Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Getting mixed impressions from you lot on this. It sounds like it suffers from the grind a la GTA IV. Can that be avoided, and the game just enjoyed if you skip a lot of the camp building, crafting and nonsense?

Sounds more like a job than a game from reading some of your comments :pac:

It really depends on how you see it. Is the hunting, cleaning, side missions etc needed to progress? No, not really.

But this is the very nature of open worlds. It gives the player almost unlimited choice as to what to do. Want to stick to the story mode, fine fire away. But Rockstar were attempting to create a world here, a world where things you did actually mattered. You need to take ownership of Arthur, his whole life. To become immersed in his world, to understand the trials and tribulations of the time.

They clearly got things wrong, lots of things can and should have been better done. But this game is a massive one on terms of the future of open world games. Pushing some of the boundries and giving the player almost endless activities.

In terms of value for money it is massive. Give me that over yet another COD or Mario Cart anytime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Getting mixed impressions from you lot on this. It sounds like it suffers from the grind a la GTA IV. Can that be avoided, and the game just enjoyed if you skip a lot of the camp building, crafting and nonsense?

Sounds more like a job than a game from reading some of your comments :pac:

Sure, just play the story. The people spending hours hunting/fishing and getting ingredients etc are completionists. A lot of the open world activities outside the main story are either bugged in some way or offer little reward for doing them. I am on my second playthrough and tbh I still don't really understand how crafting upgrades even work. I hunt on my way to and from missions but mostly by shooting or running over rabbits with my horse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Sounds good, thanks lads. As long as you don't have to go on dates with your horse to progress, and can ignore all the crafting or camp building that's ok by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I was almost finished the last chapter when I decided to go hunting for legendary animals, fish etc. Couldn’t be arsed looking for cigarette cards or dinosaur bones. Barely bothered upgrading anything in camp after the first few upgrades because they were all just whinging bitches. F*ck you and your pronghorn rug, sit on a log like everyone else.
    You can get by just fine without upgrading everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I was almost finished the last chapter when I decided to go hunting for legendary animals, fish etc. Couldn’t be arsed looking for cigarette cards or dinosaur bones. Barely bothered upgrading anything in camp after the first few upgrades because they were all just whinging bitches. F*ck you and your pronghorn rug, sit on a log like everyone else.

But that its strength. You can easily skip all of that stuff if you want to just 'play the story'. But there is the whole other side of the game, the open world that allows you to get completely lost and sidetracked. I have gone into the game totally focused on moving on the story but then I get held up, or end up seeing a camp fire. Suddenly 3 hours are gone and I haven't moved the story on one iota.

But it doesn't matter because I was lost in the game and the story is still waiting for me when I do get tired of the stuff. But it is great that all that stuff is not only there, but done so well in terms of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I just love Arthur and the way he see 'all the best' at the end of a NPC convo.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I like the crafting bit of the game by MY GOD why do the pelts have to be such a pain to find and keep on the bloody horse.

I have a few of the talismans now but still find it very hard to get a 3 star pelt.
    On a side note, I didnt realize until last night that once I bought a pamphlet that I had to read it to build the items on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The interesting thing for me in regards to the money lending missions, is that Arthur's wife and son were killed because of a €10 debt. I feel like that also should have played a factor in Arthur's change of heart.

Played the part last night where you find about about his past...so its fresh in my mind...
    it wasn't a $10 debt...it was they were robbed and shot dead, and all the thieves got was $10 from them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Just finished the main game.

Amazing, just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Played the part last night where you find about about his past...so its fresh in my mind...
    it wasn't a $10 debt...it was they were robbed and shot dead, and all the thieves got was $10 from them. ;)
    My bad, I could have sworn it was a $10 debt so i must have read it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Finished the main story yesterday, I think it's a great game but I did prefer the first one. Both masterpieces though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Come on Online release, I want to play as the man in black.

eq00trjmlsz11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I upgrade nothing either. Dutch got on my case about it early on so now I sporadically put 1c in the box just to spite the bollox.

I'm not paying for Uncle's drinking habit. That homunculus contributes nothing, just sits on his ass all day drinking and eating. Fcker should be drowned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's worth upgrading Arthur's digs at camp cause it gives you a map that you can use to Fast Travel from which certainly takes some of the time wasting out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's worth upgrading Arthur's digs at camp cause it gives you a map that you can use to Fast Travel from which certainly takes some of the time wasting out of the game.

I don't have many gripes with the game, but one would be the lack of option to fast travel back to the camp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Shiminay wrote: »

Used it twice pointless being in the game as you have to be at camp to actually use it.

shrewdness wrote: »
    I don't have many gripes with the game, but one would be the lack of option to fast travel back to the camp

That literally would have saved hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I remember when I was walking somewhere as a kid, I always wished I could just close my eyes and when opening them have arrived at my destination. Then video games let me do this.....then they didn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

With one major exception I enjoyed all the travelling and never used fast travel. I explored the map via the story and never visited an area in advance of the story getting there. As a result nearly all the travelling was either eventful (stranger missions, chance encounters etc) or had a sense of discovery to it. Side missions on distant parts of the map I left until I was out that way. The only time the travelling annoyed me was with two missions in chapter 6 which ditched me on the far side of the map at a crucial point in the story, but the impact of both would have been greatly lessoned had I done the missions in a different order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

They should have added boxing as another activity you can do in the game. Would be fun if you could have boxing matches in towns like Valentine, Saint Denis and Blackwater. They could even allow for boxing matches at camp too. Would love to be able to knock Micah Bell around.

Also having boxing matches would also give you the opportunity to bet on others too. So for example maybe they could set up a boxing match between Bill and Charles and you bet on who you think will win. Or if you're fighting, you could bet on yourself to win, or if you're bold enough bet on your opponent and decide to take a dive in the fight.

• Advertisement

Wonder have they plans to remaster the first game? they've pretty much done it here with most of the map from it in this and plenty of videos showing how to get into
    mexico
    maybe just add it as an expansion or something. Be really good for those that never played the original in terms of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Wonder have they plans to remaster the first game? they've pretty much done it here with most of the map from it in this and plenty of videos showing how to get into
    mexico
    maybe just add it as an expansion or something. Be really good for those that never played the original in terms of story.

Better be a free update with Undead being added as the DLC.

Tbh I think we'll be lucky if they make much effort to patch/tweak the single player. Remasters, DLC etc are wishful thinking.

Tbh I think we'll be lucky if they make much effort to patch/tweak the single player. Remasters, DLC etc are wishful thinking.

You're right to call them out on the patching. Look what the likes Ubi did with assassins creed since launch in terms of patches and we've not had one for red dead near a month since launch. I mention AC as it's the last AAA I played before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Chapter VI Spoilers:
    Ended the main game. The last hour or so was a bit drab. The train section was very buggy for me. A few cutscenes never triggered so I was standing around for ages before John would get "shot" even after you cleared the train which triggered a failed mission. I guess cause it wouldn't trigger Dutch to turn up with the horse or set the carriage on fire. The final mission - Red Dead Redemption was a bit blah. Yet another short shootout, awkward cave traversal before being chased on horseback for what feels like the 50th time. The horse getting shot was emotional, cue a messy shimmy up the mountain to kill that moment.
    Fistfight with Micah was boring and lacked any satisfaction. They tried to emulate Metal Gear Solid but at least it managed to feel as old as it. The fact you don't even get to kill Milton or Micah as Arthur was an oversight imo. I played the first mission as John but it was another case of rockstar intentionally slowing down the pace again. I don't know if I'll go straight into dedicating myself to play the rest of it right away.
    So far I'd give it a 7.5; its strange to say but I can't see myself repeating a playthrough of the whole game again, it took up so much time to play. I'm utterly baffled by the perfect scores it was given to be honest.
    Arthur grew on me in the last few chapters but I prefered John Marston in RDR 1. It surprised me when Arthur said he'd a family once but I felt that just showed how little you got to know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Did the gold glitch on my second play through just feckin around causing havoc. Stole a sherifs hat and now everyone camp calls me law man ha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You're right to call them out on the patching. Look what the likes Ubi did with assassins creed since launch in terms of patches and we've not had one for red dead near a month since launch. I mention AC as it's the last AAA I played before this.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that almost all of their resources are being poured into the online part of it, which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

sKyHPts.jpg?1

I took this pic out in Rio Bravo. Spectacular clouds.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty clear that almost all of their resources are being poured into the online part of it, which is disappointing.
    It was similar enough with GTA V I think and lets be honest, they made so much money off GTA V Online, they'd be mad not to be spending most of their time getting that ready.

Rockstar are one of those companies whose work is always such a huge critical and financial success that they simply get to write their own rules about how they do things and whilst people might complain about it, they'll ultimately still buy and play the thing because it's just too damn good not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What needs patching?

Advertisement