Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the future of gaming?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Would love for gaming to eventually reach the level of VR seen in that anime Sword Art Online with that "Nerve" gear... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Would love for gaming to eventually reach the level of VR seen in that anime Sword Art Online with that "Nerve" gear... :)

However if the games are anything like the SAO anime they'd be the most boring and generic games ever (with a bit of incest thrown in for good measure).

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    (with a bit of incest thrown in for good measure).

What? o.O;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What? o.O;

Not gotten to the second half of the show then with the sister madly in love with the main character? :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not gotten to the second half of the show then with the sister madly in love with the main character? :D

Think it was mentioned later on in Season 1 they weren't blood related.

• Advertisement

Think it was mentioned later on in Season 1 they weren't blood related.

Yeah, the old anime trope. Doesn't make it any less wrong though to me :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't mind the idea of a subscription service as long as the games I want are available.
    Seems, once the games you like aren't top tier you may be out of luck finding them.

Top Tier or licensed. Once a games license expires it usually disappears forever except in exceptional circumstances like the X-Men and Turtles Konami arcade games... which have since disappeared from download services due to lapsed licensing deals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And this is why the idea of having my choice of games selected on my behalf by someone else unpleasant.
    I went on Netflix to watch Mars Attacks the other night and it wasn't to be found.
    Other movies vanish in regular sweeps and are replaced, imagine you're halfway through Dark Souls as you play via subscription only to find, next time you log on, that the game has disappeared, perhaps due to a licencing issue with the publisher or who knows what.
    Nope, I'd rather a physical copy thanks very much, this is why I own Wipeout HD/Fury instead of relying on Sony to keep supporting it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Far more interested in the form future games will take as opposed to the technology we'll be playing it on (not that that isn't interesting in its own way).

Based on the last few years, I hope there are more experimental and abstract games, ones that really subvert and challenge the existing form factor of games. A positive trend IMO has been the games more interested in exploring unusual interactive spaces as opposed to more traditionally 'gamey' settings and mechanics. This has taken the form of many 'walking simulators' and the like, but there's certainly plenty of upcoming titles like Fire Watch, Sunset, No Man's Sky, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture etc... that look like pushing boundaries in very fresh ways. While I'd argue that complex / convoluted mechanics (a very narrow margin between those two descriptions!) are unnecessary for many titles, it will be interesting to see how developers start marrying more in-depth 'play' to these games.

Similarly, I'm excited about the narrative potential to be explored in both gameplay mechanics and interactive worlds. This doesn't necessarily mean more 'choice-filled' fantasy melodramas or more traditionally 'linear' tales (although I'm sure there'll be plenty of them, and plenty of fascinating ones at that), but games that really start exploring more unusual thematic space, and embrace more complex social, political and even personal contexts. I think the seemingly commonplace perception that games are just mindless entertainment is a profoundly limited, backwards one (embodied by a certain 'keep diversity out of our games!' movement), and I have no doubt there will be plenty more games that demand more serious engagement. Again, the seeds of this are already there with games like Papers, Please, Jason Rohrer's games or (slightly more crudely) Papa & Yo, so long may it continue to evolve. While player agency in storytelling to date has very often been boiled down to a series of binary choices, it's safe to say game makers will devise more organic, multi-faceted and (to use a buzzword) emergent ways of involving players in stories.

And another thing we're seeing a lot of now is surely going to continue: longer development periods for AAA games. Everybody's demanding bigger, better, more detailed games, and that's clearly making the big releases significantly more expensive and time-consuming to actually produce. In a way making games has never been easier and more accessible for many people, but at the top tier (or indeed independent perfectionists!) there's a lot of effort needed. On the negative side, this is undoubtedly going to lead to many titles being pretty risk averse given the huge costs attached (plus lots of HD reissues and DLC in the considerable downtime between 'full' sequels). On the plus side, I'd be confident there will indeed be significantly more impressive games created by these technological advances - we might be waiting a while, but I'm fascinated to see what Rockstar and Naughty Dog can produce on next-gen tech and beyond.

• Advertisement
Advertisement