compete!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Jesus this reminds of the 'Idris Elba for Bond' thread, now Sue Perkins for Top Gear. My childhood is getting ruined here. :D Can we not ruin a good thing ?

I'm confused ........... isn't Sue Perkins tipped to be the next James Bond??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dale winton should present the new top gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,497 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If it has to be a woman, and I'd rather not on a car show, she should have large bewbs, wear tight clothes and give ample glances of cleavage going round corners fast. I dont want a lesbo with a manish hairstyle. This is not a highbrow show, its cars and testosterone, the BBC would do well to remember that because the viewing audience will.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 meetyaduma

Really Funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Quazzie wrote: »
    If I remember correctly she done something absolutely stupid that could've been lethal, on one of the most dangerous sections, so it's not really a good example to be giving.
    Yeah I remember watching that, she stopped in the middle of the road in blizzard like conditions. Here's the clip.
    I don't think she'd have the temperament for the challenges.

Guy Martin would be spot on for it.
    Really liked the programme where he tried to set a new speed record for human powered flight.

Hope to god Dermot O'Leary or Vicki Butler-Henderson don't get it.

As long as they pick people with a real interest in motoring and not to fulfil some kind of quota then I don't mind.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I think if that happened (and it should!) then the BBC would abandon TopGear altogether .......... there's no way it could compete!

Yep. And it'd be even better for Netflix as they'd definitely get new customers that would've never used Netflix before just to watch Top Gear. Apparently over 350m people worldwide watch Top Gear, if even 1% of them followed the trio to their Netflix show that's 3.5m new subscribers to Netflix. Part of what makes Top Gear more enjoyable is the shared weekly experience where one watches the episode and then discusses it the next day at work or school with ones friends so it'd make most sense for Netflix to not release all episodes at once for binge watchers but release it weekly.

With this format if they only even did just 8 episodes that's 2 months subscription @ ~€8/month multiplied just by the new 3.5m Top Gear subscribers they'd get €56m/£40m. Keep in mind this is very conservative estimating since with the correct marketing there'd be far more than 1% of original Top Gear viewers signing up to Netflix for the new show yet these figures would already be competing with, or even beating, BBC's earnings for Top Gear. Factor in all the customers already subscribed to Netflix (over 50m) and there'd easily be a few more million willing to watch it. Netflix would have more money to spend on this show than they'd even need to in order to completely surpass what Top Gear was. And that's just from subscriptions alone!

Like I said, they could do tours for the live segments of the weekly show. This would create completely loyal fans around the world since they were personally there and part of one episode. Do one season in America where each week they go to a different city in America and use bigger studios to earn more from the audiences admissions. Bring on absolutely massive celebrities occassionally and also celebrities that are relevant to the city they're in (more appeal to residents to subscribe and watch the show). Do one season in Australia, one season in Asia, one season in Europe etc. On top of this they could probably get access to cars they otherwise never could have. Product placements and endorsements etc.

The possibilities of them going to Netflix are so big that I'll actually be upset if they don't. They should be trying to advance from the BBC, not retreat by going to ITV or Sky, and since streaming is literally the future of television and Netflix are at the forefront of that technology they'd really be shooting themselves in the foot by not realising this and going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Well now the BBC doesn't allow all male talk shows/comedy panels. So that's exactly what it is in part.

Top Gear didn't hit 350 million viewers for being safe and capable, mediocrity seems to the rule now rather than the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

As I said, I don't watch Top Gear and probably won't start in the future.

However, it is because of sarcastic people like you that I'd be f-cking delighted if Sue Perkins got the job of presenting it.

Anything that winds you and your lot up is fine by me!

I'm not part of your "lot".
    You don't even watch it and know that just somehow it's a good thing.

A one sized fits all agenda perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

without Jezza, Top Gear is nothing, everyone knows that, even the BBC themselves. The show is finished without him, Jezza is Topgear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I'm confused ........... isn't Sue Perkins tipped to be the next James Bond??? :confused:

No Sue Perking is going to bake a car!

Advertisement