Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitch lagging?

Options
  • 09-04-2015 6:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody getting horrible lag on twitch? 10 seconds lag every few seconds. It's been unusable for today and yesterday. I'm on UPC.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Twitch can sometimes serve from odd location choices. For me on UPC it tends to be London or Amsterdam, which is fine, but I've San Francisco before, which isn't quite ideal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Must be. Works fine from my phone for now though, hmm.
    EDIT: ah laggin there too now but not near as bad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you run something like Firebug you can see the requests being made. They'll tend to have the airport code of their location in them, which may explain more of what's happening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I installed FF & FB. I enabled the net panel and can see hostnames and IPs, what/where is the airport code? /looks further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yeah I'm getting video lag on UPC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

on UPC too, my stream has been pigslow today too, mates were about 5 minutes or so behind me, and buffering for ages at a time too

I installed FF & FB. I enabled the net panel and can see hostnames and IPs, what/where is the airport code? /looks further

Grab a screenshot while it's playing of the Firebug net panel output.

That's Amsterdam, video62.ams01.hls.ttvnw.net. Get a tracert to that address next time you see slow responses, if that is, you're playing from that once more.

It seems at 12:30 it stopped lagging and is normal now. Will tracert tomorrow if it goes back to crap, cheers for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

This is a confirmed UPC issue. Post over on the UPC section of this site letting them you have this problem so they'll have more info to help them fix it faster.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057410672

Might also try posting here:
    http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/questions/11611837-issues-with-upc-ireland-and-twitch

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's a Telia ISP issue it seems judging from boards/reddit/FB/twitch help.

If the issue stops at the end of prime time, and there's the telltale sign of the latency spiking and staying high at the port between UPC and Telia, then it does all strongly suggest a saturated peering point.

Advertisement