Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build Price

Options
  • 10-04-2015 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Has anyone here self build (builder doing all the work )in the last 12-24 month. What did it actually end up costing in the end with the size of the house?

Did you get a quantity surveyor first to look at your plan? is it worth my while doing it?

My house plans are 2,600 sq ft. Do you think there would be much difference in price if i lowered my plans to 2,400.??

If anyone has any comments i would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tmorris

Hi Louise, we are in the same position. Self build story and half 2300 sq ft.. So far have planning gone through just starting to get prices now to get mortgage .

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

You need a qs to review the drawings with you to arrive at a cost.
    If you drop 200 sq foot from your permitted development you will need a new permission.

People really should have their design costed before seeking permission for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

You need a qs to review the drawings with you to arrive at a cost.
    If you drop 200 sq foot from your permitted development you will need a new permission.

People really should have their design costed before seeking permission for it.

Or apply for retention once built.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And take the risk of a refusal. Best to seek planning beforehand.

... striding confidently into the 1980s there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

mod note: We obey the planning laws in this forum, please read the forum charter before posting again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Louise1987 wrote: »
    Has anyone here self build (builder doing all the work )in the last 12-24 month. What did it actually end up costing in the end with the size of the house?

Did you get a quantity surveyor first to look at your plan? is it worth my while doing it?

My house plans are 2,600 sq ft. Do you think there would be much difference in price if i lowered my plans to 2,400.??

If anyone has any comments i would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Have you found a Design Certifier and Assigned Certifier first, who's prepared to sign off on a self build ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

galwaytt wrote: »
    Have you found a Design Certifier and Assigned Certifier first, who's prepared to sign off on a self build ??

Do you think it's highly unlikely with the new regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sitevalue

I'd love to know what square foot costs are like

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tmorris

We have just found an AC to sign off on our self build. Anybody know how much block work would cost for 2300 sq ft house? Approx?

• Advertisement

I won't say 'highly', but it won't be straightforward, and expect to pay well for it - after all, you're asking them to sign off 'your' work..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

There is very little housebuilding happening.

So you will find that

a) certifiers will grab your arm off seeking the work.

or

b) certifiers are not taking on this work - at any cost/fee.

There is very little housebuilding happening.

So you will find that

a) certifiers will grab your arm off seeking the work.

or

b) certifiers are not taking on this work - at any cost/fee.

I'm finding b) the most common reply tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

you must have asked the wrong people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Funny at the start of this this was my experience too, ive had about 5-10 jobs for one off houses in the last 3 months all self build and the architects/engineers have no problem signing off. Might be got to do with the fact the building in the Limerick/Clare region isn't a prevalent and lads are looking for work.

Advertisement