Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's Americanized date format

Options
  • 10-04-2015 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that eircom's email has US style date format. eg 11/29/2014. I never noticed this before. I contacted them and they said that there was nothing they could do but maybe I could change it myself! When I asked her how she didn't really know. She knew less about how to solve it than I do.

I find the American format off putting. Can it be changed to our format: day/month/year? and if so does anyone know if I can do it myself? Is it complicated?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, speaking to an operator, it's very likely not something they'll be able to comment on, nor their manager.

A lot of data setups that I've seen tend to have date formats hard set to the regional settings of the service or the servers in use. They may have that dependant on other services within their setup that the data has to relate to.

I've even seen some weird things between VBS and Excel, where VBS seems to only work with US formats and ignores anything it can't make fit it. If their data can only be controlled with the dates in a US format, that's all it's going to be.

There can be more to it than just switching the days and months around in how it's displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Do you mean the date when viewed on webmail?

If so then it is most likely your browser settings as if I view mine it shows in normal format as do the emails when downloaded by my email client.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The new webmail system uses the EU schema.

TI2mJSF.png

Either youve set something webmail, are using the old system(maybe, dont remember it being that way) or its your own client doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

OP you mean Americanised, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

degsie wrote: »
    OP you mean Americanised, right?

Yes.
    Any ideas on how to sort it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

just enjoy the date the way god intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes.
    Any ideas on how to sort it?

Just replace 'z' with 's' ;)

degsie wrote: »
    Just replace 'z' with 's' ;)

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why?

He's being facetious

mordeith wrote: »
    He's being facetious

Am well aware. No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure the computers region settings are configured correctly on the system. The email application Eircom are using may detect them via the web browser.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Overheal wrote: »
    just enjoy the date the way god intended.

You've been in that bible belt over there way too long :p

Advertisement