Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Issue

• 10-04-2015 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Hello just a quick bit of advice. I soft reset my 630 and now i have the number 3 on my Phone icon and 3h under my Signal strength i cant remove them any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

You are connected to the "three" network with HDSPA "H" connection type/speed.

O2 are now 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

rgfuller wrote: »
    You are connected to the "three" network with HDSPA "H" connection type/speed.

O2 are now 3.
    Thanks i must have got some update then because that wasn't there before the soft reset. Still waiting on that GDR 1 update as-well or whatever its called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Thanks i must have got some update then because that wasn't there before the soft reset. Still waiting on that GDR 1 update as-well or whatever its called.

Typically those kinds of operators updates aren't very frequent, which is why you only saw it after a soft reset (this caused the phone to refresh its list). It would have eventually happened.

As for Lumia Denim, it should be available soon - I'm not sure why certain networks are dragging their heels.

theothernt wrote: »
    Typically those kinds of operators updates aren't very frequent, which is why you only saw it after a soft reset (this caused the phone to refresh its list). It would have eventually happened.

As for Lumia Denim, it should be available soon - I'm not sure why certain networks are dragging their heels.
    Its so odd with Windows phone that certain phones and operators get these updates first and others are left waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Just so you're aware, Microsoft came up with a way of bypassing them to get the updates out. Just be sure to read the fine print:

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96

• Advertisement

muff03 wrote: »
    Just so you're aware, Microsoft came up with a way of bypassing them to get the updates out. Just be sure to read the fine print:

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96
    I knew of that but there's a fee involved?

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    I knew of that but there's a fee involved?

That is a preview programme for developers and enthusiasts. I can't recommend it if you want a working phone!

Also, there is no programme to get the firmware updates (Lumia Denim, etc) as soon as they're released, we all have to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

No fee involved, but you are bypassing operators so be sure about it before you sign up. Also, this is separate to the Windows 10 Insider program, and only for Windows Phone 8 updates.

Again, just be sure. Never had a problem using it myself with the last 2+ years

And correct, you won't get denim with this.

muff03 wrote: »
    No fee involved, but you are bypassing operators so be sure about it before you sign up. Also, this is separate to the Windows 10 Insider program, and only for Windows Phone 8 updates.

Again, just be sure. Never had a problem using it myself with the last 2+ years

And correct, you won't get denim with this.

Thanks pretty close to buying a Moto G anyway maybe wait till Windows 10 hits not feeling my whole Microsoft experience anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

theothernt wrote: »
    That is a preview programme for developers and enthusiasts. I can't recommend it if you want a working phone!

Also, there is no programme to get the firmware updates (Lumia Denim, etc) as soon as they're released, we all have to wait.
    The Preview for Developers program is to get the final version of a Windows 8.x update without waiting for it to go through the Carrier / Network testing process. These are the final versions of the OS Update and should have no problems on your phone, and generally can be used by anyone without a fee. (Of course, there may be some fringe case and Microsoft highlight these risks in their T&Cs for the program, but most issues could be recovered using the Lumia Software Restore Tool)

The Windows Insider program is a different kettle of fish altogether. This is to get pre-release builds of Windows 10 on your Windows Phone: These builds are not final and will contain bugs or inconsistencies in the UI experience and as a result should only be installed by someone who is willing to live with unfinished software and perhaps frequent app crashes or hangs.

Some people mistakenly sign up for the Windows Insider program expecting the same level of polish as they experienced on the Preview for Developers program and assume that Windows 10 is just broken.

As you say, there is no way to get the Hardware firmware (e.g. Lumia Denim) any sooner - unless you have a SIM-Free / country variant phone, rather than tied to a specific Mobile Network.

• Advertisement

unless you have a SIM-Free / country variant phone, rather than tied to a specific Mobile Network.

Annoyingly, the unlocked/unbranded (Carrier variant: GBIE) phones don't get firmware updates first - we're usually last in a region?!

Advertisement