Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this blacklisting?

Options
  • 09-04-2015 11:06pm
    Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

A particular job is advertised, the role is very specific, it requires a certain set of skills...
    Numerous persons with these set of skills are applying for these jobs, but none get the job, the job goes to someone with 75% of the required skills, the hiring manager says they will not hire from qualified persons applying, because they like to mould the person, therefore always excluding perfectly qualified persons.
    Is this blacklisting, in other works if I work in the same role for another company, I will never be successful in applying to this company because I'm qualified for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

No, that is an employer looking for someone who is inexperienced, someone who hasn't yet developed bad habits or work practices and someone whose skill set they can hone to their requirements.

Blacklisting is where a former employer puts the word out around the industry that you should not be employed for whatever reason. This does happen, particular in small, niche industries.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Is this blacklisting, in other works if I work in the same role for another company, I will never be successful in applying to this company because I'm qualified for it?

You may be qualified to do the work, but that does not mean that you are suitable to take the position at a given company. That is up to the management or owner to decide. And yes of course there will be discrimination of some sort, that is how you decide between the 5 or 6 people that could potentially fill the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

This would fall under 'fitting into the culture' of the hiring company.

If they want inexperienced people they can mould that's perfectly fine.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

OK, thanks...awful waste of talent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Why not leave whatever qualification you want off of your CV.

It's not like you're adding a fake qualification, just tailoring your CV to the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Triangla wrote: »
    Why not leave whatever qualification you want off of your CV.

It's not like you're adding a fake qualification, just tailoring your CV to the role.

Because I'm pretty sure the job advertisement doesn't state that they only want someone with 75% of the required skills requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OK, thanks...awful waste of talent imo.

Not necessarily. Many managers won't hire someone who can already do 100% of a job, it's a waste of time because they get bored and leave too quickly. So they hire with room to grow into the role.

Because I'm pretty sure the job advertisement doesn't state that they only want someone with 75% of the required skills requested.

The OP said that's exactly what they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Triangla wrote: »
    The OP said that's exactly what they're looking for.

You need to read the OP again.

It became apparent after the position was filled or people with the necessary skills were declined.

You need to read the OP again.

It became apparent after the position was filled or people with the necessary skills were declined.

Might be crossed wires here but to further elaborate -

From the OP's post:

"Numerous persons with these set of skills are applying for these jobs, but none get the job, the job goes to someone with 75% of the required skills, the hiring manager says they will not hire from qualified persons applying, because they like to mould the person, therefore always excluding perfectly qualified persons. "

Your comment:

"Because I'm pretty sure the job advertisement doesn't state that they only want someone with 75% of the required skills requested."

The OP is now aware that when applying for roles, if they feel they have 100% of the required skills and therefore may not get the job, it may work to their advantage to forward an application and CV showing 75% of the required skills.

Hence my suggestion of leaving out a qualification if they feel it is in their interest when applying for any other role that arises.

• Advertisement
Advertisement