Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to upgrade my GPU and CPU for the witcher 3

Options
  • 10-04-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hey!

So basically I just checked my specs against the Wither 3 and unfortunately I need an upgrade in both of the above departments. My original hope was to upgrade just the GPU and buy dual monitors but I'm really going to want to play the new game so I've put the monitors on hold and am instead upgrading my CPU.

You can find my current build below.

Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3
    Graphics card: Radeon HD6850
    CPU: Intel Core i3 processor (2120), 3.3ghz, 3mb cache
    PSU: XFX 550W PSU
    RAM: 2* 4gb

I'm just looking for some suggestions or what you would buy.

My budget is around €300 and I am not really confident in overclocking or anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Hey!

So basically I just checked my specs against the Wither 3 and unfortunately I need an upgrade in both of the above departments. My original hope was to upgrade just the GPU and buy dual monitors but I'm really going to want to play the new game so I've put the monitors on hold and am instead upgrading my CPU.

You can find my current build below.

Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3
    Graphics card: Radeon HD6850
    CPU: Intel Core i3 processor (2120), 3.3ghz, 3mb cache
    PSU: XFX 550W PSU
    RAM: 2* 4gb

I'm just looking for some suggestions or what you would buy.

My budget is around €300 and I am not really confident in overclocking or anything like that.

When is it out? I thought it was a good while more. I would wait until just before release, you will likely get more bang for your buck then for the graphics card. Could keep an eye out for a cheap quad in the meantime , 3470, or 3570 etc. I got a 3570 on eBay previously about 115 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Lu Tze wrote: »
    When is it out? I thought it was a good while more. I would wait until just before release, you will likely get more bang for your buck then for the graphics card. Could keep an eye out for a cheap quad in the meantime , 3470, or 3570 etc. I got a 3570 on eBay previously about 115 delivered

May 19th ... I guess that is still a bit away. It just seems so close because I still have to play through 1 and 2. But the series itself has been recommended highly to me by a number of friends.

Is buying second hand really a good idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

NVIDIA are giving away a copy of The Witcher 3 with their GTX 900 range.
    You could buy a GTX970 for around 400 euro.
    Sell your current card and not having to pay for the game will keep you under your 300 budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

May 19th ... I guess that is still a bit away. It just seems so close because I still have to play through 1 and 2. But the series itself has been recommended highly to me by a number of friends.

Its the risk you take, buying anything second hand, but new prices dont seem to drop all that much, even when they have moved on to a new socket.On hardwareversand at the moment they are still 180+. Occasionally there are quads on CEX, and they offer some kind of warranty i believe.

You could just upgrade the graphics card for now (as suggested above), and see if you processor bottlenecks the performance, it may not, or not enough to make any noticeable difference.

What resolution is your monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That's hopefully only a couple of weeks before AMD launch their next line of cards.

Be worth waiting a few weeks to see what that does to the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Cex give like 70euro voucher for that card you could easily pick up a 280 or 280x then for around 100 euro then you have 200 left over to upgrade to a quad core i5.

Advertisement