Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I haven't even met the Trapper yet but here's a list of everything you can have made by them and what you need.

https://i.redd.it/kvxgrbtsx3w11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I wish there wasn't so much riding involved. Seems like you have to ride 5 minutes to every mission. Then could be another 5 to another mission and then another 5 to that mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Are the legendary fish worth catching?

Got a cool Viking helmet tonight, goes with Arthur's now fine lumberjack beard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was very much looking forward to this game and I've played about 6/7 hours of it so far. It is extraordinarily impressive in terms of scale, detail, atmosphere and just how much there is to do. It's nuts. You really do feel like each time you set out from camp that anything could happen and you never know where you'll end up. But at the same time I'm starting to realise... I just couldn't be fucking arsed.
    I couldn't be arsed washing. Couldn't be arsed shaving. Couldn't be arsed doing DIY on the camp. Couldn't be arsed changing my clothes. Couldn't be arsed having to regularly eat. Couldn't be arsed brushing down my horse. Couldn't be arsed crafting shit. Couldn't be arsed being nice. Couldn't be arsed stopping to take it all in. Couldn't be arsed having to take care of things. Couldn't be arsed dealing with lads starting on me and then I get into crap with the law. Couldn't be arsed with the desperate controls. Couldn't be arsed with more convoluted explanations of basic systems than Dark Souls.
    Most of all I couldn't be arsed taking time out of real life... To pretend that I'm back in a sort of real life.
    Now, I'm pretty sure I'd have been obsessed with this game when I was in college around the time of the first game but now... Just be fun please. Tell me a story and have responsive controls. Do something a little new, instead of just adding copious amounts of micromanaging.

To be fair a lot of those sentiments are probably because I just finished God of War the day before this came out which I thought was a wonderfully coherent and satisfying piece of work (although it did have an excessive loot problem) but yeah... So far, I couldn't be arsed.

I'll keep playing cos there's a good chance I'll get past all that once things make proper sense in my head and I start enjoying it, but at the moment playing the game kinda feels like a second job.
    Whilst I'm not quite as frustrated with it as you seem to be, cause I do enjoy a good RPG experience, You're not wrong. This is a 7/10 game for me cause of all the busy work at the expense of making a more fun and free-flowing game. I'm enjoying it, sure as hell looking forward to the online part of it, but people seem to have lost all objectivity in critiquing it just because the world is so impressive and immersive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just found out you need to actual read all those pamphlets that teach you new crafting, not enough to just buy them.

Just open the first one and use the left and right button to go through them until it pops up for each.

Just noticed I've been riding around on a new horse when I was notified bonding increased. Had my saddle on it and everything so no idea what happened to roach :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Varik wrote: »
    Just found out you need to actual read all those pamphlets that teach you new crafting, not enough to just buy them.

Just open the first one and use the left and right button to go through them until it pops up for each.

You should read the thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Want to have my satchel upgraded so need various pelts. Elk seem to be fairly rare. I played a couple of hours today and it was mostly trying to find and hunt Elk unsuccessfully. Mostly ended up coming across bounty hunters and either being killed by them or killing them and further increasing the bounty.

If I kill them all, how is there anyone to report it and my bounty rises?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Just noticed I've been riding around on a new horse when I was notified bonding increased. Had my saddle on it and everything so no idea what happened to roach :mad:

Probably back in Novigrad

• Advertisement

doylefe wrote: »
    Want to have my satchel upgraded so need various pelts. Elk seem to be fairly rare. I played a couple of hours today and it was mostly trying to find and hunt Elk unsuccessfully. Mostly ended up coming across bounty hunters and either being killed by them or killing them and further increasing the bounty.

If I kill them all, how is there anyone to report it and my bounty rises?

Head into higher ground for Elk. The game is coded that way there doesn't have to be anyone around!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You should read the thread!

Don't have time for all that, but here's something else.

Press down on the D pad while aiming and you actually use that scope you spent money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Shiminay wrote: »
    Whilst I'm not quite as frustrated with it as you seem to be, cause I do enjoy a good RPG experience, You're not wrong. This is a 7/10 game for me cause of all the busy work at the expense of making a more fun and free-flowing game. I'm enjoying it, sure as hell looking forward to the online part of it, but people seem to have lost all objectivity in critiquing it just because the world is so impressive and immersive.

Surely the whole point of a game is to be absorbing and immersive at the end of the day? It might not be packed with 'fun' in the way most games try to be but for me the scale, attention to detail and atmosphere alone are worth the price.

Reminds me a bit of Shenmue in a way, plenty of games out there with better mechanics but I can lose hours just existing in the world, there's very few games out there that create a genuinely believable world on this scale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Its a pitty you can't hitch a horse to a wagon thats not in use. Or use a wagon to carry more large pelts.

In fact they missed alot in what we could have done with wagons...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally decided to push on with the story and have arrived at chapter 3. Can't see my playtime but I'm guessing it's A LOT and I've loved every minute. I haven't done much hunting at all so no man-purse upgrades for me yet. I think I'd find it tedious at the moment trying to get perfect pelts so focusing on other parts of the game. You could definitely do with an item chest to store the crap you're not using at the moment and put away some money for a rainy day. I'm carrying around 1400 and kinda nervous something will happen it.

One thing I noticed is the night cycle seems really short. I headed into valentine one evening, circled around the town on house before heading to the saloon for a game of poker. By the 2nd hand, it was dawn. Such a pity as there was a great atmosphere during the night, wish it lasted longer.

Varik wrote: »
    Don't have time for all that, but here's something else.

Press down on the D pad while aiming and you actually use that scope you spent money on.

Okay sure but how are you supposed to know if you are posting stuff that has not already been posted? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

1Y5CHkM.jpg?1

The sky at night in the game is beautiful. I always look up to the sky to see the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

For people having issues with the bounty hunters and surprise attacks, you'll usually get an audio que just before it happens. The pump action shotgun combined with deadeye means as soon as you hear the que, you're close enough to destroy with the pump action. Also worth riding off to the side of the road and letting them follow you, so you can loot in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Guys what’s the story with the weather in the game, is it influenced by seasons or just completely random? I’m wondering because you can dress for warm/cooler weather but how do you know what weather to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Calltocall wrote: »
    Guys what’s the story with the weather in the game, is it influenced by seasons or just completely random? I’m wondering because you can dress for warm/cooler weather but how do you know what weather to expect?
    Not to sure to be honest, currently I am in warmer area so just in shirt and waste coat.
    I got caught out and didn’t take the advice here in packing a winter set on my horse.
    Had a mission high up in the snow and and I was frozen.
    Where we are now seems to have a lot of warm weather but a lot of thunderstorms and heavy rain.
    So I recon it depends on location more than seasonal.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Calltocall wrote: »

It's based on the region of the map you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

you can put different outfits into your saddle for weather. can't figure out how to take them out cos the game only explains so much. if the game was a person i'd shoot it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you can put different outfits into your saddle for weather. can't figure out how to take them out cos the game only explains so much. if the game was a person i'd shoot it

This was explained when they show you how to brush/feed the horse. Bring up the weapon wheel while on the horse, and cycle over to the horse items menu. You can chose clothes there (from the section at the 6 o’clock position, I think).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can add/remove outfits to your horse in wardrobe > outfits. I think you need to add the outfit to saved outfits before adding it your horse. It’s quite confusing and possibly bugged as it took me a few tries to do it successfully. It would have been simpler if you could just add two jackets to your horse that Arthur automatically pulled on or off depending on the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

When you are at camp go to where you change clothes, there will be a saddle marker beside the one that's stored, press x(on xbox) to unselect it and then go to the one you want and press x to select that one.. you need to take the one you have stored in the saddle out before you can select another one..

To change, go to horse in the items reel and I think it's the bottom one, cant remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Has anyone else found that the amount of outfits they can store on their horse has increased? I used to only be able to store 3 but now I can store 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

shrewdness wrote: »
    Has anyone else found that the amount of outfits they can store on their horse has increased? I used to only be able to store 3 but now I can store 5.

Did you upgrade the saddlebags? That increases it.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Shiminay wrote: »

Surely the whole point of a game is to be absorbing and immersive at the end of the day? It might not be packed with 'fun' in the way most games try to be but for me the scale, attention to detail and atmosphere alone are worth the price.

Reminds me a bit of Shenmue in a way, plenty of games out there with better mechanics but I can lose hours just existing in the world, there's very few games out there that create a genuinely believable world on this scale

I think the "whole point of a game" is completely subjective. For me the main reason I play a game is to have fun and I'm sure the same goes for many others.

Whilst I'm enjoying the game the lengths the game goes to to be immersive and realistic actually pull me out of the experience. The animations are so realistic, and complex at times that I the smallest of tasks become overly arduous to the point where I just put the pad down.

Realism over convenience is a deal breaker for a lot of people. I'm having much better time with AC Odyssey due to the fact that it's fun to play and interacting with the world isn't a chore. This in turn makes the game more immersive for me because the convenience of the control scheme and navigation systems etc make means I play and lose myself in it for far longer than I do RDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Hogtied the trapper and then flung a few throwing knives into his skull because he was getting fresh with me, now anytime I ride up to him he runs off, anyone know is this permanent, it's been a few days now :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

How the feeling of progression and getting lost in the world in this game? Comparing to say The Witcher 3, which has a myriad of interesting things to do all over map and you kind of get lost in the world

Advertisement