Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarms, wired or wireless?

Options
  • 10-04-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi guys

Newbie here. I have been trying to read some of your posts but there is a lot of info in there. So I am going to ask what will probably seem like very stupid questions.

I have a house that is a bit 'isolated', looking onto a river. 20 openings in total, 8 upstairs and 12 downstairs. We have been broken into twice during renovations. We're going to put in electric gates and fence the whole perimeter but I am also looking for an alarm of course. I have been getting quotes recently. 900 for a wired one, monitoring for 180eur p/y plus vat. A certain company (I am probably not allowed to mention names??) is saying that wireless is better, they are installing this for 699 with 4 motion sensors, 3 downstairs and one upstairs. The thing is, during renovations, I asked the mec&elec guy to wire the whole house so all the openings are now wired for a wired alarm as opposed to a wireless one. Which one is better? Also another guy has given me a more competitive quoted for wired (699eur) but he was looking for a upc connexion, which we have but obviously that means that I am tied to upc for the foreseeable? Any help anybody? I am a bit lost about all this to be honest.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Iristxo wrote: »
    Hi guys

Newbie here. I have been trying to read some of your posts but there is a lot of info in there. So I am going to ask what will probably seem like very stupid questions.

I have a house that is a bit 'isolated', looking onto a river. 20 openings in total, 8 upstairs and 12 downstairs. We have been broken into twice during renovations. We're going to put in electric gates and fence the whole perimeter but I am also looking for an alarm of course. I have been getting quotes recently. 900 for a wired one, monitoring for 180eur p/y plus vat. A certain company (I am probably not allowed to mention names??) is saying that wireless is better, they are installing this for 699 with 4 motion sensors, 3 downstairs and one upstairs. The thing is, during renovations, I asked the mec&elec guy to wire the whole house so all the openings are now wired for a wired alarm as opposed to a wireless one. Which one is better? Also another guy has given me a more competitive quoted for wired (699eur) but he was looking for a upc connexion, which we have but obviously that means that I am tied to upc for the foreseeable? Any help anybody? I am a bit lost about all this to be honest.

Thanks in advance

We are not allowed give out pricing.

If your home is wired or can be wired I would go down this route. Both types, wired and wire free will work the same but with wire free detectors you will need to replace batteries.

Motion detectors are used as a back up to any system so protecting the windows and doors (perimeter protection) is a safer option. Its better to know an intruder is trying to gain entry as opposed to them being in for the internal motion to set off your alarm. These type of installs are cheaper but are offering a false sense of security.

You would need to find out what he is using the UPC connection for be that a voice, text or an app.

There is also a good thread here re the apps available to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP if you are getting the house wired anyway, go with a perimeter wired system with a few internal beams just as back up.

As Altor says, as wonderful and all as wireless is, all the detectors need batteries to function and they don't last forever.

Did that installer give any specific reason as to why he chose UPC, just that when the electricity is off their boxes no longer provide telephone line connections to alarm systems, eventhough the alarm is battery backed up to work during power cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Op you could also wire for 12v smoke/ heat and co2 detectors .. You'll be notified should they trigger which is much better then stand alone detectors. + 1 for the extra beams, wireless is excellent but you have to change batteries every couple of years which can be pricey. Also try get them to wire for each detector individually or else you'll end up with zones being looped " front windows" back windows" ect .

Advertisement