Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrician Dublin 1 area

Options
  • 10-04-2015 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi ya

any recommendations/contact details for electrician in Dublin 1 area. Woke up to no power in plugs so no idea what the issue is

Looking for someone for this evening or tomorrow if possible

PM me if possible

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Check fuse board. Sounds like elcb is tripped. Just push it back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

cheers checked all that this morning.

unplugged everything and still nothing.

turned everything off and back on again. Have lights but no power in the plugs. One red switch (which I think is the trip switch) wont go back up even though nothing is plugged in now

• Registered Users Posts: 7 simone2014

Take a photo of the board and post it up .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

cheers checked all that this morning.

unplugged everything and still nothing.

turned everything off and back on again. Have lights but no power in the plugs. One red switch (which I think is the trip switch) wont go back up even though nothing is plugged in now

Turn immersion off

If that doesn't work then
    Turn all trip switches off
    Push trip switch up (the one that won't reset)
    Then put trips switches up individually until you find the circuit that's causing the problem.

cheers

I am at work so cant post a picture but will try and the above advice when I get home

tried everything I could this morning. Went off in the middle of the night so dont know what happened.

any recs for an electrician would be welcome though as if I cant get it working I will need to call someone

thanks

• Advertisement

update - looks like it is the shower that is tripping it.

Any further advice or it is time for an electrician???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Post your findings in the plumbing & heating forum. A lot of expertise on showers there also.

You do know if you turn off the power to your shower that you will then have power for everything else.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

cheers...yes i have power thanks. it is actually the imersion and the switch for that as the shower is really just a pump. I will post in that forum too.

cheers...yes i have power thanks. it is actually the imersion and the switch for that as the shower is really just a pump. I will post in that forum too.

Ok. Just make sure you have the faulty circuit turned off at the consumer unit, in case you have an overheating wire or switch somewhere.

Yeah done that. Thanks a million

just need a find an electrician now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

just need a find an electrician now

A plumber would be a better call for an immersion replacement.

goodness I have no idea

cheers for the advice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Wearb wrote: »
    Ok. Just make sure you have the faulty circuit turned off at the consumer unit, in case you have an overheating wire or switch somewhere.

I would leave the circuit switched on myself.

With the suspected device switched off (immersion) at its local isolator switch, leaving the actual circuit for it on, will show if that is free from possible problems. As in, it will help show that the suspected device is the problem.

With immersion off, run the shower and pump too, to see that they are clear.

Bruthal wrote: »
    I would leave the circuit switched on myself.

With the suspected device switched off (immersion) at its local isolator switch, leaving the actual circuit for it on, will show if that is free from possible problems. As in, it will help show that the suspected device is the problem.

With immersion off, run the shower and pump too, to see that they are clear.

I am sure you know more about that sort of thing than I do.
    My thinking was that in case the switch contacts might be damaged and generating heat.

thanks for all the replies....shower and pump are running ok. Everything in apt is working fine once the switch for the immersion is turned off. Havent tried the washing machine yet but i think it must be the immersion if everything works once it is off..

hopefully have an electrician calling this morn to have a look. I will see what he says. I can live without a washing machine but not without a hot shower

quick update..electrician called and back up and running.

It seems there are 2 elements in the immersion and one went. He got it up and running but did advise that the top element would need to be replaced eventually. the replacement would be tricky due to the location of the tank so didnt want to mess with it.

very cheap and efficient. I actually rent so a big job like that is actually a quesion for the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Wearb wrote: »
    I am sure you know more about that sort of thing than I do.
    My thinking was that in case the switch contacts might be damaged and generating heat.

Overheating switches wouldnt cause RCDs to trip unless it was very badly burnt.

That would most likely be noticed long before it gets to the stage of tripping anything.

Advertisement