Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who's liable for eflow? Me or the dealer?

Options
  • 10-04-2015 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I purchased a car last week from a dealership. Yesterday I received a notice from eflow saying that I owed about €26 in toll charges (including not paying it right away) from driving on the M50. These charges were incurred after the car was registered in my name, but the day before I collected it from the garage. I don't think they were doing anything dodgy with it, it got NCT'd that day, so I assume that's where they were driving. I didn't even take the M50 coming home so I'm 100% it was not me.

Should I have to pay this as it was registered in my name? I don't want a situation were I try to dispute it with the garage and the late fees keep increasing. And thinking about it I don't know if I could prove that I didn't take ownership of the car till the day after.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Getting it off the garage seems like a lot of hassle for E26. I'd just pay it myself and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's €26, you just bought a new car off them, I don't see them quibbling. Best guess is the sales manager will take it out of his pocket there and then, not even worth putting it on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Getting it off the garage seems like a lot of hassle for E26. I'd just pay it myself and be done with it.

Defo get the Garage to pay it, if you didn't use then they should cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I had a query like this for eflow, I rang them and they cleared it there and then so could be worth picking up the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

26 Euro . ... .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Peej255

Yeah, I know it's a small amount, that's why I feel I should just pay it. But also I'm against paying for things I shouldn't have to.
    I'll ring eflow and say it to them, if they won't clear it, and the garage don't offer to just pay it, I'll just pay it myself. It's not even worth the drive to the garage like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

Peej255 wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it's a small amount, that's why I feel I should just pay it. But also I'm against paying for things I shouldn't have to.
    I'll ring eflow and say it to them, if they won't clear it, and the garage don't offer to just pay it, I'll just pay it myself. It's not even worth the drive to the garage like.
    Don't bother ringing E-flow.
    Ring the dealer.
    I'm sure he'll just say "No prob, i'll sort that now...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Thats the thing, between the phone calls and the driving it's hardly worth your time. Maybe just pay it yourself, and send them off an email saying you paid the charges, and ask them to knock it off the price of the next service. If they agree, then you have a record of it and you get your money back eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Pay it, get one of their courtesy cars on your next service, drive a few lengths between Lucan and blanch. Hand back car. Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I purchased a car last week from a dealership. Yesterday I received a notice from eflow saying that I owed about €26 in toll charges (including not paying it right away) from driving on the M50. These charges were incurred after the car was registered in my name, but the day before I collected it from the garage. I don't think they were doing anything dodgy with it, it got NCT'd that day, so I assume that's where they were driving. I didn't even take the M50 coming home so I'm 100% it was not me.

Should I have to pay this as it was registered in my name? I don't want a situation were I try to dispute it with the garage and the late fees keep increasing. And thinking about it I don't know if I could prove that I didn't take ownership of the car till the day after.

Is the car registered for a video account? The €26 bill tallies with 5 return trips charged @€;2.60 each way. That a lot of trips to the NCT centre.
    Sounds to me that either the garage was using your car as a loaner or an employee was taking it home. I'd be asking why the car made 5 return trips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I WISH I was that kind of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭cletus

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Is the car registered for a video account? The €26 bill tallies with 5 return trips charged @€;2.60 each way. That a lot of trips to the NCT centre.
    Sounds to me that either the garage was using your car as a loaner or an employee was taking it home. I'd be asking why the car made 5 return trips.

OP says the amount includes late fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jasonb

slimjimmc wrote: »

OP said that the charges included not paying the tolls right away.

I'd contact the garage, they should happily pay this charge, or give you the money to pay it...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,305 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would contact the dealer and get them to write a letter confirming you only took ownership of the car on the date after the toll incident and they had the car in their full control prior to this and have them name who was driving the car. This will (should) cover you for any other incidents that occured with the car on the toll day, for all you know there may be speeding fines, parking fines and other crimes done on that day. It's wreckless for the dealer to put the date of ownership prior to the collection date. Any dealer I have done business with will either sign the VLC with date on the date of handover or use the new electronic registration to use the date of handover.

I would be more concerned about the potential for points on my licence than the money but out of principle I would insist the dealer pays the fine. I would also visit the dealer and make my feelings known.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring eflow and see if they will void it.
    If not, pay and then ring dealer and try to get a free service or whatever of them for the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

listermint wrote: »
    26 Euro . ... .

Why don't you just send it to the OP so he can pay:D

€26 or €260 - it doesn't matter.

Just because it is a relatively small amount doesn'tt mean it is ok to mount a bill in customer's name?

I would pay and ask the garage to pay it back. It is lkely an oversight and they would have no problem with refunding it.

Would call eflow first to explain the situation, too.

Advertisement