Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Alarm fault

• 09-04-2015 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Someone I know has an alarm which has a number of smoke detectors connected, the smoke detectors (at least one but maybe more) are going off in a constant blip/squak. I say this in that I havent been asked for advice, and I dont think they'd look here, but Im still trying to keep it off the radar so didnt put it in the title, as like I say I havent been asked.

It would drive me mental and on the rare occasion I am there, I find it very noticeable. I dont know how they dont crack up as it seems like its going constantly day and night, but they seem to pay no heed of it, Id be suprised if the neighbours couldnt hear it and Im astounded they dont just try and get someone out and get it fixed for a few reasons. I know people can tune things out but there are limits, mine are obviously less, If it was going in my neighbours Id be asking them to sort it or pull the plug on the alarm so to speak.
    How much is this likely to cost them if they get someone to look at it, I dont even mind a reply by pm for supplying any details regarding location and alarm type if thats allowed, which Id prefer. Its probably a relatively simple fix, maybe even resetting it after replacing batteries.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭altor

cerastes wrote: »
    Someone I know has an alarm which has a number of smoke detectors connected, the smoke detectors (at least one but maybe more) are going off in a constant blip/squak. I say this in that I havent been asked for advice, and I dont think they'd look here, but Im still trying to keep it off the radar so didnt put it in the title, as like I say I havent been asked.

It would drive me mental and on the rare occasion I am there, I find it very noticeable. I dont know how they dont crack up as it seems like its going constantly day and night, but they seem to pay no heed of it, Id be suprised if the neighbours couldnt hear it and Im astounded they dont just try and get someone out and get it fixed for a few reasons. I know people can tune things out but there are limits, mine are obviously less, If it was going in my neighbours Id be asking them to sort it or pull the plug on the alarm so to speak.
    How much is this likely to cost them if they get someone to look at it, I dont even mind a reply by pm for supplying any details regarding location and alarm type if thats allowed, which Id prefer. Its probably a relatively simple fix, maybe even resetting it after replacing batteries.

The beeping is an indication that the back up battery needs to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

altor wrote: »
    The beeping is an indication that the back up battery needs to be replaced.

The sound does seem to be (fairly certain) coming from the smoke detectors, I'd think they may have tried to replace the back up 9v batteries but I dont know for sure, I havent looked at their panel to see what the error is as its accessible and visible, but it seems a bit nosey. It may well be their alarm back up battery.

I have no interest in looking at it as Ive enough things to do myself, including replacing my own alarm back up battery.

How much are they possibly looking at cost wise for a call out? to check repair if thats it? I think Im going to make a suggestion/recommendation to them, whether they follow it up is another thing.

I dont know how common their alarm type is, I think not as common but Ive heard of the make.

The sound does seem to be (fairly certain) coming from the smoke detectors, I'd think they may have tried to replace the back up 9v batteries but I dont know for sure, I havent looked at their panel to see what the error is as its accessible and visible, but it seems a bit nosey. It may well be their alarm back up battery.

I have no interest in looking at it as Ive enough things to do myself, including replacing my own alarm back up battery.

How much are they possibly looking at cost wise for a call out? to check repair if thats it? I think Im going to make a suggestion/recommendation to them, whether they follow it up is another thing.

I dont know how common their alarm type is, I think not as common but Ive heard of the make.

If the smoke detectors are wired into the alarm system then it is this that supports them for power in the event of a mains outage.

Standalone or mains powered smoke detectors would have a back up battery for the event of an mains outage.

We do not give out prices with regard works carried out in your home. You would need to shop around for same. If they are the standalone detectors then I would suggest replacing the batteries yourself. If mains powered to be safe turn this off the mains first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

altor wrote: »
    If the smoke detectors are wired into the alarm system then it is this that supports them for power in the event of a mains outage.

Standalone or mains powered smoke detectors would have a back up battery for the event of an mains outage.

We do not give out prices with regard works carried out in your home. You would need to shop around for same. If they are the standalone detectors then I would suggest replacing the batteries yourself. If mains powered to be safe turn this off the mains first.

Apologies, I believe the smoke detectors are wired into the alarm????

This isnt for me, Im enquiring on behalf of someone who doesnt even know Im enquiring. I have no intention of doing any of the tasks, I do these things for myself where I can, they will have to pay to get it fixed. Not familiar with their alarm type (or any other than my own), just looking to get a contact number and be able to get a ballpark figure to give them an idea and put them in the right direction.

Apologies, I believe the smoke detectors are wired into the alarm????

This isnt for me, Im enquiring on behalf of someone who doesnt even know Im enquiring. I have no intention of doing any of the tasks, I do these things for myself where I can, they will have to pay to get it fixed. Not familiar with their alarm type (or any other than my own), just looking to get a contact number and be able to get a ballpark figure to give them an idea and put them in the right direction.

Thats no problem. Here is a link to the PSA website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement