Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Drexel wrote: »
    How do you stay up on a wild horse. I'm trying to get the Arabian horse by the frozen lake but I can't see to stay up on him for long. The instructions don't see to make much sense either

You pull down on left stick in the opposite direction the horse is throwing you, try to keep the character in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Just stumbled across the Murfree broods cave , some sick ****s in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

harr wrote: »
    Just stumbled across the Murfree broods cave , some sick ****s in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Might be controversial but I'm starting to get fed up with the game. There's a hundred annoying little niggles from the poor and unresponsive controls, to the shooting, to the long and dull travelling. It feels like it's sprawling in a million different directions at the same time as a game and could have used a decent editor.

I played the first Red Dead Redemption at the start of the year and I honestly think it's a better game. It's tighter and more focused and in the moment to moment gameplay, is more fun.

Finally on to chapter 6, wasn't a fan of 5 to be honest. It really is worth doing the side missions in 6 though especially the ones you need high honor.
    the one with Edith Downs shows Arthurs health and remorse
    I'd say thats likely why it's on the map as opposed to only showing up if you get close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally on to chapter 6, wasn't a fan of 5 to be honest. It really is worth doing the side missions in 6 though especially the ones you need high honor.
    the one with Edith Downs shows Arthurs health and remorse
    I'd say thats likely why it's on the map as opposed to only showing up if you get close.

I'm a bit into chapter 6, I really liked the money lending mission in that, really worth doing.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm a bit into chapter 6, I really liked the money lending mission in that, really worth doing.

One of the ones I did was a consequence of previous one of those.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I actually really disliked those particular chapter 6 side missions and am planning to skip them on my current play through. They just didn't fit with the character as I tried to play him. Thankfully they are optional.

I actually really disliked those particular chapter 6 side missions and am planning to skip them on my current play through. They just didn't fit with the character as I tried to play him. Thankfully they are optional.

You can't opt out of him
    getting TB though
    I'm not finished yet but I'm pretty sure thats a
    death sentence for Arthur
    and would have an effect on his state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Might be controversial but I'm starting to get fed up with the game. There's a hundred annoying little niggles from the poor and unresponsive controls, to the shooting, to the long and dull travelling. It feels like it's sprawling in a million different directions at the same time as a game and could have used a decent editor.

I played the first Red Dead Redemption at the start of the year and I honestly think it's a better game. It's tighter and more focused and in the moment to moment gameplay, is more fun.

I thought the first game was better too. Story was more tight and mechanics felt more in sync. The characters in RDR2 are pretty good but they were largely polished already, the story gets a bit straining at times vis a vis Dutch and constant moving. It eventually feels like you want to get it over with so you can concentrate on the other elements of the game more. I did really enjoy the epilogue though, that was nicely done.

The controls are stiff in RDR2 though. The 'synthesis' of movement and shooting isn't quite right or fluid enough. This aspect was extremely precise in RDR and there was a really steep learning curve in mastering both movement and shooting. Equally different weapons felt more purposeful for this. In RDR2 it didnt seem to make a damn difference which rifle I used other than how it might damage a pelt, in the original it mattered a great deal - the bolt action rifle was amazing. Control for things like dynamite and molotovs is very stiff also.

I was a crackshot in RDR Multiplayer, one of my favourite ever multiplayer games (probably with Battlefield 3 and R6 Siege) and there was a ton of great game modes and deep customisation too. I'm looking forward to the release of RDR2 multiplayer, but my expectations are tempered.

• Advertisement

The chapter 6 side stuff is playing out nicely for my character. I finished the money lending one by
    kicking Strauss out of the camp,
    didn't see that coming. Not sure if it ends different if you have low honour?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can't opt out of him
    getting TB though
    I'm not finished yet but I'm pretty sure thats a
    death sentence for Arthur
    and would have an effect on his state of mind.

I know, I meant just
    the money lending and Edith Downes side missions in chapter 6
    which are optional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You’re certainly not alone.

While the game has things to appreciate, I find much of it a tedious bore. Thinking about why, I keep coming back to the missions. At this stage, I think Rockstar’s approach is pretty much archaic - the same-old approach of ‘choose an icon, go there, engage in fairly linear mission’ is a relic. The campaign is robbed of forward momentum, because the player never quite knows whether a mission will be filler or something to meaningfully progress things (by the sounds of it, that improves somewhat later on). It doesn’t help, of course, that many of the missions are unimaginative and regress to the same old clunky gunfights. Not to mention the long stretches of just following other characters, which always feels off and irritating,

The recent Spider-Man game doesn’t boast a whole lot to write home about beyond being ‘pretty goodm, but I quite appreciated how it had a pacy, engaging and focused main campaign - while the open world junk got in the way at times, it was fairly focused by genre standards and actually benefited from it. While the tone and approach of RDR2 is very different - and, as I said before, its unhurried attitude is to be admired in some respects - I wish progressing the story didn’t feel like such a laborious chore. Only the occasional mission, like the raucous night in the pub, offers a welcome surprise. I stress I’m still early on all things considered, but pretty concerned I’m already feeling the repetition of the missions.

Not that I find the open world particularly exciting or interesting to explore either, mind you - while there’s welcome flourishes and scattered curiosities to discover (not to mention the sheer technical spectacle of the thing), I’m still left waiting for some of the more ingenious design decisions and general philosophy of Breath of the Wild to filter out into other games. Infrequently here I encounter random scripted incidents or moments of neat emergent gameplay - but I wish they’d focused more on that.

Think Mark Brown gets much of it dead (eye) on here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/thoughts-on-red-22570692

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The chapter 6 side stuff is playing out nicely for my character. I finished the money lending one by
    kicking Strauss out of the camp,
    didn't see that coming. Not sure if it ends different if you have low honour?
    I know, I meant just
    the money lending and Edith Downes side missions in chapter 6
    which are optional.
    The interesting thing for me in regards to the money lending missions, is that Arthur's wife and son were killed because of a €10 debt. I feel like that also should have played a factor in Arthur's change of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Annd9

Riding through Bluewater marsh last night and came across a body hanging from a tree . Jumped of my horse Shergar to investigate and I think somebody stabbed me , all I know is I was dead .
    Went back to the spot but the body was gone . Anybody experience this situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Annd9 wrote: »
    Riding through Bluewater marsh last night and came across a body hanging from a tree . Jumped of my horse Shergar to investigate and I think somebody stabbed me , all I know is I was dead .
    Went back to the spot but the body was gone . Anybody experience this situation ?

Happened to me it’s an ambush by those inbred folk. Stopped to investigate the body and all of a sudden I was jumped by about 7 of them.
    Body gone when I went back.

Try this; it controls so much better!!

https://youtu.be/7yOZSbDxEaE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Just something I like to do myself......find a wide open area in the game such as the grasslands around Emerald Ranch and speed full throttle on an Arabian Horse while listening to the William Tell Overture

https://youtu.be/c7O91GDWGPU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Also, anybody who enjoyed the open world feel and hunting and herb collecting in RDR2 such check out Far Cry Primal.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yeah, I've beaten this now and even tho there are strong moments (chapter 3 and 4 especially) I'm left with the feeling that I've been led around on a leash by Rockstar for 60 hours and didn't really enjoy enough of what they were showing me to call it a great experience.

I think the split in opinions on here and other places could be between people who like to take their time and soak the world in for 40 hours or so versus people breaking that up between main missions and hunting, but that's a generalisation that doesn't account for people's different tastes I suppose.

But it's the missions which really killed it for me. With the forced setting of Arthur's pace during certain scenes so you could take in the story, the fail conditions if you run around the side of an enemy location and try to flank them, weird things like this https://twitter.com/PackBenPack/status/1063915265883176960/video/1

It's all very suffocating and repetitive. For all the good work done here it feels like it lacks those truly surprising emergent systems a game like BOTW had. That game lacked narrative but it had great sythesis between its different systems. A feeling of chaos as they collide with each other and create surprising results (an example: swinging a fire sword around dry grass and see the entire area erupt in flame and enemies' wooden weapons set on fire and the tide can turn very quickly in your favour or not).

For RDR a lot of your world interactions feel carefully controlled behind an L2 contextual menu. I rarely felt surprised by anything in RDR. Apparently there is a lot of depth put into its AI and bounty systems but I couldn't find it in my playthrough sadly.

What it reminds me of is the way Naughty Dog games can hold the player by the hand and lead them through a very carefully curated section with lots of neat detail but really it's all a diorama. This feels like that but extended out over a 60 hour open world game. There's this maddening tension between an amazingly crafted open world and the stultifying missions which I never ever got over and by the end I honestly feel like RDRII is maybe one of my least favourite games of all time. I'm sorry I feel that way with it because I want to love it, I admire the details and the interactive narrative design but it always felt like R* were forcing me to march to their beat.

Sorry if this is a boring rant but reading Johnny's post made me reflect on my time with it a bit. It's an interesting title and I'm glad something like it got made but I never want to play it again I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Some interesting things I picked up on regarding reviews after finishing the game

The reviews for the recent tomb raider heavily picked at the crafting and upgrading not mattering at all during the whole game and could actually be removed.

The exact same thing is happening here too upgrading is completely pointless with what’s going on in the game you do not need to touch it once.

Yet reviews never mention this the game has issues it’s still a great game but I just don’t think it’s a 10 out of 10 game

I think reviewers give rockstar a pass on these things yet other devs get picked apart when this game has similar issues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Personally never got issues flanking enemies as it was a tactic I used in the bigger gunfights numerous times; the only time I got an out of bounds fail was when I held back looting enemies.
    The controls are something most reviewers just called stiff but that's my biggest issue with the game. Anytime the game tries to be overly ambitious in a mission you're wrestling with them. Chasing enemies on foot, climbing, stealth, targeting someone to warn them but then accidentally shooting them and the game just not telling you how to things like whistling your horse to follow you & reversing a wagon.
    biggebruv wrote: »
    I think reviewers give rockstar a pass on these things yet other devs get picked apart when this game has similar issues

I get the feeling some reviewers are afraid to give bad scores or even negative opinion to certain studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

biggebruv wrote: »
    Yet reviews never mention this the game has issues it’s still a great game but I just don’t think it’s a 10 out of 10 game

Absolutely. I finished the epilogue a few days back and no way is this a 10/10 game. 10/10 implies perfection, and while a very good game this still has many flaws.

Most of them have been discussed in the previously linked article. Just for me personally, the removal of the fast travel system that was in the original is just a baffling decision. It very much seems like Rockstar trying to force you to play the game in a way they intended, which is not what open world games should be about. Not being able to run in the camp was infuriating too.

Also from a story point of view the
    honour system and turnaround in Arthur's character in chapter 6 made no sense given how I had played the game. I'd gone around robbing and killing, and because I completed all those stranger missions where Arthur has a change of heart, I somehow ended up with a maxed out honour rating?? The scene where he beats on the guy he contracts TB from also stuck out like a soar thumb. It was completely out of character for Arthur at that point and I knew it was going to have some significance because of it. Throwing Strauss out of the camp for lending money, while on the other hand being fine with killing tens if not hundreds of lawmen trying to protect a bank from the gang made absolutely no sense. Just even putting a honour system in a game where you're free to be as evil as you want, but in the end contains a redemption story makes no sense.

It's an 8/10 for me. I definitely preferred the original, but I haven't played it in years and that's possibly only because of how I remember it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm guessing this will be another gta4 or fallout 4 were there are retrospectives months later about it being over rated. While I do think it's a better game than either of those I do feel a lot of reviewers can get caught up in the hype and not have a cynical perspective of things.

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would bit the controls are annoying. Then there's the open world. There's all these details and systems but they never really feed into the gameplay. In comparison BTW has less detailed systems but everything from the physics to the fire propagation feeds into the game resulting in many emergent game play opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I am half way through chapter 6 and I think I am done . I found the game to be completely unbelievable at times , its setting , its atmosphere , its level of detail is truly a work of art. Having said all that the game at times is very infuriating to play due to how poor the controls are . There were many instances when on chase with your crew my horse would just lock on and follow the nearest person to me when you double click the x button which is the same as the gallop command which led my horse not turning and going head first into a boulder or tree and have to start the mission on checkpoint .

It also astonishes me after all these years the controls are still something of the past with rockstar games . I be aiming straight at people with my aim locked on them and my character would still miss 80% of the time . Having to rely on dead aim or lock on , the game might aswell play by itself.

I found the mission structure to be all over the place , there is simply too many times you are forced to walk and listen to dialogue that is going no where , The camp is the biggest problem of this when you are forced to walk and cant run .
    The drunken priest
    every now again stops me in my tracks and wont let allow me to get on my horse and continue the story was beyond annoying at times .

My main last issue with the game is I have all my weapons set up and every time I get off my horse it resets my inventory and I be left doing missions with my missing key rifles . Why ? . Overall the games world and attention to detail is the strongest 10/10 I can give a game
    but the combat needs some serious fine tuning and not be stuck in the year 2007 for next generation of consoles .

I am surprised there was not more criticism of the framerate in towns. It's appalling on base PS4. Digital Foundry covered it but honestly I think they were too kind...its very choppy in St Denis and even the smaller towns. The low-framerate and consequential lack of control is surely to blame for how easy it is to accidentally run someone over or start a fight in these towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

started off loving it, but after 15 hours off play, I am now bored stiff.. Have not played it all week... So much annoys me, finding a legendary animal and killing it only to get a 2 star skin, annoys the **** out of me, I think they tried to be too cute with the making of this game, I hope online is better than the last half arsed effort of red dead 1 online,

I'd like to chime in here and say how much I love it :)

Much prefer it to RDR 1, felt the traveling and missions were much more boring that that compared to this. I also don't have a problem with the controls or shooting (I used that video posted recently a good while back so I'm sure that has helped. I tried hunting once only to be told 'too much activity, come back later'. Fecked off, camped, came back, same thing. Feck hunting.

I'm mid chapter 6 and looking how it feels that story arcs look to be closing. No more side shyte for me, gonna plough on to the end especially as 3 recommended YouTube videos were title as spoilers that I either already knew or quickly scrolled past. ****ing YouTubers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I hadn't realized until yesterday that i've been playing the game for 3 weeks now. I'm still currently on the epilogue chapters.

Interestingly i've forgotten a few things since the prologue mission. I had forgotten about meeting Sadie in the house the O’Driscolls were staying in. Later on in the game when I started getting to know her I couldn't remember meeting her and when she starting talking about her history with the O'Driscolls I was drawing a blank thinking that it happened before the game started. I re-watched the prologue mission yesterday and now everything is coming back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I hadn't realized until yesterday that i've been playing the game for 3 weeks now. I'm still currently on the epilogue chapters.

Interestingly i've forgotten a few things since the prologue mission. I had forgotten about meeting Sadie in the house the O’Driscolls were staying in. Later on in the game when I started getting to know her I couldn't remember meeting her and when she starting about her history with the O'Driscolls I was drawing a blank thinking that it happened before the game started. I re-watched the prologue mission yesterday and now everything is coming back to me. If and when I replay the game all over the game i'd say i'm going to start noticing new things about it I hadn't seen on my first playthrough.

I never realised she was the same woman until then either :o
    I like how I picked out the characters that were going to stand by me and the ones that would f*ck me over early on. I was sitting there one night saying to myself, I like that Sadie one, she’s defo got my back :pac:

Advertisement