Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning a hard drive

Options
  • 10-04-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I have a server running server 2003 and the hard drive partition with the OS is too small. I bought driveclone and used it to make a clone of the C drive onto a new 500gb drive that's labeled F.

So I have some question on how to proceed.

Can I just take out the old hard drive and boot to F?
    Will the F label cause problems? Can I relabel it as C?
    I do need to keep using the old hard drive as the second partition on it has all the data. Should I boot to the new hard drive and just wipe the old C and put the old hard drive back in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Should be no need to remove old disk (disk1)
    Make sure disk with f: (disk 2) has the cloned partition marked as active.
    Reboot, and in bios (tap del, or f2 or f1 during boot, need more info for better help than that), make disk 2 (500gb) first boot instead of disk 1.
    If os starts from disk 2, open disk management tool, and note that system is on a disk of its own. it should be C: already.

Advertisement