Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Cabbage under netting

• 09-04-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks Tried to grow some Chinese cabbage last year in my tunnel and very quickly learnt that cabbages are meant to be grown outdoors during the spring summer. Grew some successful in the tunnel over the Autumn and Winter.

This year I decided to grow them outdoors, I had have been grown them in my tunnel from seed and then on to cells in the 6 plant bedding trays up to this week and transplanted them outdoors today

I read I have to cover them with netting to protect from cabbage root fly and also the oul cabbage white butterfly. Which I did along with a smaller section for some Onion sets. rmmdeH.jpg
    Question I have though is will they have enough light to grow well with the netting shading them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I never had a problem, although your net looks denser than the one I used.

Mine came on beautifully the first year and then got shredded by pigeons(b*****ds :mad:) the minute I lifted netting. So I just leave it on now until they are much more developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I never had a problem, although your net looks denser than the one I used.

Mine came on beautifully the first year and then got shredded by pigeons(b*****ds :mad:) the minute I lifted netting. So I just leave it on now until they are much more developed.

Cheers for that, Yep I'm not sure about the density of the netting myself. Might see if I have some lighter stuff hidden away somewhere, but not too light that will allow the butterfly in. I have some cauliflower seedlings coming on that will go under it in a few weeks.
    This is my first time growing stuff outdoors as last year I grew everything in my tunnel and quickly realised I needed netting across the doors as it soon got regular visits from birds and butterfly's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Berberis wrote: »
    Cheers for that, Yep I'm not sure about the density of the netting myself. Might see if I have some lighter stuff hidden away somewhere, but not too light that will allow the butterfly in. I have some cauliflower seedlings coming on that will go under it in a few weeks.
    This is my first time growing stuff outdoors as last year I grew everything in my tunnel and quickly realised I needed netting across the doors as it soon got regular visits from birds and butterfly's.

There is a product called Enviromesh which is specifically designed for this job. It's available in a few garden centres.

Advertisement