Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

J. Marston wrote: »
    In chapter 3, anyone have that chat with Tilly by the river where she asks you how you are really doing?
    Arthur said he was feeling crazy. He's been killing too many people, innocent people too.

Is that a dynamic thing based on your playstyle?

I've had a couple of these chats as well and they felt jarring since I hadn't done anything to really justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Lads you can just discard anything in your satchel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Also, question about dogs...was studying a few night. Bluehound or something came up as good hunter dogs, able to sniff out badgers...another dog was good at finding bison... wonder can we have them as companions?? probably not i guess but thought it strange that in their description they singled out animals they can track...:confused::confused::)

You can use dogs to hunt in the game? Wa??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

ERG89 wrote: »
    The game does such a bad job explaining small mechanics like this even with the snail pace of the first chapter; it just makes everything more confusing than it needs to be. I only discovered this stalking a deer for the camp as Dutch & Co. have spent ages pissing about at nothing. I kept walking and the horse just stayed following.
    This! They've put too many mechanics into the game that they've tried very hard to explain in the early chapters but with the information overload, you'll forget. Hence me dying about 30 times in a duel last night whilst trying to figure the mechanics out or all the folks not realising that premium cigarettes had the collectible cards (I was lucky because I met the stranger who gives you the quest early on and he explains this). It wasn't at all obvious that I should be using a long whistle to get the horse to follow me until I read it here a few pages back too.

It's a 7/10 game in a 10/10 game world for me. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the multiplayer having seen the way GTA V went. There are tons of prime locations for setting up your own gang's camp and upgrading it. It's also useful that they've set up certain missions as being 2, 3 or 4 player in nature for when they bring that into the Multiplayer too. The Heists in GTA V always requiring 4 players meant I never got to finish them cause I ended up having to try it with random gobshites who were either developmentally challenged or just griefing with the number of times they kept fucking things up, so I'm glad to see that between that and the various criminal gang enterprises such as the biker gang or warehouse stuff in GTA, they'll have learned a few lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Two questions folks

1. I have a load of rings\watches - where can I fence\sell these?
    2. Will there be an Undead version of RDR2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Two questions folks

1. I have a load of rings\watches - where can I fence\sell these?
    2. Will there be an Undead version of RDR2?

Keep the special metals like indian rings and stuff - you'll need them for crafting.

Fence the rest at.... the fence..
    (one in emerald ranch if you have done enough missions to unlock it)

Shiminay wrote: »
    This! They've put too many mechanics into the game that they've tried very hard to explain in the early chapters but with the information overload, you'll forget. Hence me dying about 30 times in a duel last night whilst trying to figure the mechanics out or all the folks not realising that premium cigarettes had the collectible cards (I was lucky because I met the stranger who gives you the quest early on and he explains this). It wasn't at all obvious that I should be using a long whistle to get the horse to follow me until I read it here a few pages back too.

It's a 7/10 game in a 10/10 game world for me. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the multiplayer having seen the way GTA V went. There are tons of prime locations for setting up your own gang's camp and upgrading it. It's also useful that they've set up certain missions as being 2, 3 or 4 player in nature for when they bring that into the Multiplayer too. The Heists in GTA V always requiring 4 players meant I never got to finish them cause I ended up having to try it with random gobshites who were either developmentally challenged or just griefing with the number of times they kept fucking things up, so I'm glad to see that between that and the various criminal gang enterprises such as the biker gang or warehouse stuff in GTA, they'll have learned a few lessons.

Hopefully hunting would be much easier in a group setting with a take for a gang. I'd imagine that's how it will be anyway. Bring down a Legendary bear while your buddy is off getting a moose, bringing it back to camp gives the group the unlocks for the gear and stuff. Would be great if they fully implement a shared loot for a crew or have leagues and stuff for fully open world maps. Taking out a rival gang completely would make them start over at the end of league in a lower division, or have some sort of points system for taking on a crews hideout.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can use dogs to hunt in the game? Wa??

No but if you study a dog their description makes it sound like you can. Maybe it will be something you can do in the online mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

**** sake, the You tuber who posted a video of himself in RD punching that suffragette got his account banned for promoting violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Varik wrote: »
    **** sake, the You tuber who posted a video of himself in RD punching that suffragette got his account banned for promoting violence.

For ****s sake if that’s the case they will have to pull all the videos...it’s a violent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Typical, a game like Red Dead Redemption where the character you play as is a killer, a thief and does all sort of violent things, and yet the one thing they choose to focus on is the video of a player punching a suffragette. It seems a bit much to be banning an account for just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

harr wrote: »
    For ****s sake if that’s the case they will have to pull all the videos...it’s a violent game.

Yeah, but the video was titled something like "Punching a feminist in the face in RDR2". It's not like it was a random video where he happened to do that, he highlighted it in the title.

A bit much to get his account suspended maybe, but I was a bit disgusted when I saw that title myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I hope there's no evidence of my trying to shoot that arabian horse, couldn't even do that right. The minute I get it we're off to the glue factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Standman wrote: »
    Yeah, but the video was titled something like "Punching a feminist in the face in RDR2". It's not like it was a random video where he happened to do that, he highlighted it in the title.

A bit much to get his account suspended maybe, but I was a bit disgusted when I saw that title myself.
    Far enough , hope they don’t find the one where someone threw a Petrol bomb at her.
    Another one that was a bit much was the one where the player only was killing women and old people.

It's a snowflake world

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sucked off a guy after he was bitten nd he let me buy anything in the shop so I bought the most expensive thing :cool:

Wonder if that cancels out honour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Sucked off a guy after he was bitten nd he let me buy anything in the shop so I bought the most expensive thing :cool:

Wonder if that cancels out honour

I'll flip if you got a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's a 7/10 game in a 10/10 game world for me. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the multiplayer having seen the way GTA V went. There are tons of prime locations for setting up your own gang's camp and upgrading it. It's also useful that they've set up certain missions as being 2, 3 or 4 player in nature for when they bring that into the Multiplayer too.

I really want to enjoy the game but its just not GOTY material for me; there has been an absolute stunning amount of effort clearly gone into the game world with so much detail and intricate little mechanic people never considered but to play it's still held back in much the same way GTA IV was when it was released in which it sacrifices potential fun for a realism. I kinda enjoy the PS2 era Rockstar more than the modern in a way arts driven one. I've only put in 20 hours but that's how I feel so far.
    Standman wrote: »
    Yeah, but the video was titled something like "Punching a feminist in the face in RDR2".

Is it bad that YouTube recommended me that video based on my history of looking at Red Dead Redemption 2 content :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I haven’t played much more than a couple of hours so far, but will finally set aside a few long stretches after the weekend. That said, I’m deeply ambivalent about what I’ve played thus far.

You can see every cent poured into its production. As a technical achievement, it’s likely the most accomplished ever made - just the sheer level of detail is pretty remarkable. But for the marvellous engineering behind it, I just don’t think it’s been given the substance of purpose to justify the staff hours poured into it.

My biggest problem is that it feels like the same game Rockstar has been making for more than a decade now. In particular it feels like a spiritual successor to GTAIV. Obviously the Rockstar formula is a success for a reason - mainly thanks to the sheer lavishness of the productions - but this definitely feels like it’s stale. Many of the new additions feel half-baked, like the camp mechanics. The strictly orchestrated mission design remains actively in conflict with the dynamic systems out in the world.

TBH, much of the much-touted realism feels like you’re just manipulating health bars and menus than anything more substantial. Then again, I’m a cynic when it comes to ‘realism’ - don’t at all think it’s what most games should be striving for, but that’s a long tangent ;)

I do like how unhurried it is compared to many of its open world contemporaries - that it strives to be ‘not particularly fun’ is a trait I actually admire. There are definite moments of wit and surprise dotted around the place - little incidents you just stumble across.

True, I’m playing it after Return of the Obra Dinn - which was a game of such imagination and focus that it reignited my enthusiasm for the medium. This couldn’t hope to compete, much like Horizon couldn’t compete with BotW. I’m also willing to give this a good bit more time to see if it settles any better. But at the moment I’m playing an incredible, peerless tech achievement - but as a game it just hasn’t really made much impact on me just yet. We’ll see what the next dozen hours has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is it bad that YouTube recommended me that video based on my history of looking at Red Dead Redemption 2 content :o

Same as myself sure :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's not that the guy posted a video, it's that he posted a video of himself punching a woman in the face *because* she was a suffragette. That's not ok. Replace suffragette with "civil rights activist" or simply "black person" and ask is it ok? This is a game that doesn't remove honour score if you find and kill the KKK meetings, so it's pretty clear which side of these things Rockstar stands on despite giving you ample opportunity to be a hateful prick.

The protagonist and his gang are clearly having a difficult time with their choice of life (I'm only at chapter 4, so maybe that will change dramatically), but the entire game is clearly an examination of the founding of the modern day USA and how it's post-civil war roots were what lead us to the state that the country is in right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'll flip if you got a gun.

I did the same and got the most expensive outift in the shop.

If any has done Archeology For Beginners in Chapter 6
    go back and do it again but don't kill any of the guards!

So I helped free a guys leg from a trap he set. I was hoping to get a nice reward in the shape of a new firearm. I ended up settling for a tin of peaches.

dulux99 wrote: »
    I did the same and got the most expensive outift in the shop.

I sucked venom out of two peoples legs. No fancy outfits or guns were available for me. Oh no sir no! I had to settle for bullets.

I saved three lives and all I got for it was a stinking tin of peaches and two boxes of bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I didn't redeem my freebie in Annesburg for a new gun as they didn't have anything worth buying and anything good was locked.

I haven't been up there in ages, I wonder will the freebie still be there for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Do you need to kill the legendary animals cleanly or can I pump shot gun them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hunting a panther in southern Lemoyne. I have a saved game right where it's spawning so I can keep reloading to try and get it. He/She is 5-0 so far.

Edit: Got the fúcker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

J. Marston wrote: »
    Hunting a panther in southern Lemoyne. I have a saved game right where it's spawning so I can keep reloading to try and get it. He/She is 5-0 so far.

Edit: Got the fúcker.

Must head down there for one.

Looking for a badger right now, going all around the area the maps show that has them but no sign.

Advertisement