Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the future of gaming?

Options
  • 09-04-2015 7:41pm

Given that the discussion on the past of gaming is proving somewhat successful, thought it might be fun to do one on the future.

With virtual reality possibly about to explode, is this to route that we are going down? Are we moving ever closer to the technology seen in Ready Player One and would you like to see a real life OASIS?

If not, what do you think is the potential future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Commander LaForge to holodeck one, Moriarty has taken more hostages!

Oooh i cant wait! this is gonna be awesome!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I haven't been lucky enough to experience Oculus Rift, Project Morpheus etc. but it really looks like they have the basics of VR cracked and honestly I can't see anything escaping that lure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

VR will be a part but people will always want to watch a screen and play games, on their own, with company in local mutliplayer/coop and online multiplayer coop.
    And as such I think, as long as companies make system exclusives, and long may it continue, there will be console makers.
    The future will look broadly the same as now, but with more digital only games.
    In the past 30 years that's the only thing that has really changed.
    We have always bought a console or computer, hooked it up to a display, plugged in a controller and played carts/disks or tapes, loading games and playing them.

I think the big change will be the ability of an artist/craftsman to create anything he/she wants to, unfettered by concerns about console power.
    More games like Okami, XIII, LoZ Wind Waker, ICO, SotC and so on, no need to be racing to some photorealism.
    Instead we will see an effective cinematography taking place. As in film, once the medium is perfected and understood we may see something really special.
    Though, it has to said, the limitations of consoles over the years has led to some amazing innovations and problem solving on the part of programmers to extract beauty from the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

We're already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Personally I think 4k gaming and all that is involved for that, like top tier GPU's for both PC and consoles is the future.

VR while great for certain games is hindered for most game types by not being able to see and use the keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ballyargus

GTA VI, FIFA 2016, Gran Turismo 6. Sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Venom wrote: »
    Personally I think 4k gaming and all that is involved for that, like top tier GPU's for both PC and consoles is the future.

VR while great for certain games is hindered for most game types by not being able to see and use the keyboard.

For the time being... but the fact that you recognize that merely as an impediment to the otherwise inevitable success of VR elucidates the inescapable fact that VR will reign supreme.

At the end of the day in every game we play we want immersion, everything else will be reworked to fit within this goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Except when it comes to sharing experiences with other people in the room with you.
    In which case VR is rubbish.
    VR forces one experience on you, a first person experience regardless of genre.
    Otherwise, if you are playing a game from an overhead perspective or third person, then its just a glorified big screen tv, a tv that only you can see.
    So, no, VR is just one available display for games but will not be dominant in any regard.
    Displays will keep improving resolution to the point that the eye can't tell anymore.
    Same with colour, frame rate, polygons and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The future of gaming is going to be subscription based services like Playstation Now through Smart TVs once it comes at a palatable price imo.

I never look at my controller when playing a game on my Playstation so not being able to see it would never be an impediment when using VR. Actively shutting out my family by wearing a Headset would be more of an impediment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Being able to have sex with my car.... but in a video game

I never look at my controller when playing a game on my Playstation so not being able to see it would never be an impediment when using VR. Actively shutting out my family by wearing a Headset would be more of an impediment.

I agree with you, but like Ciderman said, VR is only really good for first person style games and most of those don't require many keys/buttons to play.

Other game types such as beat em ups, 3rd person action adventures, RTS, side scrollers, MMO's and simulators either require being able to use a ton of keys so seeing the keyboard is needed or make zero use of VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I agree with you, but like Ciderman said, VR is only really good for first person style games and most of those don't require many keys/buttons to play.

Other game types such as beat em ups, 3rd person action adventures, RTS, side scrollers, MMO's and simulators either require being able to use a ton of keys so seeing the keyboard is needed or make zero use of VR.

One of the best VR games (according to games journalists) is Luckey's Tale which is a 3rd person Mario 64 type game. You are mostly right though, the killer app for VR atm seems to be games where you sit in a cockpit but I think that could change as it's only been a few years since the first oculus devkit came out and AAA games need time to develop.

In the future there probably will be a backlash against tech which will probably take shape in some sort of religion or perhaps teenagers will insist on playing outside in the "dangerous" real world to defy their parents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

VR will go the way of the Kinect... Then again I thought the idea of a 'life simulation' game was ludicrous... The Sims 1,2,3 and 4 beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have literally never looked down at my 8-button arcade stick while playing.

I'm almost certain I rarely looked at the keyboard during TIE Fighter, come to think of it.

Anyone remember all those great fighting games played from a first person or over the shoulder view?
    No?
    Well then don't count on VR to be the answer there.
    Twin stick shooter fan are you?
    Not much point in VR either?
    How about horizontally or vertically scrolling shooters or platformers?
    Probably not going to need a headset for that either.
    VR is probably going to have gaming experiences we can't even guess at but in now way is it going to replace a decent display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I don't know, it might be fun to go the arcade with your friends even if they live in a different country :)

http://digitalcybercherries.com/images/NewRetroArcadeV2_8.jpg

http://digitalcybercherries.com/

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have literally never looked down at my 8-button arcade stick while playing.

I'm almost certain I rarely looked at the keyboard during TIE Fighter, come to think of it.

For me, it's not so much a case of looking at a keyboard directly to hit certain controls but being able to see it out of the corner of my vision. Not having any visual reference of a keyboard at all would be a completely different story imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

for fps games and games that aim to be completely immersive VR is most certainly the holy grail, the thought of being able to exist in any world that can be thought up is an amazing idea, its how are we going to control things in VR that has me guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone remember all those great fighting games played from a first person or over the shoulder view?
    No?
    Well then don't count on VR to be the answer there.
    Twin stick shooter fan are you?
    Not much point in VR either?
    How about horizontally or vertically scrolling shooters or platformers?
    Probably not going to need a headset for that either.
    VR is probably going to have gaming experiences we can't even guess at but in now way is it going to replace a decent display.

Metroid Prime 4 with a VR headset though... That'd work!!!

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    Metroid Prime 4 with a VR headset though... That'd work!!!

Yes, but that's because it's a first person game to begin with!
    Imagine playing Other M instead, picture the nausea as the game flicks from third person to side on to first person and back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I dunno, I reckon we've yet to see the real benefits of blast processing...

Myrddin wrote: »
    I dunno, I reckon we've yet to see the real benefits of blast processing...

Don't forget grapple vision :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We'll all be plugged into the Matrix lads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The hardware manufacturers don't care about making advances in hardware and input devices, the future they'll be looking to is subscription services ala Netflix and more micro transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The hardware manufacturers don't care about making advances in hardware and input devices, the future they'll be looking to is subscription services ala Netflix and more micro transactions.

I agree. I think stream gaming will be the way forward. One plus to this may be that theoretically you will be able to play the best version of that game without a custom built PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I agree. I think stream gaming will be the way forward. One plus to this may be that theoretically you will be able to play the best version of that game without a custom built PC.

From experience with the last few streaming services the best way for them to save money was to be economical in their processing and games were run at very modest specs. Sony and MS will be trying to erode ownership as much as possible, subscriprion services are far more lucrative as well and a far more stable source of income. PS plus and PS Now are already making in roads in this area, it's a far more stealthy approach to it than what MS tried with the XBox One. Make no mistake, streaming services won't be for the consumers advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Retr0gamer wrote: »

think it's a long way away from fully taking over though.
    just look a the ****storm that ensued when MS tried to effectively remove disc-based gaming for the Xbone.

just look a the ****storm that ensued when MS tried to effectively remove disc-based gaming for the Xbone.

Give it a couple of years. Netflix and Spotify have shown that subscription services can be successful. Even the likes of Adobe have embraced subscription with Creative Cloud. I reckon about 80% of what I buy for the PS3 is digital - I'm playing catch up on old titles that I pick up for usually between €5-€10. Physical copies don't really appeal to me due to limited space. If Playstation Now was at a reasonable rate, I wouldn't have any issue using it.

• Advertisement

Don't be too sure about that. The digital world moves fast. Just look at the uproar over downloadable content, games and consumer rights 7 years ago and now look at how acceptable it is. Also look at how people can't say a bad word against PS Plus and it's totally accepted now. People are happy with their 'free' games they pay 60 euros a year for and are only renting if they read the T&C. PS Plus is definitely great value but Sony have used that great value and a floundering Microsoft to bring in paid for online services, something which should have caused uproar but the internet mouth pieces at the time were too busy at the time going after Microsoft.

PS Now at the moment is a joke due to the pricing but if it comes out of Beta and Sony make the package as enticing as PS Plus (or even change PS Plus to PS Now) then Sony can cleverly introduce the concept of suibscriptions and streaming. Basically Sony are slowly moving towards a very similar model that Microsoft proposed for the XBox One, or at least one that will give them the same control over the industry but are doing it in a far cleverer way and I'm willing to bet it will be in place by the time the next generation of consoles rolls around.

Advertisement