Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cockatiel escaped & returned

• 09-04-2015 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

I have a cockatiel for about a year now, Loki is his name. Really happy, playful and friendly little bird. He love attention and getting rubbed. The cage is open so he is free to move about the room which is fairly large. he can fly in circles and what not. Normally he's in two places, on my shoulder or in the cage. It's where he feels safest.

On Tuesday I returned from work and went about my usual routine. I don't have a lane so I need to go through my house to get to my back yard, which is where I clean my bike, store fire wood, etc. I went out the back to clean my bike while Loki was in his cage. The back door is in a separate room to where the bird cage is. He has never moved between the two rooms, I don't think he is capable of navigating through the door. Anyway, I didn't even get out the door and he was flying over my head. Didn't even hear him. I immediately started calling for him through whistles etc. He started calling back, but in a panic. He seemed scared and desperate to get back to me. Unfortunately he was unable to locate me and his whistles began to fade. At this point I rant out to the street but no sign of him. I then got my bike and cycled all around the area. Spent most of the evening searching for him, but no luck. I initially feared the worst, thinking maybe another bird or animal has killed him, he flew into a window, got hit by traffic etc. Instead of looking in the trees, I began looking on the ground, in gardens just in front of windows. At best, I hoped he may have flown onto somebodies shoulder and they took him in and gave him a good home.

I called the local vets (Blackrock Vetinary Clinic) and sent an email to the DSPCA and other organisations. I received an email today from Lorna at the DSPCA who said a cockatiel was found and returned to Barbara O’Malley clinic in Bray. After 2 restless nights I was begining to lose hope of finding Loki. This email restored my hope, how many cockatiels could have went missing in the past 2 days? Even still, I didn't want to get excited just yet. I gave the clinic a call and described the bird, they said it could very well be my bird. One thing stood out with him, we thought him to whistle the theme tune to Game of Thrones. It took a lot of time, but it sure did pay off :)

The bird was indeed Loki and he's back home and acting as if nothing happened :P

I want to thank the Barbara O’Malley clinic in Bray, Blackrock Vetinary Clinic and the DSPCA. They were a fantastic help.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, this is for sure the best thing I've read today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yep - me too - so glad you have him back safe!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

You poor thing, I'm so glad you got him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah glad you got him back safe and sound!! Now you have to post a video of him whistling GOT :D

I know a petshop in town had a Conure that escaped. She opened the next day and the Conure flew back in the front door. She was delighted as it was a pet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Wow, well done to whoever found the bird! Glad you got him back.

I used to have a cockatiel growing up but much like yours never ventured further than the windowsill in the kitchen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You do know now that we're going to require a video of him whistling that tune?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

Iamxavier was this in Dun Laoghaire? He was outside my office at lunch looking lost and was brought to Barbara's by a woman here who knew about birds!!

I'm so happy to hear he made it home if he is the same bird!!

Advertisement