Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 7), Apr 10-11, 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Few tasty looking fixtures this week.

After seeing Derry play at the Cross last week it should be no bother for Shamrock Rovers to get three points.

Havn't seen Drogheda yet but you'd imagine Dundalk will stride past them at home.

Pats v City has draw written all over it.

Galway and Sligo could be a goal fest given both teams starts to the season.

Anyway, looking forward to a good night of ball.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

2nd time playing Longford in 4 days. We'll likely be making 9 or 10 changes from that team and I assume Longford will do similar. Reckon we have enough to take 3 points, but expect Longford to make it tough.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Que Sera, Sera.
    Whatever will be, will be.
    We're going to Cabinteely.
    Que Sera, Sera.

Looking forward to this. Wasn't at the Cup game but by all accounts we dominated for most of the game and just lacked a decent finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Longford again. It'll surely be a different team that Bohs put out but I don't see why we shouldn't pick up the 3 points.

Different players but same attitude should see us right... I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Need a win tonight imo! Can see it being drab!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Brandywell is not a happy hunting ground and it was a hammering in the cup semifinal up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hopefully tonights defeat isn't too embarrassing. In and out and move on to preparing for next weeks defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Floodlight failure at Tolka Park and the match on hold at the minute.

Anyone know how many minutes a game must play for the result to stand?

Shels took the lead in the 9th minute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Floodlight failure at Tolka Park and the match on hold at the minute.

Anyone know how many minutes a game must play for the result to stand?

Shels took the lead in the 9th minute

Ah here we go again.

Seriously though, I heard a lot of time and effort was put into the floodlights in Tolka over the off season so this is a bit surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Aaaaaaand we're back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Game at the Brandywell is stinking the place out. Awful 1st half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just a severe lack of goals around tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

2-0 to Bohs puts them 2nd in the league. Nobody would have predicted that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Finished a draw at the Brandywell.

Fahey sent off for 2 yellows. 2nd was for diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sounds like a classic at Tolka tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Mushy wrote: »
    Just a severe lack of goals around tonight

We had 2 dissallowed... And tbh Athlone should have scored if that helps at all.

Ref gave us nothing but at least it got the noise of the home support up. 900 anyway, 1000 is probably a bit optimistic.(edit-yep too optimistic, 857 the official attendance)

Started the year at odds of 25-1... Was 13/2 before the match... And another 1st v 2nd next week. Nice being optimistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cork played for a draw and got a draw, they can defend well.

Not gonna bitch about refs cos we a dirty team anyway :rolleyes: but jaysis.....Sheppard gets a yellow for kicking brennan whilst he on the ground we get a red for a nothing tackle which i think Dennehy may never recover from, the screams from him were childish.

Cork are a filthy team devoid of any creativity who play "kick ball hard, kick player hard" vs 10 men for 20 minutes they had 0 shots on goal which added to their total of 1?

We had 2 players booked tonight when they had the ball :confused:...but im not gonna bitch about refs we both have to play with them and we a dirty team :rolleyes:

Special mention for Liam Miller in all my time going to LOI and seeing ex internationals come back to the league, he stood out as actually being a decent player. Shame he cant pass the ball forwards but he looked arsed and seemed to enjoy his battle vs Brennan and Chambers. He didnt dive around like a whiny **** like Dunleavy and Dennehy.

Lee Desmond is my new favourite player ever, he was ****ing immense and had Dennehy in his pocket until well the red, but otherwise he is a decent signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I reckon Owen Heary will be getting his first decent night's sleep in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

dreamers75 wrote: »

Not gonna bitch about refs cos we a dirty team anyway :rolleyes: but jaysis.....Sheppard gets a yellow for kicking brennan whilst he on the ground we get a red for a nothing tackle which i think Dennehy may never recover from, the screams from him were childish.

Cork are a filthy team devoid of any creativity who play "kick ball hard, kick player hard" vs 10 men for 20 minutes they had 0 shots on goal which added to their total of 1?

We had 2 players booked tonight when they had the ball :confused:...but im not gonna bitch about refs we both have to play with them and we a dirty team :rolleyes:

Special mention for Liam Miller in all my time going to LOI and seeing ex internationals come back to the league, he stood out as actually being a decent player. Shame he cant pass the ball forwards but he looked arsed and seemed to enjoy his battle vs Brennan and Chambers. He didnt dive around like a whiny **** like Dunleavy and Dennehy.

Lee Desmond is my new favourite player ever, he was ****ing immense and had Dennehy in his pocket until well the red, but otherwise he is a decent signing.
    Miller kicked him. Sheppard got a yellow for going over and screaming in his face.

Miller kicked him. Sheppard got a yellow for going over and screaming in his face.

there was i starting to like Miller........cnut.

but yeah LOI refs.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

2nd in the league, dreaming :)

To be fair to Longford, they gave us a good game and it was only a set piece that separated us until the 2nd goal, which broke them. They'll finish mid table comfortably.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Grand oul win for Dundalk,Drogheda palyed with 22 at the back and sucked the life out of the game but up stepped the Richard and he got us what we truly deserved.We still have a lot of work to to do to finesse this side but the late winner shows that we are a quality side to be reckoned with in our defence of the crown.Late goals can realy decide what your state of mind can be.Late equalizer for Lims v us last week put me in bad form for the Easter weekend,this weekend i'm as chirpy as a man can be.

Also rumour tonight that Cork v Dundalk on the 24th April could be a live game for RTE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

0-0 in the Brandywell, I don't recall a shot on target. Elding came close with a chip, Rovers had about five penalty claims turned down (one was definite, another one a maybe). Could someone tell all the players, Mikey Drennan does not jump, so stop thumping balls up there, if they just put the ball in front of him, he will run on and get some. I like Drennan, he works hard and hopefully he'll come good.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Speaking from experience... Once you get a reputation for it you lose all benefit of the doubt.... As in if there is any doubt you wont get the call and you will get harsh cards on top of it. Dont get me wrong, we deserved our reputation last year but we had to basically pull out of every tackle for a while to stop getting reds (before undoing it all against ye).
    Fortunately turned a corner this year, a slightly calmer Ollie and a handful of yellows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So basically because you have not a ****ing clue which player it was and because Pats got 3 times more cards then Cork, that in your mind Cork were more filty.

Blind and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Don't want to be getting ahead of ourselves but based on last nights result I'd say we're definitely going to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We were abysmal last night.

Given the run around by a fantastic Wexford team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Cork are awful. Hoofball City. I have no idea why they signed Liam Miller if they are not going to use him. He must have a creak in his neck. They won't be seriously challenging Dundalk.

So basically because you have not a ****ing clue which player it was and because Pats got 3 times more cards then Cork, that in your mind Cork were more filty.

Blind and stupid.

Pipe down buddy. The individually of the player doesn't matter to his general point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

monkey9 wrote: »
    Pipe down buddy. The individually of the player doesn't matter to his general point.

Ya cause Pats play a lovely brand.

Yer getting red cards cause of other teams sure. Not yer fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You're great craic fella. :pac:

Cork came for a draw and got it .. . shame on them really :pac:

Miller is great ... Oh wait he's a dirt bag like the rest of the Cork team but Pats are angels and get yellows and reds for nothing. . nothing at all.....refs eh

Always someone else's fault I see

Blind and stupid.
    Well they clearly were for anybody watching the game. Pat's got four cards - two for minor trips from Desmond, one for O'Brien for complaining about the sending-off and another for Brennan for mouthing off after Dunleavy pole-axed him. Dunleavy was taken off before he could get himself sent off, for god's sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

A salutory lesson here folks, NEVER, EVER, drink and post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Bohs were full value for their win against us last night, we were terrible, cousins didn't know what to do to stop bohs over running us in midfield! Hope rice is ok, looked fairly concussed last night! Our keeper could have came and won both goals which were across his 6 yard box twice, he did the same against pats, he looks ****in terrified to leave his line and will cost us all season, we need to find a keeper up to this level!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I love the doublethink from the Pats fans. They precisely spot every infringement of the opposition, but the minute Pats do anything wrong, the rose-tinted glasses go on. It was the same last year when they were calling us hatchet-men. In a game where they committed 16 fouls. We then went on to finish second in the fair play table (I don't know where Pats were, but they were at least two places below us).

Dunleavy got a yellow for a clean tackle on that rat Brennan, but he was up to his usual tricks of diving. Forrester committed six fouls, but no yellow. The Pats players tried to kick John Kavanagh, Brennan in particular putting in a foul worth at least a yellow. Desmond got his first yellow for holding onto the ball and throwing it away; his second yellow was a late tackle on Dennehy. Well deserved red card. Fagan was falling to the ground as usual, but in fairness to the ref, he didn't fall for it that often. There was one alright, where he was backing into Bennett, but fell to the ground to make it look like Bennett used him as a boost. It was in their own half, and the ref was giving the defending side the benefit of the doubt - City got a couple of bizarre frees in our own half. Where Fagan left Pats down in his unconvincing diving, though, Brennan more than made up for it. Won four or five frees and put in a few nasty challenges. Laughably, he was only given a yellow for dissent - he was in the ref's face after his own were awarded a free. About two minutes after getting in his face following Desmond's deserved sending off.

On the game, City about shaded it. In the first half, we hit the bar, had one tipped around the posts (which some experts refer to as a "shot on target") and had one cleared off the line. Pats woke up just before half time and realised they were playing a football match. Point blank header straight at Nults, but he did well to put it over. Other than that, Pats had two more shots on target which wouldn't have trouble an under 5s keeper and Fagan made an absolute hash of a good chance and hit it nowhere near the goal. They skied a fair amount of shots, their number 2 a particular culprit. For a period of about 15-20 minutes in the second half, they dominated possession but did f*ck all with it. City hit the outside of the post from a free in the second half, had a few shots just wide of the top corner and got into some good positions, particularly from the wings, but failed to turn it into goals.

Whilst we didn't play overly well, we had the chances to beat a very poor Pats side. But, a point away is a decent result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Dunleavy was taken off before he could get himself sent off, for god's sake.

Something that should obviously have been done for Desmond and Bermingham in the last two games.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Something that should obviously have been done for Desmond and Bermingham in the last two games.
    Only a lunatic would have taken Desmond off. He was playing really well and rarely looked like conceding a foul. The two he gave away were never yellows.

Who needs Alan Matthews?

Well they clearly were for anybody watching the game. Pat's got four cards - two for minor trips from Desmond, one for O'Brien for complaining about the sending-off and another for Brennan for mouthing off after Dunleavy pole-axed him. Dunleavy was taken off before he could get himself sent off, for god's sake.

The thing is, I wouldn't complain about the sending off in the sense that it was silly to go into that tackle while being on a yellow. But a few minutes later, their centre back who is already on a yellow ploughs through one of our players, no yellow card. Caulfield took him off minutes later.

Killian Brennan got a yellow for dissent, but Billy Dennehy was mouthing off at the ref all match. Pure nonsence

Cork are awful to watch, but Caulfield has them challenging so absolute fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Don't see them much apart from us obviously but definitely seems like Cork are set up to clog it a bit away from home under Caulfield, especially against the top teams. This season at home we basically did the same back and nullified them, unlike last season.

As for pats being dirty, it's probably a bit unfair. I can only talk for Rovers but Bucko definitely gets them wound up to fcuk against us but that's to be expected.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You're great craic fella. :pac:

Cork came for a draw and got it .. . shame on them really :pac:

Miller is great ... Oh wait he's a dirt bag like the rest of the Cork team but Pats are angels and get yellows and reds for nothing. . nothing at all.....refs eh

Always someone else's fault I see

You played vs 10 men for 20 minutes and had no shots on goal. Your keeper was was classed as a playmaker. Not one........ There are some decent players in the Cork team who are being told to kick it long, you are very easy to defend against.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Mushy wrote: »
    Who needs Alan Matthews?

No one, that's who.

Delighted with that victory the more I read about it. Let's hope the form keeps going now!

I told you dreamers that Lee Desmond is quality, he'll be gone by the end of the year to Scotland/England once he's ready, only reason he rejected moves last summer to Scotland.

As for Shels, shocking! Saturday away to Cobh could be embarrassing, could be a very long trip!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Quite funny seeing Cabinteely's attempt at a UCD squad list on Friday. The list included at least 8 players that left before the start of the season.
    Cabinteely will only get worse as their pitch gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Quite funny seeing Cabinteely's attempt at a UCD squad list on Friday. The list included at least 8 players that left before the start of the season.

I remember a programme in Dalymount about 5 years ago that listed a late 90s Galway United squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Dundalk were called Dundalk United in UCDs program last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Also rumour tonight that Cork v Dundalk on the 24th April could be a live game for RTE.

:)
    The Premier Division match @CorkCityFC v @DundalkFC on Friday, April 24, at Turner’s Cross will be shown live in HD on RTÉ2. Kick-off: 19:35

Cabinteely have asked Blackrock RC to train on Thursday nights supposedly so the pitch is cut up.
    doncarlos wrote: »
    Dundalk were called Dundalk United in UCDs program last year.

Wexford called us Shelbourne United a few years ago! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement