Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I believe RDR1 is a very badly coded mess, and a remaster is more work than its worth

At least it can be played on Xbox and PS without a remaster, albeit with PS it needs to be streamed with PS Now

I read that it looks brilliant when played on the One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just finished Chapter 6.
    So in my first play through I chose to go with John because I felt it was the right thing to do, but chose to go for the money this time around in my second play through. Overall I actually preferred the option to go after the money, mainly because of the knife fight with Micah and the fact that you get to blind him in one eye. I just think it's a great way for Arthur to go out. Plus I feel like this option ties in better with the epilogue because it actually shows Micah taking the money while given Arthur a chance to see it with his own eyes. I don't know, I just think it's better than the option to go with John even if it does seem a bit wrong to leave him like that, but John survives either way so it's all good in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

20silkcut wrote: »
    Don’t think many would call RDR 1 anything but a classic.
    They have the environment and the dialogue there ready to go.

Various sources have said that an RDR1 remaster won't happen. Rumors going around suggested that the original source code had been lost or deleted, and others said that it was such a mess to code that it would take far too much work to reproduce on current gen machines. The guys on the Splitscreen podcast have mentioned it a few times.
    While I loved RDR, I'd rather Rockstar produce more single player content for RDR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Imagine getting rdr2 as a present on Christmas morning and realizing it could be well into tomorrow before you could play it particularly in a bad rural broadband area. Worse than having a toy and no batteries.
    God be with the days of the Atari 2600 and Sega mega drive where you just stick in the cartridge and away ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Notorious wrote: »
    Various sources have said that an RDR1 remaster won't happen. Rumors going around suggested that the original source code had been lost or deleted, and others said that it was such a mess to code that it would take far too much work to reproduce on current gen machines. The guys on the Splitscreen podcast have mentioned it a few times.
    While I loved RDR, I'd rather Rockstar produce more single player content for RDR2.

Fair enough I know nothing about code.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If it were to happen it wouldn't be a remaster but a remake that would be released as single player DLC for RDR2, so the problems with the code that prevented a remaster before would be less of an issue since everything would have to be re-written for RDR2's engine anyway. Like the areas from RDR1 that are in RDR2 (New Austin etc) haven't been remastered or ported over, they've been totally remade. They would have to do the same for Mexico and all the missions etc. That's a helluva lot of work which is why I'm sceptical, but I don't really know how else to explain the adult Jack glitch that's been discovered except that they seriously considered it at some stage. However, there was code from single player DLC in GTA V that never saw the light of day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally finished this last night. Chapter 6 was a slog, and good ending aside, I didn't enjoy the last chapter at all. When [/spoiler]my horse[/spoiler] got killed, it was more emotional that when
    Arthur died
    for me. When
    you continue as John actually gave me a bit of a refreshment in the game, and I started to enjoy playing it again, but that was quickly killed off due to Johns insistence on trying to be a good father. You're not John, stop trying to be. I didn't wait through the 45 minute credits, I'll check the video on YouTube later today (they have me working on Xmas day, I'll do as little as possible). The fight with Micah was alright, he didn't have a face for the last bit after the Dead-Eye part, enjoyed that. Thought they were going to make the last shootout of the game a standoff. Good thing they didn't, I didn't fancy getting shot 25 times while I try and figure out the mechanic for the part you do maybe 4 times in the whole game!!
    Overall, it's a stunning looking game, I really don't know how they managed the draw distance with that level of quality, and the world does suck you in. But like most other Rockstar games, it started to feel flat towards the end, had some crazy story choices, and just fell at the last hurdle for GOTY. While Roger Clark definitely deserved the award for best performance, I'm happy to stick with God of War for GOTY due to being more focussed.

And onto the future of the game, I will be very surprised if we don't get RDR1 as DLC. And here's why. The map that came with the physical copy of the game. On the reverse of the map is Mexico. Now why would they give that if there was no intention to ever include it in the game? I actually thought the game was going to be twice as big when I first started playing it due to the physical map. I even told friends who were playing the digital version that there's still Mexico to go to, as I didn't know better at the time. (Bonus tip, the physical map has X's and o's and tips for bones, etc on it).

I'm happy to be finished the game finally, and while I'd love to jump back into it and go hunting, clear challenges, etc, the lack of decent fast travel and the ability to only hold 1 large pelt at a time is stopping me from doing this. I'll be trading it in and picking up something else, and I'll pick this up again in 6 months or so, unless they release RDR1 on it before then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

And onto the future of the game, I will be very surprised if we don't get RDR1 as DLC. And here's why. The map that came with the physical copy of the game. On the reverse of the map is Mexico. Now why would they give that if there was no intention to ever include it in the game? I actually thought the game was going to be twice as big when I first started playing it due to the physical map. I even told friends who were playing the digital version that there's still Mexico to go to, as I didn't know better at the time. (Bonus tip, the physical map has X's and o's and tips for bones, etc on it).

Mexico is is beyond the boundaries of the physical and in-game maps. Just because they name it on the map doesn't mean they have plans to add it to the game.

Mexico is is beyond the boundaries of the physical and in-game maps. Just because they name it on the map doesn't mean they have plans to add it to the game.

It's not that it just appears, the entire opposite side of the physical map is a map of Mexico. It looks like part 2 of the map. I reckon if they did re-release RDR1 as DLC, they would make a killing. Yes, it won't be GTA Online levels of money, but unless something drastically changes, RDRO doesn't look like it will be the cash cow they were hoping. But DLC would sell like hot cakes imo. Especially if that DLC is an entire 'new' game.

It's not that it just appears, the entire opposite side of the physical map is a map of Mexico. It looks like part 2 of the map.

The area on the back of the physical map is not Mexico, it's New Austin (i.e. Texas) which is in the game but only one mission takes place there. You can access it after chapter 6. It's pretty barren but there's a couple of bounty hunters missions and a few chance encounters to do there.

• Advertisement

The area on the back of the physical map is not Mexico, it's New Austin (i.e. Texas) which is in the game but only one mission takes place there. You can access it after chapter 6. It's pretty barren but there's a couple of bounty hunters missions and a few chance encounters to do there.

Oh. Must have another look at it, was convinced it said Mexico!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Lads is getting that white Arabian horse in the game worth it. I've gone up to those snowy mountains twice but I keep getting thrown off the horse and can't tame it.

It is worth trying again? Is there a big difference between that horse and the other ones?

I thought the one from the stables in San Denis had better stats could be wrong, but the tool tip on game when you tame a horse reminds you they retain some of their traits. So really not sure about what difference there is. For me no it wasn't worth the trouble. Mine died very early on too so wasn't going to tame another.

The Rose Grey Bay one has the better stats of the three types you can buy. 7HP and 7STA , white is 5 and black is 6 for those stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

I thought the one from the stables in San Denis had better stats could be wrong, but the tool tip on game when you tame a horse reminds you they retain some of their traits. So really not sure about what difference there is. For me no it wasn't worth the trouble. Mine died very early on too so wasn't going to tame another.

Im still only on chapter 4 i think, coming close the end of it i think, but that black horse you buy there is a little bitch altho great stats. Have it maxed out on bonding as well.

Thunda and Thunda 2.0 will always be remembered. Like a dog running next to car, except they preffered trains.

They have the best stats for getting places quickly, but I hated that Arthur looked like he was riding a donkey, in comparison to what Ahaon was. And I got the black one in St. Denis, and while he shared the naming pattern, Adó, I just didn't like the look. Went back to Ahaon till the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

On chapter 6 at the minute. Hit a wall in chapter 5. Didn't like it at all but playing for a few hours today after dinner and I love the game again. Don't like how Arthur is
    sick. As the effects from food sources does not work so well which is annoying as I used to use a big game meat and herbs to enhance his cores which used to last a long time now it is only enhanced for a really short time and you cannot eat another once it wears off as it is wasted. Very annoying.

EDIT: I had to edit as I had the wrong chapters put in.

On chapter 6 at the minute. Hit a wall in chapter 5. Didn't like it at all but playing for a few hours today after dinner and I love the game again. Don't like how Arthur is
    sick. As the effects from food sources does not work so well which is annoying as I used to use a big game meat and herbs to enhance his cores which used to last a long time now it is only enhanced for a really short time and you cannot eat another once it wears off as it is wasted. Very annoying.

This.
    When I found out Arthur was sick, it genuinely took some enjoyment out of the game for me. Suppose it's good writing/story if it made me feel that way, as I didn't think a man with TB should be out doing what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Lads is getting that white Arabian horse in the game worth it. I've gone up to those snowy mountains twice but I keep getting thrown off the horse and can't tame it.

It is worth trying again? Is there a big difference between that horse and the other ones?

not really it's nice to have but not necessary, that said I spent a week trying to capture it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well Arthur is
    dead. I drove the wagon from strawberry to the ranch
    and then called it quits for a while. I will get back stuck into it some time later or maybe tomorrow depending if I head out later.
    I don't like how I have no money or guns. And the wife going on about honest living.

Completed the Master Hunter challenge and that in itself was an odyssey! I now have to complete another 8? Give me strength. This is going to be the longest journey to Platinum I've ever undertaken.

Some other useful tips I've only just discovered that might be helpful for others who still haven't:

Hold circle (B for xbox) when deep in menus to instantly come out and back into the game.

Hold options on ps4 to go straight to map.

You can feed your horse while riding it, you don't have to come off to do it.

When you see some KKK members in the act (and you're playing honourably) don't intervene right away. They often end up digging their own grave so you'll miss out on the full amusing scene if you do.

I would also recommend doing the challenges early. They are a great practice run and will get you fully integrated with what are very deep and complex systems.

+1 for doing the challenges early. You don't get credit towards them when they come up from what you have already done so stuff like gathering the herbs and crimes won't count and you can potentially waste loads of time repeating things unnecessarily like I did.

The big 2 for 100% and platinum are not missing the optional missions and requests and the gold medals. Wish I'd risked the spoilers and read the guides for the golds. It's easier to start a new save for that one than replay them as you start with little or nothing in terms of guns and healing stuff.

• Advertisement

Why the new people want 100% platinum?
    Not laughing at anyone but just asking as someone who doesn't care, is it just an accomplishment thing, ocd thing, or just why the **** not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Why the new people want 100% platinum?
    Not laughing at anyone but just asking as someone who doesn't care, is it just an accomplishment thing, ocd thing, or just why the **** not?

I'm not going for the platinum in this because it looks ridiculously tedious but usually it's just a fun way to extend the playing time of a game that I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Just finished part two of the epilogue. I have to say I was very close to giving up on this in chapter 2, just felt the game wasn’t pulling me in.

By the end though I was completely hooked and as someone who loved God of War, I still think Red Dead trumps it for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm on Epilogue 2. Didn't do any of the "challenges" as they never really registered as something I was supposed to do because the only time I saw them mentioned was when I was randomly wandering through the land, so I just assumed the rest of them would follow suit.

Flyer29 wrote: »
    Just finished part two of the epilogue. I have to say I was very close to giving up on this in chapter 2, just felt the game wasn’t pulling me in.

By the end though I was completely hooked and as someone who loved God of War, I still think Red Dead trumps it for me.

I'm the opposite, the first few Chapters had me hooked and I thought it may knock GoW off my personal GOTY pedestal. Then Chapter 5 and 6 happened and it ended any possibility that it would overtake GoW.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got back into this last night, still on chapter 3, came across the stranger mission where you have to
    catch the animals for you're man Margaret, brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

This game is the debt collector simulator I never knew I wanted.

Advertisement