Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,875 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ERG89 wrote: »
    He has since attempted to defuse it but a lot of ex-employees are saying he's full of sh*t essentially.

8yhxijiodds11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The shotgun is - The Privilige of working on a Rockstar Game..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is there any chance Smyths will price match SuperValu?

I'd say they knew they wouldn't be cheapest so went for a pre order model to tie people to buying it.

I was close to pre ordering it with them but luckily SV will be doing it cheaper which I didn't think they would.

Meanwhile, digital download with no manufacturing or production costs is €70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

With possibly the biggest media product release since GTA V, I'd rather have a guaranteed pre order from Smyths, than chance my arm hoping that a SV has some in stock. But that's just me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I often grumble about this, Mr Grumble but it's not going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Whatever percentage of the per unit cost which is saved due to the lack of physical production costs and retailer cuts is forfeited to the platform-holder cut incurred via digital distribution on PSN and XBL, namely the industry standard 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I'd say they knew they wouldn't be cheapest so went for a pre order model to tie people to buying it.

I was close to pre ordering it with them but luckily SV will be doing it cheaper which I didn't think they would.

They do the €5 discount when pre-ordering for pretty much every game in fairness to them, SuperValu selling it has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭weiland79

Its a long time since a game sold out on launch day. I dont think even GTA V did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I’m going to resurrect my PS4 after a 2 year hiatus, will there be much of a difference between playing this on the vanilla PS4 compared to the pro version? Apart from 4K/HDR capability.

• Advertisement

no there's a big difference in some games when you couple a pro with a decent hdr/4k tv but otherwise you'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭naughto

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I’m going to resurrect my PS4 after a 2 year hiatus, will there be much of a difference between playing this on the vanilla PS4 compared to the pro version? Apart from 4K/HDR capability.

I’d turn it on now surly there be a sh1te load of updates to do before you download the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

does anyone know if i could buy the game at midnight launch without pre ordering in smyths?
    i want to use a gift card and they dont accept them if i pre ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

4real wrote: »
    does anyone know if i could buy the game at midnight launch without pre ordering in smyths?

Why not? They have already received the money for it. That’s ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A disc and a box and distribution is only a few cents per unit anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,032 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dohnjoe wrote: »

And digital downloads still require huge infrastructure to facilitate it, especially where hundreds of thousands will be downloading such huge files in the one go.

Ultimately, PSN and XBL sell the games digitally for the RRP. It's brick and mortar shops who decide themselves to sell under the RRP, taking smaller profits per unit but hopefully translating to bigger sales and profits overall.

This may be true but is there any reason for the digital download to be more expensive? Sometimes it's €50 v €70 which is a 40% difference.
    Overall distribution costs must be enormous when compared to digital.

I prefer digital for the convenience but it irks me it's more expensive. When ultimately my PS4 bricks because of some lapse in PSN security I'll be irked some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Less economics, more horse bollix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

gimli2112 wrote: »
    This may be true but is there any reason for the digital download to be more expensive? Sometimes it's €50 v €70 which is a 40% difference.
    Overall distribution costs must be enormous when compared to digital.

I prefer digital for the convenience but it irks me it's more expensive. When ultimately my PS4 bricks because of some lapse in PSN security I'll be irked some more.

I thought I read somewhere that it has to do with it being a European store and the prices are in line with the more expensive countries?

You mean you can't pre-order it and pay in full with a gift card? who told you that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

marcbrophy wrote: »

I bought an xbox soon as I heard about the horse bollixes,

I mean, if that doesn't convince you to get on board - what will?

Pining for this game now, I only played bits of RDR in passing and really loved it, this is going to be infinitely better!

bigphil2 wrote: »
    You mean you can't pre-order it and pay in full with a gift card? who told you that?

Smyths Customer Services did, it says on their website too.

https://www.smythstoys.com/help-gift-card

Unfortunately, gift cards cannot be used as a payment method for items on pre-order, eGifts cards or electronic downloads.

Smyths Customer Services did, it says on their website too.

https://www.smythstoys.com/help-gift-card

Unfortunately, gift cards cannot be used as a payment method for items on pre-order, eGifts cards or electronic downloads.

Thats ridiculous..but yet you can walk in on the friday and pay for the thing with the same card..

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous..but yet you can walk in on the friday and pay for the thing with the same card..

I was hoping to do this on Midnight Launch to save time but will see what happens. That rule above is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Thinking of getting this

problem is I'm PC only so would need a so called "games console" to play it, is there much of a diff between xbox and PS4? (I could grab one second hand)

Thinking of getting this

problem is I'm PC only so would need a so called "games console" to play it, is there much of a diff between xbox and PS4? (I could grab one second hand)

Wars have started over less.
    The right answer is get the one your friends play on . If you have no console playing friends either one is fine for RDR2. I thought I saw the Xbox has some early access although only 7 days and presumably some extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,264 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Wars have started over less.
    The right answer is get the one your friends play on . If you have no console playing friends either one is fine for RDR2. I thought I saw the Xbox has some early access although only 7 days and presumably some extras.

The X version will probably be the best version but we don't know yet for sure.

There was a deal posted in the Xbox Forum earlier where you got the X and BLOPs 4, FH4, Sea Of Thieves and State Of Decay for £420.

You'd probably get €100 selling the games at least so a decent discount on the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

marcbrophy wrote: »

Neigh bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Thinking of getting this

If you're going second hand I'd go for the PS4 as you're probably looking at the original consoles rather than the PS4 Pro or Xbox X.

There's a substantial power difference between original xbox and original PS4. The PS4 will undoubtedly look better/have a higher frame rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,032 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thinking of getting this

I'd say if RDR2 is all you can see yourself using it for, go with whichever second hand console you can find for the cheapest. There's really little between them for the most part.

If you're going to be playing the multiplayer, pick whichever one you think most of your friends will also be playing on so you can play online with them.

If you think you're going to venture into playing other games, I'd suggest the PS4 for the exclusives (as Xbox exclusives are already playable on PC).

If you want to play RDR2 with the best graphics available, Xbox One X (though might be hard to find a cheap one second hand compared to the PS4 and Xbox One base models).

Advertisement